What have you done to go Slow / Low Tech?

Luann

What have you done to stop relying on smartphones and other gadgets?
I deleted almost all the apps on my phone, bought a real calendar, notepad, alarm clock, and an Ipod. I also try to turn my laptop off more often.
Who else is trying to minimize tech use, and what is your experience?

Starship

I just have no use for phone, so I don't use it. I was trying to get into smartphone, but literally nobody would text or call me for years. It is usually turned off for months in a row. I don't use alarm clock, I have very robust circadian rhythm. It is very positive overall.
Though, I do plan to install Neuralink chip in future whenever I can do so.

OP
Luann

Luann

Ah, you're a whole step ahead of me! Are you serious about the neuralink chip? I just looked it up. What interests you about it?

Starship

Ah, you're a whole step ahead of me! Are you serious about the neuralink chip? I just looked it up. What interests you about it?
Definitely serious. It's very exciting to me that I can connect to electronics with my brain. I think that future versions of Neuralink will allow us to amplify our intelligence, that is exactly when I will be able to afford one. This technology has a potential to move humanity on the next level, just like artificial intelligence does.

CreakyJoints

walkman.png

Gotta get that sweet DNR compression.

meatbag

Elon Musk's Neuralink May Give AI The Keys To Our Brains

lon Musk is a consummate Technocrat and Transhumanist who sees the merger of the human condition with advanced technology as the way to achieve Humanity 2.0. Remember that Technocracy is the “Science of Social Engineering.” ⁃ TN Editor
When Elon Musk gave the world a demo in August of his latest endeavor, the brain-computer interface (BCI) Neuralink, he reminded us that the lines between brain and machine are blurring quickly.

Though Neuralink and BCIs alike are still likely many years away from widespread implementation, their potential benefits and use cases are tantalizing, especially as the technology eventually evolves from stage 1 applications, such as helping those with spinal cord injuries, to more complex ones, such as controlling multiple devices.

It bears remembering, however, that Neuralink is, at its core, a computer — and as with all computing advancements in human history, the more complex and smart computers become, the more attractive targets they become for hackers.

To be sure, the consequences of high-level hacking today are severe, but we’ve never before had computers linked to our brains, which seems a hacker’s ultimate prey.

Our brains hold information computers don’t have. A brain linked to a computer/AI such as a BCI removes that barrier to the brain, potentially allowing hackers to rush in and cause problems we can’t even fathom today. Might hacking humans via BCI be the next major evolution in hacking, carried out through a dangerous combination of past hacking methods?

To better understand how hacking the brain could happen, let’s first examine how the relationship between humans, computers and hacking has evolved over time.

1980s To Mid-1990s: Hacking Tech To Get Human Data

Though hacking has been around since the 1960s, the modern age started in the 1980s when personal computers — and then hackers — made their way into homes.

Hacking took advantage of new and emerging technology that was easily manipulated. Hackers’ treasure during this time was mainly personal and financial information, such as credit card details, and they leveraged technology to get it.

The 1992 film Sneakers — about a black box capable of breaking any encryption code, ensuring there were “no more secrets” — helped popularize and reveal some of the hacking techniques used at the time, such as infiltration, physical intrusion and backdoor access. During this time, computers were the conduit to human data.

Mid-1990s To Today: Hacking Tech Via Humans

As technology became more accessible, humans began storing more of their private, sensitive information within technology, which now held the keys to hackers’ treasure.

While the core theme of Sneakers was to use a black box to cryptographically decipher systems, social engineering was heavily used to gain access to the box — a tactic that has grown exponentially as hackers shift their approach. Instead of breaking into the technology itself, hackers began preying on the vulnerabilities of human behavior (the weakest link) to get into the tech we rely on to store our vital information.

This period has been dominated by phishing and all forms of social engineering — hackers’ psychological manipulation of humans to persuade them into doing the hackers’ bidding. During this period, humans have been the conduit to technology.

ReSTART

What do you with tech is more important than how much you use it. If you're on instagram and tiktok all day, it's different than reading scientific journals and discussing how to fix your car on a car forum or whatever

OP
Luann

Luann

Sure, and I think that the latter two activities - especially the car forum - ultimately are not confined to the internet, and lead back to the outside world. And accomplishing and enjoying things beyond the web. That's more healthy

M

metabolizm

I stopped using a smartphone. I use a cheap phone with no internet instead. That's been life-changing.

Using a desktop computer, rather than a laptop, makes a difference too.

gaze

I stopped using a smartphone. I use a cheap phone with no internet instead. That's been life-changing.

Using a desktop computer, rather than a laptop, makes a difference too.
was it a difficult transition? getting rid of the smart phone.

M

metabolizm

was it a difficult transition? getting rid of the smart phone.

It was surprisingly easy. Only thing I really miss is the mobile banking app. All the social media stuff was a waste of time. It's nice to go out all day and not see your emails until you get home and log into your computer.

gaze

It was surprisingly easy. Only thing I really miss is the mobile banking app. All the social media stuff was a waste of time. It's nice to go out all day and not see your emails until you get home and log into your computer.
how much were you using it before? right now my screen time is like 5 hours a day which is pretty high, but a lot of people i know are at 8 hours which is insanely high. i think it would be easier if i had an engaging job to fill my time but currently cause the lockdown i'm still not working besides side projects, so i have a lot of free time to burn

Jon2547

I deleted almost all the apps on my phone, bought a real calendar, notepad, alarm clock, and an Ipod. I also try to turn my laptop off more often.
I use a corded phone, a desktop computer and read from an actual bible held in my hands, use incandescent light bulbs, and am planning to move to a rural area soon far away from most tech.

I communicate only by carrier pigeon.

LA

very relaxing experience simply using land-line phones, hard-wired computers, small flip-phones without internet connection, no apps, no mobiles, no smartphones or smart anything, no wifi, no laptops. No social media except for an old twitter, which I had used to sub to editorial cartoonists although my favorite accts have been suspended. I check once a month to see if they are allowed to return

Last edited: