What Helps Reduce Smoking ?

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

he antidepressant nortriptyline (Pamelor or Aventyl) is not FDA-approved for smoking cessation, but it, too, has shown results similar to bupropion in some studies.

there was one I can't spell it really helped my friends friend stop smoking then he want back and got off. Maybe give it a shot and get a vape

Those are strongly Norepinephrine friendly drugs, and less affinity for Serotonin. Too bad they are rarely used for anything except chronic pain syndromes.

tankasnowgod

Never heard of anyone die from oral cancer. Never heard anyone here in sweden or rest of scandinavia even get oral cancer and theres probably equally many snusers as smokers here. I don’t believe its the tobacco and nicotine that causes for example lung cancer. Its the inhalation of combusted chemicals and other additives. Its how you use a substance that makes it more or less dangerous. An example is IV drugs like heroin is more dangerous than if you would had taken it orally. You can snort cocaine and also take it orally. Some people smoke it as crack and then it gets even more dangerous. Maybe its a bad parallel but you get my point. Doubt nicotine gum or patches are as harmful as smoking. Just as smoking organic pure tobacco cigarettes are probably safer than smoking ciggs filled with chemicals

There are some threads on the forum discussing the differences between pure tobacco and modern cigarettes, which contain a lot of potentially harmful fillers and additives. If there is a substance in tobacco that does increase cancer risk, it's likely either the iron or tar.

As far as using chewing tobacco in any form (including snus), there are likely oral care practices you can use to minimize negative consequences, including oral cancers. I remember seeing a book years ago (can't find it anymore) by a doctor who recommended that smokers stop smoking and use chewing tobacco instead. There was a whole chapter on oral care practices to control for oral cancer risks. Some patients ultimately stopped chewing altogether (and he would prefer that people not use tobacco at all), but switching from smoking to chewing tobacco reduced a lot of overall risks, he claimed.

brocktoon

Any withdrawal symptoms from wellbutrin ? Or rebound depression ? It is basically a substituted cathinone.
No, no physical withdrawal -- I just made sure I had script at the 50 mg dose so I could taper down from 300 to 200 to 150 to 50 over a period of 4 weeks. And no significant rebound depression.

meatbag

high dose niacinamide seems to kinda help. I start smoking again whenever I feel suuuuuuper stressed

What-a-Riot

@Frankdee20 keep in mind bupropion has been known to cause seizures or lower seizure threshold in some people. I don't know how exactly it does that, but it's contraindicated with heavy drinking. Someone i know was prescibed it too quit smoking and had a seizure while they were drinking, so do be careful

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

@Frankdee20 keep in mind bupropion has been known to cause seizures or lower seizure threshold in some people. I don't know how exactly it does that, but it's contraindicated with heavy drinking. Someone i know was prescibed it too quit smoking and had a seizure while they were drinking, so do be careful

I definately took this into consideration, lol. As much as I drink, I have never had a seizure from withdrawal. So I consider myself lucky, but it may take cravings for alcohol away due to it being Dopaminergic

Sheik

How does snus compare to smoking for you guys? I've used snus and I feel strong nicotine effects but I don't think I get as much of the other components of the tobacco. I've been smoking Hestias, which don't have added chemicals. (Though I think tobacco companies can put chemicals in the soil and then market them as additive free).

I also think I get more euphoria when I puff harder and get it burning hotter. Which is not a good thing because it's also more dangerous. I really should stop smoking altogether is what I should do.

Waynish

I am not a heavy smoker, and will often take a few drags and throw the rest away. I average about 7-9 a day, American Spirits mostly. If I am binge drinking, then obviosly more. It has only been about 2-3 years now since I started, and I am 39. I do not want to Vape and occasionally smoke, because one cannot know how much Nicotine they're consuming. What is my best bet here, Bupropion ? That can cause bad insomnia and anxiety though. Is this a low Dopamine issue ? I just like the ritual of lighting it, and the taste, and inhaling smoke.

I would think the binge drinking is more of an issue than the extra cigarettes while binge drinking...

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I would think the binge drinking is more of an issue than the extra cigarettes while binge drinking...

Yes it is, and I ordered Naltrexone tablets to help me with this issue.

Waynish

Yes it is, and I ordered Naltrexone tablets to help me with this issue.

Smoking & drinking needs are both coming from underlying deficits in your energy system, though. Would look into the liver repair methods on this forum, eating frequency, reducing inflammation & endotoxin, and getting more sun/food/sleep/etc.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Smoking & drinking needs are both coming from underlying deficits in your energy system, though. Would look into the liver repair methods on this forum, eating frequency, reducing inflammation & endotoxin, and getting more sun/food/sleep/etc.

Agreed.

cyclops

Start using snus. It’s a scandinavian type of tobacco its awesome. You put it up your lip and let it sit there in a little bag and you get nicotine. I completely stopped smoking and only snus now. Its a great way to get nicotine without the harmful soot. And it feels much better.

Unfortunately Snus seems to be filled with a bunch a weird excipients. I looked around and couldn't find a brand without a bunch of weird additives in it.

Chris-R

Please understand that I mean no offense whatsoever in saying this. I am by no means perfect and have had my vices in the past including hard drugs. I speak from experience and empathy, not condemnation.
I would say that if you are smoking daily, that you are not truly lucid, or at the very least are not lucid while taking the actions leading up to and during smoking. Cigarette smoke smells terrible, makes your hair, breath, clothing, car and living space smell terrible. The smoke turns most people away. Makes them avoid you. It is not healthy or necessary. It costs you money which could be much better spent elsewhere. You should (relatively easily) be able to get a point where you look back at the version of you that used to smoke and you can say with total sincerity, "Wow. I cannot believe i did that." I would try to focus on whatever you think it takes to become that future version of yourself, and would argue that it would take a higher level of awareness and lucidity to get there. Best of luck. -chris

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Please understand that I mean no offense whatsoever in saying this. I am by no means perfect and have had my vices in the past including hard drugs. I speak from experience and empathy, not condemnation.
I would say that if you are smoking daily, that you are not truly lucid, or at the very least are not lucid while taking the actions leading up to and during smoking. Cigarette smoke smells terrible, makes your hair, breath, clothing, car and living space smell terrible. The smoke turns most people away. Makes them avoid you. It is not healthy or necessary. It costs you money which could be much better spent elsewhere. You should (relatively easily) be able to get a point where you look back at the version of you that used to smoke and you can say with total sincerity, "Wow. I cannot believe i did that." I would try to focus on whatever you think it takes to become that future version of yourself, and would argue that it would take a higher level of awareness and lucidity to get there. Best of luck. -chris

I do not disagree

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I think it is not possible for me or anyone to think they can just smoke a few a day....It is truly addictive and maybe I just need to cold turkey

aguineapig

I've tried to reintroduce tobacco a dozen or more times in the last year and none of my attempts either.

It's just individual physiology (emphasis) and cigarettes being the most addictive delivery method.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I've tried to reintroduce tobacco a dozen or more times in the last year and none of my attempts either.

It's just individual physiology (emphasis) and cigarettes being the most addictive delivery method.

Some people get away with a few a day..... If I was not a drinker, I could get away with 7-10

Chris-R

I think it is not possible for me or anyone to think they can just smoke a few a day....It is truly addictive and maybe I just need to cold turkey

That is an AWESOME plan.
Another piece of advice that helped me in the past was a change in perspective.... Don't think of quitting as being something you want but can't have, but rather something you resent. Resent the product, the marketing, the manufacturers, hell even resent the ingredients.... they all tricked you into buying and using, and it has caused you harm.

Constatine

Not an overly effective strategy but it helps. Try implementing a ritual to replace smoking. Such as making tea or coffee instead every time you feel a craving. The habit or daily ritual of smoking is almost as addictive as the nicotine itself. Smoking provides a constant activity, something to do throughout your day. When you stop smoking suddenly many parts of your day just feel empty. Try your best to fill them with something.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals