What herbs are good for kidney function

I'm.No.One

Some simple & hard to hurt yourself with herbs for kidney support are:

Dandelion root ( likely the most accessible and easy to get into a routine with.)

Cleavers

Goldenrod

Make sure you're getting plenty of minerals/liquids as all 3 are diuretics (make you piss).

OP
Ideal man

Ideal man

Some simple & hard to hurt yourself with herbs for kidney support are:

Dandelion root ( likely the most accessible and easy to get into a routine with.)

Cleavers

Goldenrod

Make sure you're getting plenty of minerals/liquids as all 3 are diuretics (make you piss).
Would celery be good as well

Elie

Forum Supporter
These are some of the top ones in Traditional Chinese Med
Cistanche deserticola
cordyceps
Astragalus

Haidut posted long ago research on Vit B1 300 mg, if I recall correctly.

I have seen B1 restore eGFR

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hope @Jennifer does not mind me pinging here again but she is well versed in this subject.

dallascat

These are some of the top ones in Traditional Chinese Med
Cistanche deserticola
cordyceps
Astragalus

Haidut posted long ago research on Vit B1 300 mg, if I recall correctly.

I have seen B1 restore eGFR
What metrics was the B1 restore of eGFR?

Elie

Forum Supporter
in my experience I have seen it move up by as much as 10% from 40s to 50s, 50s to 60s etc within a few months.
When I work with clients, the approach is wholistic, and involves diet, limiting PUFA, iron, etc., but the effect of B1 seems independent to me.

Here is the post that clued me on to this

dallascat

in my experience I have seen it move up by as much as 10% from 40s to 50s, 50s to 60s etc within a few months.
When I work with clients, the approach is wholistic, and involves diet, limiting PUFA, iron, etc., but the effect of B1 seems independent to me.

Here is the post that clued me on to this
Thanks!

I'm.No.One

Parsley leaves and roots, cherry stems, corn silk, nettle leaves, dandelion leaves.
Parsley, beyond culinary amounts, is actually toxic & can cause damage to kidneys.

Corn silk is a good one but is more so to do with bladder function than kidneys, especially frequent UTIs, weak bladder, IC.

Jessie

I don't know about dhea, maybe. Ray mentioned that progesterone has nephroprotective qualities to it. I think there was another study on here posted by haidut suggesting androsterone and DHT does too. In addition to Thiamine, niacinamide has also been used to treat CKD.

Foods with a lot of tannins in them generally have positive effects on the kidneys, like blueberries for example. Activated charcoal can also help kidney function and specifically the filtration of toxins.

miquelangeles

There is also a 3-strain probiotic designed for kidney health.
Originally it was launched under the name Azodyl for veterinary use and recently they released a human version as well called Renadyl.
The specific strains metabolize the uremic toxins in the bowel and are then excreted. They called the principle "Enteric Dialysis".
My cat was diagnosed with renal insufficiency in 2017 at the age of 11 and was given less than a year to live.
I put him on Renadyl and he lived another 5 years, until January this year. Within a week of starting it, he was so joyful and full of energy like a young animal.
I was amazed by the transformation and I started taking Azodyl myself (the veterinary version). Renadyl (the human version) was available only in USA.
I could feel the effects after just 1 day. It felt like a big dose of activated charchoal, like an invisible burden had been lifted from my body.
I did not take it regularly because it was expensive. It had to be imported refrigerated and in my country the cost was 150 eur for a month (the human adjusted dose is 3x the cat dose). There were minor side effects that I got some foul smelling gas and a change in stool color.

A.R

Parsley, beyond culinary amounts, is actually toxic & can cause damage to kidneys.

Corn silk is a good one but is more so to do with bladder function than kidneys, especially frequent UTIs, weak bladder, IC.
Interesting about the parsley. What about if the big bunch of parsley is cooked before eaten? Will it still be harmful?

I'm.No.One

Interesting about the parsley. What about if the big bunch of parsley is cooked before eaten? Will it still be harmful?
Likely a bit safer but the properties you're after would have been leached into the water.

A.R

Likely a bit safer but the properties you're after would have been leached into the water.
Yes thats fine because the water is consumed also.

I usually chop up a big bunch of parsley along with a bunch of coriander, and add it to either lamb burger mixture, or sometimes add to curries.

I'm.No.One

Yes thats fine because the water is consumed also.

I usually chop up a big bunch of parsley along with a bunch of coriander, and add it to either lamb burger mixture, or sometimes add to curries.
I mean, if you're cooking with it that's different than say trying to eat like 2-3 big bunches at once.

There's a fair amount of furanocoumarins in parsley, which can do real irreversible damage to your liver.

Good to cook with, not something I would use consistently beyond culinary levels especially considering most kidney supportive herbs need to be used in consistent quantities.

Corn silk is much safer & basically impossible to hurt yourself with. Just be sure it's organic.

A.R

I mean, if you're cooking with it that's different than say trying to eat like 2-3 big bunches at once.

There's a fair amount of furanocoumarins in parsley, which can do real irreversible damage to your liver.

Good to cook with, not something I would use consistently beyond culinary levels especially considering most kidney supportive herbs need to be used in consistent quantities.

Corn silk is much safer & basically impossible to hurt yourself with. Just be sure it's organic.
Ok it’s first time I’m hearing about furanocoumarins. I’m quite shocked tbh because I was incorporating bunches of parsley in my diet under the impression that it was actually healing my liver.

Thank you.

I will look into corn silk.

Sampa

In the bodybuilding community, there is a coach that swears the Astragalus high dose (around 5g) can help recover damaged kidney functions.

golder

In the bodybuilding community, there is a coach that swears the Astragalus high dose (around 5g) can help recover damaged kidney functions.
I can believe that. It’s got very promising reports. Do you know the source of this?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals