What If You Left Your Fever As Is?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

The solution to cancer is inside us all the time. This is so uplifting. It is like the force is in us all the time. Just have to go back to our own nature to overcome the scourge. Well, I hope that is the conclusion I get after I get the book and read it. To think that we are relying on chemo and radiation and antibiotics, it is like turning back on our own true selves and seeking answers from where there's none.

It's said that we have cancers in us all the time, but those of us who don't suffer from it is because our body constantly destroys these cancers. Isn't it possible that we get fevers from time to time without really so much as noticing it, and maybe it's because of these fevers that our body is able to rid itself of these cancers?

I also think about people who seemed invincible, never having taken any sick days for a decade or two, and suddenly they are diagnosed with cancer. Could it be that their lack of experiencing fever be a contributory cause to their susceptibility to cancer? Just rambling.

Last edited:

Djukami

Regarding insulin resistant, I find this video explaining it in a very simple way:

As I see it, if a person becomes hypoglycemic easily, it means that you have too much insulin circulating in your blood. That's why blood glucose levels fall too much after not eating something. Insulin puts glucose levels too low. Then, you need to eat more sugar regularly to maintain normals levels, because your body is overproducing insulin (insulin resistant).
I don't think it's your case though.
Actually, since I am not an expert, I could say also that you are so glucose adapted that your body just doesn't go for fat energy when you deplete all your glycogen depots.

But one person could just do the HOMA blood test, check insulin levels and also do HbA1c test to check it, no?

But you seem to be saying that one can be insulin resistant without being hypoglycemic
Isn't that possible? I mean, one could be insulin resistant and the body starts to 'eat' itself to maintain normal blood glucose levels. So you do not feel hypoglycemic because the body is really smart to maintain the levels stable.
I remember heard somewhere that diabetic people usually don't have big buttocks (muscle). Ok, there may be too much generalization in this example, but as I understand it, is that the body is eating its own muscle to maintain normal glucose levels.

kayumochi

The solution to cancer is inside us all the time. This is so uplifting. It is like the force is in us all the time. Just have to go back to our own nature to overcome the scourge. Well, I hope that is the conclusion I get after I get the book and read it. To think that we are relying on chemo and radiation and antibiotics, it is like turning back on our own true selves and seeking answers from where there's none.

It's said that we have cancers in us all the time, but those of us who don't suffer from it is because our body constantly destroys these cancers. Isn't it possible that we get fevers from time to time without really so much as noticing it, and maybe it's because of these fevers that our body is able to rid itself of these cancers?

I also think about people who seemed invincible, never having taken any sick days for a decade or two, and suddenly they are diagnosed with cancer. Could it be that their lack of experiencing fever be a contributory cause to their susceptibility to cancer? Just rambling.

20 years or so ago I saw a report that indicated that people who reported that they "never got a cold" were diagnosed with cancer more often. Again, this was 20 (or more) years ago so the study may be dated.

Kate

when I was little I had a fever, and I started to hallucinate...
never took anything for it, and i am still here XD

OP
yerrag

yerrag

20 years or so ago I saw a report that indicated that people who reported that they "never got a cold" were diagnosed with cancer more often. Again, this was 20 (or more) years ago so the study may be dated.
Good studies don't run out of fashion. They just get buried. :(

when I was little I had a fever, and I started to hallucinate...
never took anything for it, and i am still here XD
Sadly, now you have a job and you're needed yesterday! ;) I hope you're still doing it. Come to think of it, I let my fever subside by itself when I used to have the flu. Now, I don't get the flu anymore but I should welcome an occasional fever or two.

Last edited:

tara

Could it be that their lack of experiencing fever be a contributory cause to their susceptibility to cancer?
Interesting speculation. Maybe chronic mildly low metabolism and therefore chronic low body temps - ie lower than normal 37C, even without fevers, could be making many people's immune system less effective at clearing out incipient cancers too, and then one would be less likely to get the occasional boost above normal.
I think there has been some study done on using limited period of applying heat to achieve systemic hyperthermia to treat metastatic cancers, but I don't know how far it's gone or how effective.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Interesting speculation. Maybe chronic mildly low metabolism and therefore chronic low body temps - ie lower than normal 37C, even without fevers, could be making many people's immune system less effective at clearing out incipient cancers too, and then one would be less likely to get the occasional boost above normal.
I think there has been some study done on using limited period of applying heat to achieve systemic hyperthermia to treat metastatic cancers, but I don't know how far it's gone or how effective.
It seems to me we are getting to appreciate how important a healthy thyroid is, and having protective hormones, that allow or make the body heat up when needed. This would keep us away from having cancer- the malignant kind.

tara

It seems to me we are getting to appreciate how important a healthy thyroid is, and having protective hormones, that allow or make the body heat up when needed. This would keep us away from having cancer- the malignant kind.
At least one of the factors that would be nice to have in our defence, anyway.

tara

I think there has been some study done on using limited period of applying heat to achieve systemic hyperthermia ...
Some descriptions of mechanisms related to hyperthermia, cancer, heat shock proteins, in this:
'Hyperthermia as an immunotherapy strategy for cancer' 2009
Hyperthermia as an immunotherapy strategy for cancer
Some of the references probably describe some relevant parts of the story too.

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

As I see it, if a person becomes hypoglycemic easily, it means that you have too much insulin circulating in your blood. That's why blood glucose levels fall too much after not eating something. Insulin puts glucose levels too low. Then, you need to eat more sugar regularly to maintain normals levels, because your body is overproducing insulin (insulin resistant).
I don't think it's your case though.
Actually, since I am not an expert, I could say also that you are so glucose adapted that your body just doesn't go for fat energy when you deplete all your glycogen depots.

But one person could just do the HOMA blood test, check insulin levels and also do HbA1c test to check it, no?
It took me awhile to internalize that video. It does not really come to terms with Ray Peat's ideas, which I agree with fully. It says insulin resistance is caused by the body having full glycogen reserves, which forces insulin to be forced to convert blood sugar to fat. And that because the process (of sugar converting to fat) is slow, the blood sugar stays high (implied - at least I interpret as such), the body keeps producing insulin. It says the solution is to fast so that glycogen can be used up, and to not overeat.

It doesn't talk about another cause - high blood sugar, because blood sugar is not being metabolized due to the presence of free fatty acids (PUFAs) which blocks the metabolism of sugar, as it is the free fatty acids themselves that are being metabolized.

The prescribed solution -fasting- also assumes the availability of glycogen stores, that can be converted to sugar in the blood. This solution is simplistic. It assumes everyone has glycogen stores, which isn't the case. The reason why my blood sugar gets low then, was because after three hours, insulin has pushed my blood sugar low, and my glycogen reserves are not supplying my blood with sugar.

Also, fasting isn't a solution for me. 3 hours after eating, I become hypoglycemic. How can fasting work for me?

Isn't that possible? I mean, one could be insulin resistant and the body starts to 'eat' itself to maintain normal blood glucose levels. So you do not feel hypoglycemic because the body is really smart to maintain the levels stable.
I remember heard somewhere that diabetic people usually don't have big buttocks (muscle). Ok, there may be too much generalization in this example, but as I understand it, is that the body is eating its own muscle to maintain normal glucose levels
Maybe it's possible to be insulin-resistant and not be hypoglycemic, as the above video shows.

But in my case, I wasn't insulin resistant. But I was hypoglyemic. My contest is different and does not fall under the context of that video. That video tries to put everyone in one category, where there are many more categories unaccounted for, such as mine.

I had little glycogen stores. I was probably filled with PUFAs (from all my healthy eating of healthy fish oils, no doubt), and my blood sugar goes high after a typical meal with starch, or a piece of candy, and it provokes an insulin response that drives down my blood sugar. If I fast, or don't eat again, in about 3 hours after a meal, my blood sugar stays low, because I had little or no glycogen reserves. I was hypoglycemic.

And no, my body wasn't really smart to maintain the levels stable. But it was just being itself. If I weren't filled with PUFAs, it would probably metabolize my sugar intake, my blood sugar wouldn't go high to provoke an insulin response, and my blood sugar wouldn't go so low, making me hypoglycemic.

As to why my glycogen stores weren't there to back me up in such a situation, I have to wonder why. Maybe I had heavy metal toxicity, maybe I had an oxygen deficit, maybe my liver was impaired. I still don't know if I now have glycogen stores, or if there had been any improvement on that front.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I also have to question whether the liver is really that slow in converting sugar to fat. Maybe there is a liver problem that causes the slow conversion.

As for the matter of glycogen stores being full, is that really a cause of a problem. Isn't it normal for a healthy person to have glycogen stores that are full? Why is the video making a case for that being a problem, recommending that people fast so that the glycogen store can be less full? Maybe it's a case of the glycogen stores always being full, only because the blood sugar is always high, and the reason it's always high is because the blood sugar is not being metabolized. And the reason it's not - free polyunsaturated fatty acids.

I really don't think the video is helpful. It does not really identify the cause. It really doesn't offer a real solution. Telling people not to overeat is rather banal. Who doesn't know that? But telling people to fast. People with insulin resistance, as described in the video who already have high blood sugar, aren't going to be hungry anyway. Telling them to fast won't help. They're probably already doing that.

I would replace the message in the video. I would say PUFAs are causing insulin resistnace. The way it's happening is that it causes the blood sugar to be high, because it causes blood sugar to not be metabolized. It will provoke an insulin response, and will continue to do so, when the blood sugar is slow is getting down to normal levels. It's slow in going down because the liver is sluggish, and cannot do its job of converting blood sugar to glycogen, or to fats, fast enough. The liver is sluggish because it has no energy, because the body is chronically burning fats instead of sugar, and the stress conditions have caused the liver to be inefficient in doing its job.

Kray

If you had an infection, and you had a fever, and you didn't take any medicine such as paracetamol, or any antibiotics, but just rested and taken some supplements such as Vitamin C, what is the worst that can happen to you? Would your body heal itself? Under what circumstances would this approach work? And not work?

I ask because as far as I know, an increased body temperature is our body's reaction to an infection, with the increased temperature providing a condition that will not be favorable for the pathogen, resulting in the neutralization of the effect of the pathogen. It used to be when I was little, that my mom would just wrap me in a blanket, and let me sweat it out underneath the blanket. She would keep me hydrated with 7-Up, which is easier to drink that water, which would taste very bland in fever conditions. I'm not sure what else I took. Oh yes, I remember that our pediatrician would have his own pharmacy that blends syrupy medicine and I would take them. They're red and sweet and cherry-like in flavor. I'm not sure if I took any antibiotics.

I wanted to ask because there is this fear I have, that has been instilled in me through many years of reinforcement, that a runaway fever would be very dangerous, and would make me delirious, which I've seen happen. Perhaps worse things could still happen.

But let's say you were stranded in an island, and you had no access to drugs, but you had food, water, shelter, and clothing. Would the fever just simply run its course, and you'll heal?

I have consulted with this doctor over the years while raising my children, and even for myself during acute situations. You might find his writings on inflammation/fever to be helpful. He has mostly treated children, but I think the takeaway is the same as to the body's mechanisms in handling fever, generally speaking.

http://philipincao.crestonecolorado.com/index_htm_files/Infection.pdf
Dr Philip Incao

OP
yerrag

yerrag