What Has Helped You The Most For Hypoglycemia?

OP
E
I also attribute much of my improvement to those two supplements specifically. I ran out of biotin, need to buy more.

Ulla

I have taurine actually but I don't drink it.
I was using it for ten days, then gave blood and saw an increased TSH and too low T4 (first time). Everything in my diet before taking a blood sample was kept the same except taurine I had been drinking it for 10 days .
T3 was higher than usual but normal.
Now I am afraid of taking taurine. I guess my thyorid doesn't produce enough T4. :confused:

I think my skin got a little better on taking taurine (for a couple of days). This could probably be a sign of better insulin sensitivity (aka better liver function).
Hm.:confused:

johnsmith

Any other advice for hypoglycemic symptoms?

I feel like garbage in a painful way when my blood sugar gets too low. Drinking a cola relieves symptoms very fast.

jyb

RBTI has helped me tremendously...just stick to the basics, moderate breakfast, big lunch, small dinner. 3 meals a day.

I like this kind of diagnostics, paying attention to how the effects of a meal hours later not just right after eating. I'm not sure if he is correct to imply that this pattern (big break fast and lunch then small dinner) is the only way to manage this. That's not how I do it, but it's debatable and there are reasons for and against.

Last edited:

biggirlkisss

I find that red light like sunlight helps me last longer without blood sugar issues but ya a coke does a good job.

ubiety

Looks like this might be the trick I was looking for...

I'll try this for my reactive hypoglycemia, thanks for posting. I've recently been taking 10g of glycine powder before bed and it's significantly improved my sleep.

DuggaDugga

Looks like this might be the trick I was looking for...

I saw this earlier today. I was curious why glycine had that effect, so I went looking. . . .

Well, as most of us are aware protein stimulates the secretion of insulin, but not all amino acids are created equally in that regard apparently.
Our laboratory is interested in the metabolic response to ingested proteins, particularly in persons with type 2 diabetes. The reason for this interest is that ingested protein either results in no increase in peripheral blood glucose concentrations or increases them only modestly (1, 2). However, ingested protein stimulates both insulin and glucagon secretion. In addition, in persons with type 2 diabetes, protein ingested with glucose reduces the integrated, single-meal glucose area response when compared with that after the ingestion of only glucose by the same subjects. This is due to a synergistic stimulation of insulin secretion when protein is ingested simultaneously with glucose (3).

Of 7 different protein sources tested previously, one of the most potent was gelatin (4). This was somewhat surprising because gelatin is an atypical protein. On a molar basis, glycine makes up ≈30% of the total amino acids present (5). Therefore, we were interested in determining whether glycine itself stimulates insulin secretion or reduces the integrated glucose response when ingested with a standardized amount of glucose. We first determined the response in normal young subjects.

The metabolic response to ingested glycine

First, the glycine response seemed to be slightly attenuated by consumption with glucose with glycine.
But there's more to this story, since consumption of protein alone will stimulate, not just insulin, but also glucagon to antagonize the insulin. If it didn't the insulin would cause a precipitous drop in blood sugar. No bueno. We'll be back to that. . . .

F1.medium.gif

Top: Mean (± SEM) plasma glycine response in 9 healthy subjects after the ingestion of water only (○….○), 25 g glucose (•––•), 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▵– –▵), or 25 g glucose + 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▴——▴). Bottom: The 120-min net integrated glycine area response with the use of the concentration at time zero as baseline. n = 9. Bars with different letters are significantly different, P ≤ 0.01.

Second, we see that the insulin response was also attenuated by consumption of glycine with glucose.

F3.medium.gif

Top: Mean (± SEM) serum insulin response in 9 healthy subjects after the ingestion of water only (○….○), 25 g glucose (•––•), 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▵– –▵), or 25 g glucose + 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▴——▴). Bottom: The 120-min net integrated insulin area response with the use of the concentration at time zero as baseline. n = 9. Bars with different letters are significantly different, P ≤ 0.01.

After a cursory review, it appears that the two buffer the metabolism of one another like Chris mentioned.

Back to glucagon. . . .
F4.medium.gif

Top: Mean (± SEM) plasma glucagon response in 9 healthy subjects after the ingestion of water only (○….○), 25 g glucose (•––•), 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▵– –▵), or 25 g glucose + 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▴——▴). Bottom: The 120-min net integrated glucagon area response with the use of the concentration at time zero as baseline. n = 9. Bars with different letters are significantly different, P ≤ 0.01.

Look at the differences! Glycine alone caused a massive spike in glucagon, while consumption of glycine with carbs or carbs alone had no such effect. Makes sense. The body knows it glucose to use with the insulin, so it wants to keep us sensitive to it. No risk of blood sugar plummeting

Next (and what I think is the most important), is the proposed mechanism. . . .
The dramatic reduction in the glucose area response when glycine was ingested with glucose is of considerable interest from a physiologic point of view. However, the mechanism remains to be determined. The integrated insulin area response after the ingestion of glycine + glucose was essentially the same as when only glucose was ingested, but it occurred at a greatly attenuated increase in glucose concentration and without a delay in the return of the glucose concentration to the initial fasting value. This result is similar to that we and others observed in healthy subjects when fat was ingested with glucose (20, 21). It suggests that the glucose clearance rate was accelerated. The clearance rate of ingested glucose was not determined in any of these studies. Therefore, whether the attenuated increase in glucose and rapid return to the fasting value was due to 1) an increased removal rate either directly or indirectly as a result of the rise in insulin, 2) an independent mechanism, or 3) a decrease in the endogenous glucose production rate cannot be determined.

A decrease in the glucose production rate would not be expected in the presence of a persistent large increase in the glucagon concentration. In fact, one would anticipate an increase in glucose production. A reduction in the glucose absorption rate also is unlikely but cannot be ruled out. Glycine has been reported to compete with glucose for absorption (22). Cholecystokinin and glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1,7-36 amide) strongly reduce the rate of gastric emptying. The latter hormone also may reduce duodenal motility (23). Intraduodenal instillation of a mixture of nutritionally required amino acids stimulates cholecystokinin secretion; individually, phenylalanine, valine, and methionine were most potent. Nonnutritionally required amino acids including glycine did not stimulate cholecystokinin secretion (24). GLP-1 also stimulates insulin secretion and reduces glucagon secretion. Because glycine stimulated an increase in both insulin and glucagon, a glycine-stimulated increase in GLP-1 is not likely to explain the results (23). Overall, the data suggest that oral glycine stimulates the secretion, either directly or indirectly, of a gut hormone that potentiates or is additive with the effect of insulin in stimulating the removal of glucose from the circulation. It also inhibits the effect of glucagon on endogenous glucose production. Nevertheless, this remains only a speculation at present.

In any regard, the ingested glycine effect on the postprandial glucose concentration may be important therapeutically if a similar effect can be shown in persons with type 2 diabetes. It will also be of interest to determine whether glycine synergistically facilitates insulin secretion by other amino acids that are quantitatively prominent in gelatin protein.

The proposed reasoning is the release of peptide hormones that slow digestion and promote the secretion of digestive enzymes and bile. Possibly, this is why Ray recommends eating saturated fats to slow the digestion of starches to attenuate spikes in blood sugar. Though through different mechanisms, we might consider the advantage of consuming food with fructose to potentiate insulin secretion to also help moderate blood glucose.
Sweet taste receptor signaling in beta cells mediates fructose-induced potentiation of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. - PubMed - NCBI

johnsmith

I'll try this for my reactive hypoglycemia, thanks for posting. I've recently been taking 10g of glycine powder before bed and it's significantly improved my sleep.

I have been taking 3 tbs Great Lakes Collagen before bed lately, and it improved my sleep remarkably.

Now I plan to experiment with taking glycine just before my meals as well. Isn't glycine way cheeper then collagen?

L

lollipop

I saw this earlier today. I was curious why glycine had that effect, so I went looking. . . .

Well, as most of us are aware protein stimulates the secretion of insulin, but not all amino acids are created equally in that regard apparently.

The metabolic response to ingested glycine

First, the glycine response seemed to be slightly attenuated by consumption with glucose with glycine.
But there's more to this story, since consumption of protein alone will stimulate, not just insulin, but also glucagon to antagonize the insulin. If it didn't the insulin would cause a precipitous drop in blood sugar. No bueno. We'll be back to that. . . .

F1.medium.gif

Top: Mean (± SEM) plasma glycine response in 9 healthy subjects after the ingestion of water only (○….○), 25 g glucose (•––•), 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▵– –▵), or 25 g glucose + 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▴——▴). Bottom: The 120-min net integrated glycine area response with the use of the concentration at time zero as baseline. n = 9. Bars with different letters are significantly different, P ≤ 0.01.

Second, we see that the insulin response was also attenuated by consumption of glycine with glucose.

F3.medium.gif

Top: Mean (± SEM) serum insulin response in 9 healthy subjects after the ingestion of water only (○….○), 25 g glucose (•––•), 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▵– –▵), or 25 g glucose + 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▴——▴). Bottom: The 120-min net integrated insulin area response with the use of the concentration at time zero as baseline. n = 9. Bars with different letters are significantly different, P ≤ 0.01.

After a cursory review, it appears that the two buffer the metabolism of one another like Chris mentioned.

Back to glucagon. . . .
F4.medium.gif

Top: Mean (± SEM) plasma glucagon response in 9 healthy subjects after the ingestion of water only (○….○), 25 g glucose (•––•), 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▵– –▵), or 25 g glucose + 1 mmol glycine/kg lean body mass (▴——▴). Bottom: The 120-min net integrated glucagon area response with the use of the concentration at time zero as baseline. n = 9. Bars with different letters are significantly different, P ≤ 0.01.

Look at the differences! Glycine alone caused a massive spike in glucagon, while consumption of glycine with carbs or carbs alone had no such effect. Makes sense. The body knows it glucose to use with the insulin, so it wants to keep us sensitive to it. No risk of blood sugar plummeting

Next (and what I think is the most important), is the proposed mechanism. . . .

The proposed reasoning is the release of peptide hormones that slow digestion and promote the secretion of digestive enzymes and bile. Possibly, this is why Ray recommends eating saturated fats to slow the digestion of starches to attenuate spikes in blood sugar. Though through different mechanisms, we might consider the advantage of consuming food with fructose to potentiate insulin secretion to also help moderate blood glucose.
Sweet taste receptor signaling in beta cells mediates fructose-induced potentiation of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. - PubMed - NCBI
What a great post thank you @DuggaDugga.

Elephanto

Avoiding a diet based on dairy and sugar. It was putting me in a blood sugar rollercoaster (especially dairy/casein with its opioid effect that I'm particularly sensitive to). Switching to a mainly rice and legumes diet greatly increased my capacity to space meals without stress reactions, which also seemed to be a reflection of increased glycogen storage and coincided with increased Testosterone and healthier looks. I then started to do Intermittent Fasting without any stress reactions, which would have been impossible on my previous diet. In my experience IF has also increased Insulin Sensitivity, I know that a study finds the opposite in obese individuals but there's a couple of factors that could explain contrasting effects, 1) the base health state of the individual 2) the diet content 3) mental stress management during the fasting window and 4) the length of the fasting window in relation to the individual's health state (I usually do 16-18 hours without issue but obviously longer fasts tend to have a stressing effect and accumulate Lactic Acid in muscles). The Endotoxins reduction of IF would contribute to increased Insulin Sensitivity and to a positive shift of many health parameters; other Endotoxins and mental stress reduction strategies are also beneficial regarding hypoglycemia in my experience. Strategies that reverse or prevent diabetes should also be considered : Serotonin reduction (avoiding darkness, blue lights, decreasing Iron and Tryptophan, keeping CO2 high etc), reducing total fat intake, antioxidants with protective effect on liver and pancreas, vitamin B1, Niacinamide, emotional/mental stress reduction and Calcium Receptors Antagonists (Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc).

yerrag

Elimination of PUFA worked for me. But it takes 4 years since going cold turkey on PUFA to get the effect.

It worked for me, although when I stopped PUFA it wasn't for any specific purpose. That was before I read Ray Peat, but I just reasoned (after listening to Brian Peskin on a Rainmaking Time interviews) that he may be right, and the next day I stopped all PUFA. Years later, I decided to eat white rice just for kicks. White rice used to make me hypo after 3 hours from eating, and I had been on brown rice for at least 15 years. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I no longer felt low blood sugar after 3 hours and longer.

I was lucky. I don't really have the patience to wait 4 years to see the effect. I just did what I did without expecting any specific outcome. Then when I started Ray Peat, I realized I was on the right path. It took me a while to become open once again to eating white rice. When I did finally try white rice, I felt good and since then have been on white rice. Happy to enjoy my rice and feel good about eating it. No guilt involved. Just like it is with drinking cane sugar Coke.

EJG2112

Eating balanced meals, 33-33-33 or fairly close to it. With at least 1/2 of the carbs coming from starch.

I have a love / hate relationship with starch. Eating starch gives me belly / torso bloat, water retention. (Gut bacteria and or liver issues, I'm quite sure) Eating only fruit, juice, dairy, sugar, and non starchy vegetables for carbs does give me hypoglycemia issues after about 2 weeks on a no starch diet, even when eaten with fat and protein. On no starch, I feel less bloated, my pants fit better, etc. Unfortunately, starch + fat + protein is the only thing that is satiating to me. A meal of meat and fruit tastes great, digests well, but I'm always hungry. Gut bacteria again, probably hungry for starch.

I feel bad on low carb (higher protein and high fat) and high carb (moderate protein and low fat). I seem to need an adequate amount of both fat and carbs.

Luming Zhou

I get severe hypoglycemic symptoms from sucrose syrup. But I get little to no symptoms from invert syrup. Invert syrup has the glucose and fructose molecules separated. I make invert syrup by mixing two part sucrose and one part water, and adding ascorbic acid in a ratio of 1000:1 by weight of the sucrose and then heating the mixture to at least 114 °C (237 °F). Alternatively, instead of ascorbic acid, you could use white vinegar in a ratio of 150:1 between sucrose and vinegar. This is enough to break up the bond between glucose and fructose.

You could use a candy thermometer or a pressure cooker. If you use a pressure cooker, use a pressure setting that takes the food to at least 114 °C (237 °F). If it is an Instant Pot, use the "high" pressure setting. The "high" pressure setting is at 10.2-11.6 psi, and at that pressure range, it has a temperature of 239 °F-244 °F. Make sure the solution is fully dissolved when it reaches the boiling point. You could use the "Sauté" function key on the Instant Pot which allows you stir the solution at high temperature with the lid off, to make sure it is fully dissolved, before you put the lid on for the actual pressure cooking.

Also, making sure that the meal is high is potassium also helps. If I eat white rice, which is in itself lacking in potassium, I make sure to pair it up with a potassium-rich food like orange juice or potatoes.

Last edited:

jet9

Eating only fruit, juice, dairy, sugar, and non starchy vegetables for carbs does give me hypoglycemia issues after about 2 weeks on a no starch diet.

Do you mean that for 2 weeks with no starch you are ok and than you start having issues or that you tried it for 2 weeks and all 2 weeks you were hypoglycemiac ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals