What Helps Turn High Cholesterol Into Hormones

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Nicole W.

I have high Cholesterol (not too high) and ridiculously high Trigs.... Can I use Vitamin A to help utilize the cholesterol for Testosterone synthesis ? What can help me bring down triglycerides ?
Bergamot BPF by Ortho Molecular Products worked for my husband. His triglycerides were close to 600. Also, he avoided sugars and starches for a while to encourage his body to tap into the triglycerides. After a few months he was fine.

Yeah, Thyroid is the only thing on that list I haven’t tried ... My TSH always comes back in the low end of 1.3 or 1.4.... my free T3 and T4 are always within range.... my vitamin D has been 19, 22, and 32 respectively.... my T is always around 450..... the only thing I can think of is poor pancreatic function from alcohol abuse

im not sure about heightened triglycerides,but for your overall health,try to increase your D to Peat rec of 50-60ng/ml,or in my opinion to 70-100ng/ml,which can also decrease Alcohol-intake by normalization of Calcium-Channels,which drinking-Alcohol interacts with by decreasing Calcium-activity,acting similar to Calcium-Channel-Blockers.Salt also messes with proper Calcium-signalling.For the 70/100 D-range,10000IU/d of D3 is necessary and very safe,true toxicity doesnt start above 150ng/ml.If you are an anxious drinker,not an excitation seeking one,think about going on Baclofene,it would be the lesser problem.

D

danishispsychic

Tried Pregnenalone and it helped keep me Testosterone in the upper 400s but that’s a ***t number
just look at the hormone cascade chart and you will see that Pregnenalone
Tried Pregnenalone and it helped keep me Testosterone in the upper 400s but that’s a ***t number
well that was not your question, and my answer was correct. there are probably other reasons your testosterone is low.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I remember seeing an old post of yours somewhere that pregnenolone didn't agree with you. Have you since managed to make it work for you?

I stopped taking Pregnenalone in 2018... When it worked it worked, but then got depersonalization from it... Its very inconsistent.... Taking it with food helps.... I want to try topical DHEA and Pregnenalone

SOMO

What are some common substances that do this?

Citrus is a common one, with grapefruit being the strongest, but most plants and herbs have this effect. As far as I know, animal foods do not really have this effect.

I think St. John's Wort does the opposite.

High_Prob

Interesting anecdote which has some relevance:

Cistanche Cholesterol Protocol for Testosterone — Wild Free Organic

THE CISTANCHE CHOLESTEROL PROTOCOL FOR BOOSTING TESTOSTERONE

Cistanche is a parasitic plant found in deserts and used in Chinese medicine. Cholesterol is a building block for many hormones found throughout the body. Cistanche has testosterone boosting properties, and is documented in reducing blood cholesterol levels.

When dietary cholesterol consumption is increased alongside cistanche supplementation, the changes in body composition are striking. Muscle mass increases, free testosterone levels increase, and strength increases. Before seeing the full experiment I undertook, what I call the CC Protocol, and the results, it is important to understand the currently available science.

Cholesterol

Steroidal hormones (produced by the body) are all derived from cholesterol. Steroid hormones influence metabolism, immune functions, inflammation, fluid and salt balances, development and maintenance of sexual characteristics, and increase the bodies ability to withstand illness and injury.

The body can make cholesterol in the liver, but cholesterol can also be acquired through the diet through foods like pasture raised eggs.

To start the steroid hormone creation process, cholesterol is altered via an enzyme reaction to synthesize pregnenolone, the “master” steroid base molecule are created.

Cistanche

It’s cistanche’s effects on cholesterol that begin to make things interesting. Cistanche improves cholesterol transport, reducing cholesterol levels in the blood even with a high cholesterol diet (1). Simultaneously, cistanche raises testosterone levels (2), improves time to fatigue, improves endurance, and reduces muscle breakdown (3).

Many of these effects are because cistanche is a vasorelaxant (relaxes the vascular system, lowering blood pressure), improves glucose tolerance, reduces glucose elevation after meals (4). Typically steroidal hormones increase blood pressure, so these blood pressure lowering effects are a positive health benefit of cistanche supplementation. Additionally, the blood glucose improving effects of cistanche hint at better nutrient partitioning, a beneficial effect for improving lean body mass and reducing body fat creation.

It is important to note though that high dosages of cistanche can cause mild hepatic edema (1) (swelling of the liver), while other research has shown cistanche to be liver protective (4). There is conflicting information on the safety of cistanche as it relates to liver health, and this can due to study design. These contradicitons as it relates to the liver likely result from cistanche stimulating the production of steroidal hormones, which are produced by the liver. Increased natural production of steroidal hormones can dramatically improve wellness, with symptoms of low testosterone including depression, fatigue, decreased bone mass, increased fat mass, and an increased risk of anemia.

Overall cistanche has been deemed to be safe for human use at dosages below 10 grams per day, but out of an abundance of caution, I would not recommend using cistanche if you have preexisting health conditions. If you are healthy, out of an abundance of caution use cistanche only for 30 days in a row and no more than 2 grams per day, which are the conditions of the protocol below.

Supplementation of Cistanche and Cholesterol

Cistanche can be supplemented through a powder or extract, more details on this below. The easiest way to add more cholesterol to the diet is through increased egg consumption.

Dietary cholesterol isn’t bad, it raises good HDL cholesterol (5), and daily egg consumption promotes favorable shifts in HDL lipid composition (6). High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol helps remove other forms of cholesterol from the bloodstream, and higher levels of HDL cholesterol are associated with a lower risk of heart disease. Additionally, higher HDL leads to more testosterone (7).

Why do the CC Protocol
The experiment I undertook by pairing cistanche supplementation with increase cholesterol consumption was conducted to answer the following question:

How will body fat, lean body mass, free testosterone levels, and strength in major compound lifts change in response to an increasing caloric intake, high volume resistance exercise utilizing progressive overload, a dramatic bump in dietary cholesterol, and daily supplementation of the herb cistanche.

My results from this protocol were incredible. I added 5 lbs (2.25 kg) of lean body mass, boosted my free testosterone levels by 52%, increased my strength across the board, and only increased my body fat levels by 0.7%, all in 5 weeks. At the time I was 27 years old. Remember, the sample size for this experiment was N=1 (me). My results from this experiment were my own, and your results might vary.

To see the data for yourself, as well as the step by step guideline to run this Cistanche & Cholesterol Protocol (CC Protocol) for yourself, continue reading below:

The CC Protocol
The two main variables of this experiment were the addition 2 grams of cistanche and at least 6 egg yolks (~1000 mg cholesterol) per day. The idea was that the cistanche supplementation (via limited research available) would stimulate the body to produce more androgenic hormones, and the dramatic increase in cholesterol consumption would support the creation of these androgenic hormones like testosterone.

The cistanche I used I purchased from Lost Empire Herbs, a provider of very high quality, third party tested Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs, berries, and other natural substances. Ignoring their marketing, the cistanche from Lost Empire Herbs is sourced from the plateaus of Tibet, dual extracted (both water and alcohol), and has the following active compounds: phenylethanoid glycosides greater than 60%, echinacosides greater than 20%, and aceteosides greater than 6%. It is these phytochemcials which are responsible for the testosterone boosting effects of cistanche. You’ll be hard pressed to find a better cistanche supplement, and with a rare herb like this, I wouldn’t trust any supplement manufacturer that don’t provide third party test results.

I manipulated more than my cholesterol consumption and cistanche supplementation during the course of this 5-week experiment.

Variables I manipulated:

• I increased my daily caloric intake from 3500 calories to 4000 calories, increasing calories by roughly 100 each week.
    • I kept my macros fairly consistent at ratios of 35% carbohydrates, 45% fat, and 20% protein. These macronutrient percentages at times fluctuated by a couple percentage points week to week.
    • I increased my weekly weight lifting tonnage by about 25%. Tonnage is the total weight lifted, in this case from all exercises combined. Tonnage increases were from a combination of heavier weight and higher reps.
    • I consumed a post workout shake containing 600 calories, 19 g carbs, 42 g fat, and 36 g protein. The shake consisted of 8 oz coconut milk, 6 raw egg yolks, 30 grams hydrolyzed whey, and 3 grams of creatine monohydrate. Before this 5 week experiment I was not drinking a shake post-workout.
    • I consumed 1 g (1/2 tsp) cistanche (a desert plant) morning and night. Method of delivery was mixed with 1/2 shot glass of apple cider vinegar taken on a relatively empty stomach. Before this I had never used cistanche.
Variables I did not manipulate, instead keeping consistent:

• I consumed the same pre-workout shake before and during the experiment.
    • I slept 7-8 hours a night.
    • I kept my NEAT consistent (8).
    • Food quality remained consistent. Calories were adjusted upwards, but the majority of the food consumed was whole and unprocessed.
My CC Protocol Results
Beyond basic easily acquired data points such as strength improvements in the gym, and body-weight measurements, I also collected body fat and lean body mass data via DEXA and checked my free testosterone levels at the start and conclusion of this five week test. All of this data is outlined below, starting with the most important.

DEXA results

To test my body fat, lean body mass, and bone mineral content, DEXA scans are the gold standard in ease of use and accuracy. The company I use to perform these tests is BodySpec, a mobile DEXA scanning company that operates in California, Washington, and Texas. For the before and after DEXA scans, I went in under the same conditions. Those conditions were:

• DEXA scan at ~7:30 am.
    • Used the bathroom to poop and pee before the test.
    • Went into the test fasted, having consumed no food
    • Consumed ~24 oz of water upon waking up.
DXA+Results+11-5-18+-+C.jpg

DXA+Results+1-7-2019+-+C.jpg

Everlywell, an at home testing service which has dozens of different tests available, from hormone tests to micronutrient and STD tests. Their free-testosterone test is saliva based, and only tests free testosterone levels. Ideally I would have gotten a full hormone blood panel that also tested other important variables such as total testosterone, cortisol, estradiol, and more, but for practical reasons I used Everlywell’s at home testing service.

The test were taken under the same conditions, which are as follows:

• Taken after a full 8 hour of sleep and a low stress day the day beforehand.
    • Taken first thing in the morning as they recommend, before the consumption of any fluids.
    • Taken after fasting for ~10 hours.
Everlywell+Free+Test+Results+-+C.jpg

Everlywell uses saliva to measure the amount of free testosterone in your body, and while not as accurate as a full blood panel, a price point of $60 for each test makes it a great option for consistently testing your free testosterone levels. Free testosterone is more important than total testosterone when it comes to its function throughout the body, as it is free testosterone than can attach to androgen receptors and exert an androgenic effect on that tissue.

In 35 days I increased my free testosterone levels from 94 pg/ml to 143 pg/ml, an increase of 52%. I have had 3-4 blood testosterone tests done prior to these two tests, and never have my free testosterone levels fluctuated by more than 10-15%. I attribute this increase in testosterone to mainly the CC Protocol, with the 1000 mg of cholesterol and 2 grams of cistanche daily working synergistically to raise my testosterone levels.

Strength Results

During this experiment I regained strength I had previously acquired in the past on major compound lifts, but at a lower, leaner body-weight. By the end of the CC Protocol my relative strength was at an all time high. From the start of the CC protocol to the end the following strength changes occurred:

Deadlift

• Day 2 - 315# 2x10
    • Day 7 - 405# 3x3
    • Day 11 - 335# 3x10
    • Day 15 - 425# 5x3
    • Day 18 - 355# 4x10
    • Day 23 - 435# 3x3
    • Day 25 - 375# 3x10
    • Day 31 - 455# 4x3, 1x2
1RM: 420 lbs to 482 lbs (15% increase)

Squat

• Day 4 - 345# 1x1, 225# 3x10
    • Day 8 - 315# 4x3
    • Day 10 - 275# 3x10
    • Day 14 - 335# 5x3
    • Day 17 - 295# 3x10
    • Day 21 - 355# 4x3, 365# 1x3
    • Day 24 - 315# 3x10
    • Day 30 - 375# 4x3, 385# 1x3
1RM: 345 lbs to 408 lbs (16% increase)

Incline Press

• Day 7 - 155# 1x7, 1x6
    • Day 10 - 135# (paused) 5x8
    • Day 14 - 175# 2x5
    • Day 17 - 155# (paused) 5x8
    • Day 21 - 175# 5x5
    • Day 24 - 160# (paused) 4x8
    • Day 30 - 185# 3x5
    • Day 33 - 135# 3x15
1RM: 186 lbs to 208 lbs (12% increase)

Note - 1RM beginning and end values were calculated using a 1RM calculator. The italicized values were the two I used for each lift.

It’s important to again reiterate I had hit these strength numbers prior in my lifting career. The big difference is how effortless the linear progression over those 35 days carried me back to within 5% of my prior all-time best levels of strength, all while much leaner and weighting less. It happened at a rate much faster than I had experienced before. I do not completely attribute these strength gains purely to central nervous system and muscle memory, and I believe the CC Protocol contributed to at least 50% of the strength increases I experienced in this short time frame.

Physiological Results

I relied on my DEXA scans to give me better data on how my body composition changed during the CC Protocol, but there were some obvious physiological changes that occurred during this experiment.

Chest, shoulder, arm, and forearm thickness increased. My abdominal leanness was nearly unchanged. Before the CC Protocol I was struggling to grow a beard, and afterwards my beard hair grew in much thicker. I hypothesize that this is from higher circulating testosterone levels, and some of the free testosterone aromatized into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is one of the primary agents responsible for driving facial hair growth (9), and also male pattern baldness. The beard growth was a great visual anecdotal evidence to support the Everlywell test results. If you want to grow a thicker beard, the combination of cistanche and cholesterol might be worth experimenting with (as long as you don’t have family history of male pattern baldness).

Is the CC Protocol for You?
After creating, experimenting, and reviewing the data from this experiment, I am confident in stating that the combination of cholesterol and cistanche, along with a healthy diet, good sleep, and a well-designed weight training program is an effective protocol for building muscle and increasing strength.

I personally experienced no side effects, minor or major, during this experiment, and it appears to be safe* for young men. With that said, to be extra safe, I wouldn’t try this protocol for any longer than 30 - 40 days, and would strongly recommend against doing this if you have any underlying health conditions. If you decide to run the CC Protocol yourself, please consult a medical professional first.

If you decide to run the CC Protocol, make the most of the experience and make sure to gather as much data as possible, definitely a before and after body composition test, and if you have the cash or insurance, a hormone panel before and after.

Do not run the CC Protocol more than 2 times per year for overall health and wellness. Taking cistanche and dramatically boosting cholesterol intake stresses certain bodily systems, and adequate rest in-between should be taken.

*Note - Cistanche has been used safely at larger dosages (5-10 grams daily) for longer periods of time in Chinese Medicine for 1000’s of years, and dietary cholesterol has been shown to have little to no impact on blood cholesterol levels in most individuals. Consult with your medical professional before starting your own CC Protocol.

Updated September 2020

References:

• Shimoda H, Tanaka J, Takahara Y, Takemoto K, Shan SJ, Su MH. The hypocholesterolemic effects of Cistanche tubulosa extract, a Chinese traditional crude medicine, in mice. Am J Chin Med. 2009;37(6):1125-38.
    • Wang T, Chen C, Yang M, Deng B, Kirby GM, Zhang X. Cistanche tubulosa ethanol extract mediates rat sex hormone levels by induction of testicular steroidgenic enzymes. Pharm Biol. 2016;54(3):481-7.
    • Cai RL, Yang MH, Shi Y, Chen J, Li YC, Qi Y. Antifatigue activity of phenylethanoid-rich extract from Cistanche deserticola. Phytother Res. 2010;24(2):313-5.
    • Morikawa T, Xie H, Pan Y, et al. A Review of Biologically Active Natural Products from a Desert Plant Cistanche tubulosa. Chem Pharm Bull. 2019;67(7):675-689.
    • Herron KL, Vega-lopez S, Conde K, Ramjiganesh T, Shachter NS, Fernandez ML. Men classified as hypo- or hyperresponders to dietary cholesterol feeding exhibit differences in lipoprotein metabolism. J Nutr. 2003;133(4):1036-42.
    • Andersen CJ, Blesso CN, Lee J, et al. Egg consumption modulates HDL lipid composition and increases the cholesterol-accepting capacity of serum in metabolic syndrome. Lipids. 2013;48(6):557-67.
    • Freedman DS, O'brien TR, Flanders WD, Destefano F, Barboriak JJ. Relation of serum testosterone levels to high density lipoprotein cholesterol and other characteristics in men. Arterioscler Thromb. 1991;11(2):307-15.
    • Levine JA. Non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT). Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;16(4):679-702.
    • Farthing MJ, Mattei AM, Edwards CR, Dawson AM. Relationship between plasma testosterone and dihydrotestosterone concentrations and male facial hair growth. Br J Dermatol. 1982;107(5):559-64.

Last edited:

reality

Citrus is a common one, with grapefruit being the strongest, but most plants and herbs have this effect. As far as I know, animal foods do not really have this effect.

I think St. John's Wort does the opposite.
Why is citrus praised so highly, surely that’s a bad thing?

Nicole W.

I have high Cholesterol (not too high) and ridiculously high Trigs.... Can I use Vitamin A to help utilize the cholesterol for Testosterone synthesis ? What can help me bring down triglycerides ?
Bergamot will lower Triglycerides.

MitchMitchell

Neal Rouzier has a lot of experience prescribing thyroid hormones and getting free t3 above range even, to get cholesterol down + HDL up when visceral fat drops

Nicole W.

There 475 lol
The triglycerides are just storage form sugar. In order to force the body to start tapping into those it’s important to limit alcohol and refined sugar. Bergamot helps with the process but diet really matters here.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals