What Hormones Are Responsible For Nostalgia, Creativity, Loving Feelings, And Wonder?

Peatogenic

I've noticed that I used to be more overemotional (of all feelings), thinking of the past, desiring romance, passionate, almost manic...but I had interestingly lost my creativity over the years of stress.

Now, on my hormone protocol, I've noticed that I don't get overemotional. Yet I still retain a sense of passion and wonder. But I can't help but feel that I'm more matter of fact, more rational, and it feels like I'm losing my more "deeply feeling" self. Too early to tell, but I find I'm less compassionate or empathetic. It's a feeling of not wanting to be around people that are having a lot of issues anymore. On the other hand I'm gaining the new qualities as well, one being better social skills, more confidence, more neutral and stable.

Are artist-types, as a generalization, serotonin dominant? Ray Peat sounds rather clinical in his interviews, yet he seems to have depth of understanding of abstract human experiences....either on an analytical level or a felt level....I can't tell.

I've never understood the goal of euphoria with Peat...because it's not very specific. You could be manic or dissociating or on the sixth hour of your marathon run and feeling euphoric.

Last edited:

Runenight201

I just had a cool idea, and I'm not sure if it's been done, but setting up a study where people who have been classified as certain myers-briggs personality types all subject themselves to blood tests, and then a hormonal panel is run on them. Perhaps some correlations can be drawn from different hormonal profiles and the subsequent personality types. Those correlations can then be tested by administering different hormones and repeating questionnaires, to see the extent to which hormonal profile can influence personality.

On another note, I think the way the brain becomes wired throughout childhood and adolescence sets the stage for the abilities they will have, but not what they are ultimately interested in.

People think for instance athleticism is pure genetics, which is absolute garbage in my opinion. I think athletic people have, from the time they were babies, been consistently testing and training their body's movement capabilities, which result in the brain becoming exceptionally well trained in movement and visual-motor perception, which results in excellent athleticism. Top that off with a proper diet and you will have a successful athlete.

Same with an intellectual. From a young age, a person who is a book worm, constantly reading and soaking in new information, will train their brain to become excellent with reading, language, learning, and so on...

So I view life as a continual process of developing abilities, whether they are artistic, athletic, or intellectual ones, but that still doesn't answer the question of what dictates what interests us in the first place? Upon reading some cursory articles, it appears that in order for interest to form, the subject that is interesting must be complex enough that it is mysterious and unknown, but not so complex that its meaning is completely out of reach. There has to be enough underlying knowledge so that the subject is able to be grappled with, interpretations and meaning drawn, no matter how shallow, and then the subject gets further explored and integrated into the existing body of knowledge.

So we like things that are mysterious, but not so complex that they are beyond us, but that still doesn't quite answer the question of which subjects one will find interesting? Well, they will have to relate to the abilities the growing child already has, because interest, at least in some sense, has to be built off of that existing knowledge base, but I don't think that's always the case. In terms of skill development and mastery I think it is so, but when it comes to simply experiencing things that we find interesting, well who the hell knows? Why do we find certain art appealing and other not so? This delves more into aesthetics, and is in the range of things that I find interesting, but I have yet to explore the subject, so perhaps I will eventually find my way wandering through that area.

In terms of "Nostalgia, Creativity, loving feelings, and wonder", I think these are all natural states that the human being has access to, so long as we are free from inflammation, stress, and are producing lots of energy. I think training in a certain school of thought leads one to perceive things in a certain manner, and our emphasis on rationalism and logic has produced many people who strictly think that way. Perhaps diverging from logical heavy tasks, and cultivating and exploring the more artistic, creative side, will bring it out. Take up painting, drawing, music, poetry, dancing, etc... and you may just find that deep connection that you have parted from.

lampofred

I think high glutamate is what makes people emotional. As serotonin rises with age, the effects of glutamate go down.

lvysaur

I just had a cool idea, and I'm not sure if it's been done, but setting up a study where people who have been classified as certain myers-briggs personality types all subject themselves to blood tests, and then a hormonal panel is run on them. Perhaps some correlations can be drawn from different hormonal profiles and the subsequent personality types. Those correlations can then be tested by administering different hormones and repeating questionnaires, to see the extent to which hormonal profile can influence personality.
Yeah, I can definitely attest that I'm more healthy when at an INTJ, rather than INTP profile.

I feel that the healthiest profile is probably---ESTJ?

baccheion

On another note, I think the way the brain becomes wired throughout childhood and adolescence sets the stage for the abilities they will have, but not what they are ultimately interested in.

People think for instance athleticism is pure genetics, which is absolute garbage in my opinion. I think athletic people have, from the time they were babies, been consistently testing and training their body's movement capabilities, which result in the brain becoming exceptionally well trained in movement and visual-motor perception, which results in excellent athleticism. Top that off with a proper diet and you will have a successful athlete.

Same with an intellectual. From a young age, a person who is a book worm, constantly reading and soaking in new information, will train their brain to become excellent with reading, language, learning, and so on...

So I view life as a continual process of developing abilities, whether they are artistic, athletic, or intellectual ones, but that still doesn't answer the question of what dictates what interests us in the first place? Upon reading some cursory articles, it appears that in order for interest to form, the subject that is interesting must be complex enough that it is mysterious and unknown, but not so complex that its meaning is completely out of reach. There has to be enough underlying knowledge so that the subject is able to be grappled with, interpretations and meaning drawn, no matter how shallow, and then the subject gets further explored and integrated into the existing body of knowledge.

So we like things that are mysterious, but not so complex that they are beyond us, but that still doesn't quite answer the question of which subjects one will find interesting? Well, they will have to relate to the abilities the growing child already has, because interest, at least in some sense, has to be built off of that existing knowledge base, but I don't think that's always the case. In terms of skill development and mastery I think it is so, but when it comes to simply experiencing things that we find interesting, well who the hell knows? Why do we find certain art appealing and other not so? This delves more into aesthetics, and is in the range of things that I find interesting, but I have yet to explore the subject, so perhaps I will eventually find my way wandering through that area.

In terms of "Nostalgia, Creativity, loving feelings, and wonder", I think these are all natural states that the human being has access to, so long as we are free from inflammation, stress, and are producing lots of energy. I think training in a certain school of thought leads one to perceive things in a certain manner, and our emphasis on rationalism and logic has produced many people who strictly think that way. Perhaps diverging from logical heavy tasks, and cultivating and exploring the more artistic, creative side, will bring it out. Take up painting, drawing, music, poetry, dancing, etc... and you may just find that deep connection that you have parted from.
One study didn't find any correlation between testosterone and big five personality type.

mouse

I find histamine is huge for creativity. e.g. a low level of allergic response not high enough to obliterate the creativity boost, or taking L-histidine.

I wonder if it's why so many artists were hooked on heroin, it helps creativity and it boosts brain histamine.

rei

I find histamine is huge for creativity. e.g. a low level of allergic response not high enough to obliterate the creativity boost, or taking L-histidine.

I wonder if it's why so many artists were hooked on heroin, it helps creativity and it boosts brain histamine.
I never thought of it in that light, but it is almost stereotypical for a heroin addict to come up with the most elaborate plans to minimize effort while still maintaining their dependence. While meth heads do as much as possible with little planning to achieve their tweaker goals.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

It's strange, children have such high levels of creativity naturally so you'd assume creativity is a marker of health.

LUH 3417

If you are right handed you've most likely spent 12 years of your life over developing your right hand. One time i tried writing exclusively with my left hand in a journal and the thoughts, feelings and sensations that came up for me were much different from and more expansive than my typical right handing ranting. i think we have a tendency to focus on the brain's "hard wiring" and in doing so are prone to overlook the whole body intelligence that goes into memory, feeling and understanding. it is like talking about sexuality; is your sexuality solely focused on the genitalia, or is pleasure experienced throughout the entire body? when you experience wonder, it is not only a mental process or imprint, it is your body feeling sensations, too.

golder

If you are right handed you've most likely spent 12 years of your life over developing your right hand. One time i tried writing exclusively with my left hand in a journal and the thoughts, feelings and sensations that came up for me were much different from and more expansive than my typical right handing ranting. i think we have a tendency to focus on the brain's "hard wiring" and in doing so are prone to overlook the whole body intelligence that goes into memory, feeling and understanding. it is like talking about sexuality; is your sexuality solely focused on the genitalia, or is pleasure experienced throughout the entire body? when you experience wonder, it is not only a mental process or imprint, it is your body feeling sensations, too.

Very good point and very good post.

fradon

I've noticed that I used to be more overemotional (of all feelings), thinking of the past, desiring romance, passionate, almost manic...but I had interestingly lost my creativity over the years of stress.

Now, on my hormone protocol, I've noticed that I don't get overemotional. Yet I still retain a sense of passion and wonder. But I can't help but feel that I'm more matter of fact, more rational, and it feels like I'm losing my more "deeply feeling" self. Too early to tell, but I find I'm less compassionate or empathetic. It's a feeling of not wanting to be around people that are having a lot of issues anymore. On the other hand I'm gaining the new qualities as well, one being better social skills, more confidence, more neutral and stable.

Are artist-types, as a generalization, serotonin dominant? Ray Peat sounds rather clinical in his interviews, yet he seems to have depth of understanding of abstract human experiences....either on an analytical level or a felt level....I can't tell.

I've never understood the goal of euphoria with Peat...because it's not very specific. You could be manic or dissociating or on the sixth hour of your marathon run and feeling euphoric.

more emotional, artistic: high copper, overmethylation, pychosis, schizophrenia, dopamine, amygdala dominant as opposed to frontal lobe dominant...

LUH 3417

more emotional, artistic: high copper, overmethylation, pychosis, schizophrenia, dopamine, amygdala dominant as opposed to frontal lobe dominant...
Could potentially have a spleen deficiency, liver stagnation...

RisingSun

I firmly believe that good nutrition and absence of medication in early years are paramount. Training comes second.

A child that has been repeatdly given antibiotics will never have the same energy to work out as a kid growing on a farm with zero meds, regardless of all the coaching you give him.

smith

I have a feeling that dopamine dominance is more about being relaxed and satisfied and thus less artistic and emotional, except for anger, in the situations where your calm is disrupted

Last edited:

Wolf

Sounds like me. Dopamine dominance. Pretty much self induced since I can't have my head in the clouds with a STEM major. Maybe later, but not now
Niacin helps me to ease up on the dopamine from time to time as does upping my dairy intake.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

Sounds like me. Dopamine dominance. Pretty much self induced since I can't have my head in the clouds with a STEM major. Maybe later, but not now
Niacin helps me to ease up on the dopamine from time to time as does upping my dairy intake.

Dopamine? I thought dopamine was a good thing to favor.,..

fradon

I have a feeling that dopamine dominance is more about being relaxed and satisfied and thus less artistic and emotional, except for anger, in the situations where your calm is disrupted

no dopamine is reward and rewards are emotion. read up on LDOPA the medication they give people with parkinson one of the side effects is creativity. people become writers painters and others things when on LDopa

Wolf

no dopamine is reward and rewards are emotion. read up on LDOPA the medication they give people with parkinson one of the side effects is creativity. people become writers painters and others things when on LDopa
Dopamine? I thought dopamine was a good thing to favor.,..
Unless dopamine is converting to adrenaline.
In any case transiently boosting serotonin for a little bit helps MY creativity. High dopamine turns me into a robot that's able to solve logical puzzles.
Odansetron and other things stop the serotonin from goofing up my GI in any case.

Runenight201

There’s no doubt that the brain is the central “cpu”, and that perception, emotions, feelings, and consciousness is impacted by every single physiological subsystem, and having prime functioning throughout the entire body produces the plethora of experience that we’re capable of having.

I recall reading somewhere how blind people would respond on a physiological level similar to people with normal eye sight when showed facing displaying different emotions. I think the responses were attenuated, but even so, very interesting results.

I agree on the dominance of certain cerebral circuits, and I think this is why some people can’t “escape their thoughts”. They are stuck in a repetitive brain pattern, and by engaging in activities that activate different circuits, the overactive portions gain some rest, while developing the (potentially) underactive circuits.

I noticed this most significantly one day when I ingested far too much concentrated thc (dabs). I could physically feel my logical left side pounding away, and it almost felt like my brain would eventually snap if I weren’t able to escape the circuit I was stuck in. I have always found movement training to be very therapeutic, and I was able to escape this circuit through a focus on my postures and muscle activity.

I think this is why it’s s important to be well rounded, nurturing multiple different abilities, hobbies, and interests. It keeps the body balanced and prevents the potential dysfunction through overspecialiation. Not too mention the varied areas of interest also lead to a wider scope of engagement with the world, which leads to a wider net of ideas and experiences to encounter, which in turn leads to greater inspiration and wisdom.

LUH 3417

There’s no doubt that the brain is the central “cpu”, and that perception, emotions, feelings, and consciousness is impacted by every single physiological subsystem, and having prime functioning throughout the entire body produces the plethora of experience that we’re capable of having.

I recall reading somewhere how blind people would respond on a physiological level similar to people with normal eye sight when showed facing displaying different emotions. I think the responses were attenuated, but even so, very interesting results.

I agree on the dominance of certain cerebral circuits, and I think this is why some people can’t “escape their thoughts”. They are stuck in a repetitive brain pattern, and by engaging in activities that activate different circuits, the overactive portions gain some rest, while developing the (potentially) underactive circuits.

I noticed this most significantly one day when I ingested far too much concentrated thc (dabs). I could physically feel my logical left side pounding away, and it almost felt like my brain would eventually snap if I weren’t able to escape the circuit I was stuck in. I have always found movement training to be very therapeutic, and I was able to escape this circuit through a focus on my postures and muscle activity.

I think this is why it’s s important to be well rounded, nurturing multiple different abilities, hobbies, and interests. It keeps the body balanced and prevents the potential dysfunction through overspecialiation. Not too mention the varied areas of interest also lead to a wider scope of engagement with the world, which leads to a wider net of ideas and experiences to encounter, which in turn leads to greater inspiration and wisdom.
Very interesting. I’ve found that foam rolling in moments of intense anxiety can shift my state of mind to a place of calm excitement. I once read the position of the tongue and it’s pressure against the palate causes release of hormones from the pituitary. This would explain why poor posture and poor endocrine function coincide.