What have you done to go Slow / Low Tech?

dfspcc20

What have you done to stop relying on smartphones and other gadgets?
I deleted almost all the apps on my phone, bought a real calendar, notepad, alarm clock, and an Ipod. I also try to turn my laptop off more often.
Who else is trying to minimize tech use, and what is your experience?

I used to deliver pizzas in high school in the late 90s. Usually we'd need to look up streets in the maps that were printed in the backs of phonebooks, then have to form a mental picture and remember that while navigating. Often having 2-3 delivers at a time to remember. Good luck if it was a new housing development that wasn't on the maps yet. :)
I think something is lost now with GPS and smartphones always telling us where we are and how to get places.
BTW- that was the best high school job. Work a few hours on a Friday or Saturday, and come home with $100+ in cash (we didn't report tips to the IRS, obviously...). Gas being less that $1/gal didn't hurt either.

It was surprisingly easy. Only thing I really miss is the mobile banking app. All the social media stuff was a waste of time. It's nice to go out all day and not see your emails until you get home and log into your computer.

What make/model of phone did you get? If you don't mind sharing.

M

metabolizm

I used to deliver pizzas in high school in the late 90s. Usually we'd need to look up streets in the maps that were printed in the backs of phonebooks, then have to form a mental picture and remember that while navigating. Often having 2-3 delivers at a time to remember. Good luck if it was a new housing development that wasn't on the maps yet. :)
I think something is lost now with GPS and smartphones always telling us where we are and how to get places.
BTW- that was the best high school job. Work a few hours on a Friday or Saturday, and come home with $100+ in cash (we didn't report tips to the IRS, obviously...). Gas being less that $1/gal didn't hurt either.

What make/model of phone did you get? If you don't mind sharing.

It was the the updated Nokia 3310

OP
Luann

Luann

Yeah, absolutely :)

it's a brave new world now :confused:

didn't i hear that "basic" phones have a lot higher emf output? altho i think that would be the only real drawback.

OP
Luann

Luann

Something else I'm working on is feeling safe without a phone with me. I have a list of contact numbers and something I can use in self defense in my purse. Of course on longer trips I take a phone

Using a real alarm clock is a pretty different experience from the phone alarm. I plug my phone in a ways away, set the real alarm, and read with a flashlight to fall asleep.

lvysaur

No need, because I never adopted it in the first place. I'm still on 2000s technology, I only use my computer for internet.

Smartphone for directions sometimes, that's it.

Not sure how everyone's gotten accustomed to spending all their online time on a 5" screen with a shitty touchpad. Maybe most people are poor typists and have small fingers.

Ipods are great because they're so lightweight and slim, plus the obvious EMF/4G advantages.
Honestly, even an older smartphone is a decent option compared to a newer one. The newer ones give off way more EMF or 5G, such that it's VERY obvious if I go to bed with it under my pillow--I wake up feeling exhausted and unrested. Doesn't happen with the older "shittier" smartphones.

gaze

No need, because I never adopted it in the first place. I'm still on 2000s technology, I only use my computer for internet.

Smartphone for directions sometimes, that's it.

Not sure how everyone's gotten accustomed to spending all their online time on a 5" screen with a shitty touchpad. Maybe most people are poor typists and have small fingers.

Ipods are great because they're so lightweight and slim, plus the obvious EMF/4G advantages.
Honestly, even an older smartphone is a decent option compared to a newer one. The newer ones give off way more EMF or 5G, such that it's VERY obvious if I go to bed with it under my pillow--I wake up feeling exhausted and unrested. Doesn't happen with the older "shittier" smartphones.
why would you sleep with a phone below your pillow in the first place

OP
Luann

Luann

I mean yeah, I got an ipod after dropping my phone while running. Now it's not expensive to drop, and there's no looking at the screen while music driving

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals