What increase phosphorus absorbtion and decrease calcium absorbtion at the same time?

BearWithMe

My phosphorus stores are getting more and more depleted, as my blood and urine levels of phosphorus are lower and lower each time I test. I also have slight hypercalcemia.

I'm eating 3g of Phosphorus a day, vast majority of it comes from milk, a little bit from meat and cola.

What could help me to increase phosphorus absorbtion and shift the ratio more towards the phosphorus side?

Dr. B

My phosphorus stores are getting more and more depleted, as my blood and urine levels of phosphorus are lower and lower each time I test. I also have slight hypercalcemia.

I'm eating 3g of Phosphorus a day, vast majority of it comes from milk, a little bit from meat and cola.

What could help me to increase phosphorus absorbtion and shift the ratio more towards the phosphorus side?
apparently, niacinamide increases phosphorus excretion, and fructose increases it. lactose itself also might. are you sure its too much phosphorus? Ray seems to like lowering it, he said lowering PTH fixed lots of kidney issues, and young bones are made of calcium carbonate and the aging replaces more of the calcium with phosphorus. are you actually feeling worse or just going based off phosphorus being low in blood tests? if your getting nearly 3g phosphorus a day from milk, plus some meat and cola, you likely have more than enough phosphorus unless youre supplementing a lot of niacinamide or something

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

apparently, niacinamide increases phosphorus excretion, and fructose increases it. lactose itself also might. are you sure its too much phosphorus? Ray seems to like lowering it, he said lowering PTH fixed lots of kidney issues, and young bones are made of calcium carbonate and the aging replaces more of the calcium with phosphorus. are you actually feeling worse or just going based off phosphorus being low in blood tests? if your getting nearly 3g phosphorus a day from milk, plus some meat and cola, you likely have more than enough phosphorus unless youre supplementing a lot of niacinamide or something
Yes you are 100% right, niacinamide causes phosphorus excretion. Have learned this very hard way when I lost 3 teeth after supplementing niacinamide. Will never do that again. :D

I have textbook symptoms of hypophosphatemia. All of them, pretty much. My blood phosphorus is 1.1 mg/dL and my urine excretion of phosphorus is below detectable levels = I'm absorbing almost none of the phosphorus I eat. But can't figure out why.

michael94

I think this is a kidney issue, and not just the amounts of phosphorous you are eating. People with certain kidney problems have these sorts of strange phosphprous and calcium imbalances, including phosphorous status not improving after supplementation. That is even discussed in the medical publishings on hypophosphatemia (for some patients). This is such a tricky situation that it seems irresponsible to give advice over the internet.

Last edited:

Dr. B

Yes you are 100% right, niacinamide causes phosphorus excretion. Have learned this very hard way when I lost 3 teeth after supplementing niacinamide. Will never do that again. :D

I have textbook symptoms of hypophosphatemia. All of them, pretty much. My blood phosphorus is 1.1 mg/dL and my urine excretion of phosphorus is below detectable levels = I'm absorbing almost none of the phosphorus I eat. But can't figure out why.
how did you lose the teeth just from that?
thats crazy. didnt Ray said people eatng fructose built bone since it helped absorb calcium and excrete phosphorus...
i think creatine can increase phosphate levels too?
vitamin d increases the ratio of calcium absobred vs phosphate i think

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

how did you lose the teeth just from that?
thats crazy. didnt Ray said people eatng fructose built bone since it helped absorb calcium and excrete phosphorus...
i think creatine can increase phosphate levels too?
vitamin d increases the ratio of calcium absobred vs phosphate i think
Ray is right, for most people it works like that. For most people, it is very hard if not impossible to get phosphorus deficiency, and having a bit more calcium than phosphorus is very healthy. But in the rare cases when the phosphorus gets too low, really bad things start to happen

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I think this is a kidney issue, and not just the amounts of phosphorous you are eating. People with certain kidney problems have these sorts of strange phosphprous and calcium imbalances, including phosphorous status not improving after supplementation. That is even discussed in the medical publishings on hypophosphatemia (for some patients). This is such a tricky situation that it seems irresponsible to give advice over the internet. I can share on my experiences if you are interested (with that disclaimer)
Yes please! That would be awesome if you could share your experiences!

Tim Lundeen

Have you checked parathyroid levels? Parathyroid tumors can cause chronically elevated PT and consequent low P, elevated Ca.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Have you checked parathyroid levels? Parathyroid tumors can cause chronically elevated PT and consequent low P, elevated Ca.
That's a good point. Not yet. I definitely need to get my PTH checked as soon as possible!

tankasnowgod

If you are trying to increase phosphorus, don't eat it at the same time as calcium. Calcium carbonate works great as a phosphate binder-

The calcium in milk might have similar effects.

So, shifting away from milk to more meat, might help.

Tim Lundeen

When are you checking your P levels, in the morning after fasting? Normal PT is low during the day, rises during the night and peaks during sleep, then falls early morning. So it is possible that you are getting very high PT during the night, causing very low P in the AM for testing. You might check blood Ca/P/PT at multiple times during the day. Also, it's possible that high P intake would cause high PT during the day. Studies show P over 1250/day can elevate PT (somewhat offset by high Ca intake), or that low Ca levels will raise PT. So you could try lowering P to < 1000mg/day in divided meals, have Ca with each meal to keep that inflow high enough to keep PT down, perhaps a total Ca of 500-1000mg/day...

Have you also checked insulin and blood glucose? Insulin lowers P, most likely by increasing cellular intake. So chronically elevated insulin (not offset by glucagon) might lower P. If your morning blood glucose is over 83, that would tend to lower P (but I would be surprised it could lower it to 1!).

Thyroid tends to raise P, I think by increasing metabolic rate and lowering insulin, which then leaves more P in the blood. Are you low thyroid?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

When are you checking your P levels, in the morning after fasting? Normal PT is low during the day, rises during the night and peaks during sleep, then falls early morning. So it is possible that you are getting very high PT during the night, causing very low P in the AM for testing. You might check blood Ca/P/PT at multiple times during the day. Also, it's possible that high P intake would cause high PT during the day. Studies show P over 1250/day can elevate PT (somewhat offset by high Ca intake), or that low Ca levels will raise PT. So you could try lowering P to < 1000mg/day in divided meals, have Ca with each meal to keep that inflow high enough to keep PT down, perhaps a total Ca of 500-1000mg/day...

Have you also checked insulin and blood glucose? Insulin lowers P, most likely by increasing cellular intake. So chronically elevated insulin (not offset by glucagon) might lower P. If your morning blood glucose is over 83, that would tend to lower P (but I would be surprised it could lower it to 1!).

Thyroid tends to raise P, I think by increasing metabolic rate and lowering insulin, which then leaves more P in the blood. Are you low thyroid?
This is awesome post, thank you!

I definitely have insulin issues, I have hypoglycemia very often, for no apparent reason. But I was never diagnosed with diabetes or prediabetes.

Yes I'm also low thyroid, but supplementing thyroid makes my low phosphorus much worse. I was never able to tolerate thyroid supplements for this reason.

Need to check my PTH as soon as possible.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Would it be possible that my stomach acid is so low I'm just not absorbing nether calcium nor phosphorus?