What is 2 grains in tyromix?

forterpride

Hello all,

I was reading that Broda Barnes dosed her patients with 2 grains of thyroid. Does anybody know what the equivalent of that would be with Tyromix?? Thank you.

shine

Approx. 12 drops. But I wouldn't take that as a single dose since that would be 36 mcg T3 at once.

1 grain is approx. equal to 100-112 mcg T4, depending on the source. You have to multiply T3 by 4 to get T4.

1 drop contains 3 mcg T3, so 4 x 3 mcg T3 = 12 mcg T4. It also contains 6 mcg T4, 12 + 6 = 18 mcg T4 per drop.

100-112 mcg T4 per grain divided by 18 mcg T4 per drop = 5,56 - 6,2 drops for 1 grain.

So it's about 11-12 drops.

Last edited:
OP
forterpride

forterpride

12 drops. But I wouldn't take that as a single dose since that would be 36 mcg T3 at once.
Thanks. Would 6drops 2x a day be good? Or better to split it into 3 doses throughout the day? The former would be much easier to remember for my mom.

shine

Thanks. Would 6drops 2x a day be good? Or better to split it into 3 doses throughout the day? The former would be much easier to remember for my mom.

I edited my first post to show how I calculated it. I don't think I would be able to tolerate 18 mcg T3 at once. But I also have never tried such a dose.
Does she have experience taking thyroid? You don't start people on 2 grain. I'd start with 1 drop 1-2 times a day and then slowly increase the dose if necessary.

OP
forterpride

forterpride

I edited my first post to show how I calculated it. I don't think I would be able to tolerate 18 mcg T3 at once. But I also have never tried such a dose.
Does she have experience taking thyroid? You don't start people on 2 grain. I'd start with 1 drop 1-2 times a day and then slowly increase the dose if necessary.
She’s been taking 4 drops twice a day for over a year now without adverse affects. But since I read that Broda had all her patients on 2 grains I wanted to experiment with that dose with tyromix.

shine

Then I would try 2 x 5 drops first.
Did she complain about her energy levels or something else? Is it even necessary to up the dose? Taking more isn't necessarily better.

OP
forterpride

forterpride

Approx. 12 drops. But I wouldn't take that as a single dose since that would be 36 mcg T3 at once.

1 grain is approx. equal to 100-112 mcg T4, depending on the source. You have to multiply T3 by 4 to get T4.

1 drop contains 3 mcg T3, so 4 x 3 mcg T3 = 12 mcg T4. It also contains 6 mcg T4, 12 + 6 = 18 mcg T4 per drop.

100-112 mcg T4 per grain divided by 18 mcg T4 per drop = 5,56 - 6,2 drops for 1 grain.

So it's about 11-12 drops.
Wow. Thanks
Then I would try 2 x 5 drops first.
Did she complain about her energy levels or something else? Is it even necessary to up the dose? Taking more isn't necessarily better.
thats exactly what she complained about. She says she still feels like she has low energy. Thanks so much for the grain breakdown. I’ll have her try 5x2 and see how she feels on it.

shine

Wow. Thanks

thats exactly what she complained about. She says she still feels like she has low energy. Thanks so much for the grain breakdown. I’ll have her try 5x2 and see how she feels on it.

Does she take B-vitamins and magnesium too? Those are important factors for energy metabolism as well.

OP
forterpride

forterpride

Does she take B-vitamins and magnesium too? Those are important factors for energy metabolism as well.
No. She only takes tyromix, estroban, and k2. Any good sources for those supplements? Thanks

shine

No. She only takes tyromix, estroban, and k2. Any good sources for those supplements? Thanks

I like the "Pure Encapsulations B - Complex Plus". It is one of the more expensive B-complexes but it is high quality.
Regarding magnesium, any magnesium glycinate should be good. I'd start with 100mg/day.

OP
forterpride

forterpride

I like the "Pure Encapsulations B - Complex Plus". It is one of the more expensive B-complexes but it is high quality.
Regarding magnesium, any magnesium glycinate should be good. I'd start with 100mg/day.
Thanks shine!

OP
forterpride

forterpride

Hi Shine. Quick question. How many of the B complex capsules should my mother take a day? And which do you think is more important...magnesium or the B complex? thanks.

Jem Oz

Trivial clarification: Broda was a dude. Although I'm sure he spent much of his life being 'misgendered'. ;)

Elsewhere, has your mum ever tried NDT?

OP
forterpride

forterpride

Trivial clarification: Broda was a dude. Although I'm sure he spent much of his life being 'misgendered'. ;)

Elsewhere, has your mum ever tried NDT?
Whoops....

No. She’s only tried synthroid and now she takes tyromix.

shine

Hi Shine. Quick question. How many of the B complex capsules should my mother take a day? And which do you think is more important...magnesium or the B complex? thanks.

The "B-complex Plus" from Pure Encapsulations has a fairly high dose, one capsule is enough.
I don't think there is such a thing as which is more important since all of these factors work hand in hand with the other.

OP
forterpride

forterpride

The "B-complex Plus" from Pure Encapsulations has a fairly high dose, one capsule is enough.
I don't think there is such a thing as which is more important since all of these factors work hand in hand with the other.
Thanks Shine

OP
forterpride

forterpride

Hi Shine. Is there any way to buy products from Pure Encapsulations without doing it through a provider?? I can't find anywhere on the site to buy it direct.

shine

Hi Shine. Is there any way to buy products from Pure Encapsulations without doing it through a provider?? I can't find anywhere on the site to buy it direct.

I live in Germany so I buy it via the german amazon site. I don't know of any way to buy it directly from their site, it just prompts you to type in your address and then searches for a nearby pharmacy.

OP
forterpride

forterpride

I live in Germany so I buy it via the german amazon site. I don't know of any way to buy it directly from their site, it just prompts you to type in your address and then searches for a nearby pharmacy.
K. Thanks Shine

bluefish

sorry to jump in here... Ive been messing w tyromix also... I was trying to raising temp and pulse. And improve my general energy levels I guess.
I started w 1 drop.. and then through the last few months, ended up doing 16 (4 drops x4/day). my temp and pulse never raised actually. I did end up getting a flared up temp and pulse for about a week: my temp shot up to 101 and pulse peaked also around 90... then both slowly dropped to 98.6 for 2 days... then dropped all the way down to what I usually have which is around 97.2.

for a few days I started taking 24 drops, then decided Im crazy and dont know what im doing so I'm planning to do a maintenance dose at 12/day (4drops 3xday).
I have no idea what Im doing w this stuff.

I wanted to see if I could raise my pulse temp but doesnt seem like they want to go up.

Thoughts? suggestions? thanks!

side note, as of last few days my digestion is very slow and no appetite.

also taking idealabs: K, mag, and MB