What Has Helped You The Most For Hypoglycemia?

tara

Derek said:
post 109384 PUFA also can sometimes be helpful for keeping blood sugar stable. Maybe try eating a handful of peanuts or almonds in between meals and see how that works for you.

Derek said:
post 109704 I am not actively encouraging nuts or PUFA.

There I was thinking that was encouragement to eat peanuts or almonds for the PUFAs. But if that's not what you meant, then I hope the OP and other readers didn't have the same misunderstanding as I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Derek said:
post 109694 Ray has said to eat to increase the metabolic rate (temps & pulse) rather than eating any specific foods.
Yes, I agree.
But it seemed to me that the criterion you suggested for eating PUFA/nuts was to see if it reduced hypoglycemia in the short-term, not that it would increase metabolic rate. Maybe I misunderstood this.
I think I used to suffer hypoglycemia, and eating peanut butter sandwiches or tahini hommous seemed to help me avoid some of those extremes in the short term. I also cooked with PUFA and drank soy because I was having trouble with dairy. I now think all that PUFA may have been a significant contributor to my worsening health issues in the couple of decades since. But if I judged on what initially allowed me to last longer between meals without getting faint, they were at least initially a success. I know this is just anecdotal, and I know that there were many other factors involved, so in itself it's not much evidence.

Derek said:
post 109694For some people a peanut butter sandwich can increase the metabolic rate!

I have heard such stories too. The ones I've come across so far can probably be summarised as almost anything, including peanut butter sandwiches, beats starving for raising metabolism.

I can also imagine that there might be occasional situations where someone has a particular set of intolerances or allergies that make peanut butter a lesser evil compared with other available food, even if other food would serve most people better.

I also accept that a peanut butter sandwich is lower PUFA/cal density than some commonly available/eaten foods, so some people could be reducing their PUFA intake by switching some of them out for a peanut butter sandwich. I don't think this is the situation for the OP or other posters in this thread though.

D

Derek

Tara,

We can disagree can't we? Or do I have to agree with you?

A peanut butter/jelly sandwich can raise the metabolic rate because it's high calorie/low water content/high carb! Do you discount the amount of vitamin E in nuts in order to offset the effects of the PUFA contained?

Someone with hypoglycemia in my opinion needs to eat calorie dense, low water content, starchy/fat foods. You need to eat foods that satiate you in order to overcome this issue, and skim milk and sugar doesn't quite do it.

Ulla

Yesterday I had milk rice for a dinner. Right before sleep I ate some bread from dried fruit too – very sweet thing. Usually I sleep entire night until 6 am. This night I woke up at 2 am and then at 5am and at 6 am again. I went out of bed at 6.30 am, couldn't wait to eat. I felt quite energetic when woke up. At the moment while writing this, its 10 am, I feel tired. Feels like a lack of sleep.
I think that energetic vibes in the early morning were from stress hormones.

I just wonder why that happened because I ate enough sugars before bedtime– around 180 g of carbs. And for me that is a lot because usually I eat less carbs before bed and more during the day. I would expect I would sleep all night long with that amonut.

Did my metabolism go into higher gear and that wasn't enough?

OP
E
Hey guys I got some labs that may shine some light on whats going on with me.

I had a lot of labs done but ill only post the ones that were abnormal or important.

Insulin 23.0 uIu/ml HIGH **
IGF-1 354 ng/ml HIGH ************
Glucose 80 normal

Estrone 86 pg/ml HIGH *************
Estradiol 30.2 pg/ml (increased since last labs, within range) **********
Testosterone total 581 ng/dl Free 11.6 pg/ml (Not as high as I would like?)
Progesterone .7 uiu/ml normal
DHEA-Sulfate 473 ug/dl normal
Cortisol AM 16.8 ug/dl 16.8 Normal top of range is 19.4

Tsh 1.29 uiu/ml normal
T4 7.5 ug/dl normal
T3 109 ng/dl normal, top of range is 180
Free T3 3.6 pg/ml normal top of range is 4.4
Reverse T3 18.5 ng/dl Normal top of range is 24.1 ***********

BUN 9 mg/dl
Creatinine 1.23 mg/dl
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 7 LOW********
Carbon Dioxide 25 mmol/L normal
ALkaline Phosphatase, S 88 IU/L normal
AST 22 IU/l normal
ALT 26 IU/l normal

From what I know, HIgh estrogen and Reverse T3 point to a Sluggish liver. Something I already knew via HIDA Scan and Pain.
Insulin was high but I was not fasting so i'm not sure that is even useful. However I read one of the things they do to test for an Insulinoma is Insulin/Glucose Ratio. It says for a healthy person the ratio should be no more than .25. Severe insulinoma Can be up to 1. I come in at about .29. Although It did mention that obese people (AkA insulin resistant) may be slightly higher. I'm pretty lean.

I need to refresh my mind on things that Lower estrogen and cause/help high Reverse T3.
Aspirin, Vitamin E, to lower estrogen, and i'm not sure what to do for reverse t3
Any Ideas?

tara

Derek said:
post 109824 We can disagree can't we? Or do I have to agree with you?
You don't have to agree with me.
You don't have to agree with Peat, either.
But when you give advice here, I think it would be good to be clear when that advice diverges significantly from Peat's.

Derek said:
post 109824 A peanut butter/jelly sandwich can raise the metabolic rate because it's high calorie/low water content/high carb!
I agree that high carb and calorie density can be very helpful sometimes, and I agree that this could be why a peanut butter jelly sandwich could have some beneficial effects on metabolism in some situations. I don't have any reason to think it's the peanut butter that is generally the beneficial part, though - could be the starch, salt, sugar, fruit. There are other kinds of sandwiches that have lower PUFA and might serve better.
But there are situations where I think eating peanut butter sandwiches is probably a lot better than nothing - and that is when someone is recovering from life-threatening anorexia/bulimia/orthorexia etc, and needs to ditch the habits of extreme restriction in order to get enough food/energy in at all. Not because peanuts are particularly good, but because starvation kills quicker. If there are better palatable options available, so much the better.
The latter is my opinion, quite possibly not Peat's (I've not seen anything from him on this.)

Derek said:
post 109824 Do you discount the amount of vitamin E in nuts in order to offset the effects of the PUFA contained?
According to Peat, vit-E can only partially protect against PUFA, and it's better to not have the PUFA in the first place, even if it does contain a little vit-E. It is not possible to eat food and completely avoid PUFA. So probably most (all?) of us accumulate more than optimal amounts of it in our bodies as we age. Supplementing vit-E with as little additional PUFA as possible is one way Peat has mentioned to help protect against the burden that is already there.

Derek said:
post 109824 Someone with hypoglycemia in my opinion needs to eat calorie dense, low water content, starchy/fat foods. You need to eat foods that satiate you in order to overcome this issue, and skim milk and sugar doesn't quite do it.
I agree with you that high carb- and calorie-density can be important, and that for many people including some starchy food seems to help. People seem to vary a bit in terms of how much fat they benefit from - some may well have periods when it works better for them to include a bit more fat.

Suggesting that deliberately eating more PUFA/PUFA-rich food is going to help health and metabolism is still pretty directly contradictory to all the writing I've seen from Peat on this subject. As far as I can tell, Peat explicitly and consistently favours fat from coconuts, milk, ruminants, cacao. I have never read or heard him recommend eating nuts or any other high PUFA food.

tara

naninani said:
post 110047 I just wonder why that happened because I ate enough sugars before bedtime– around 180 g of carbs. And for me that is a lot because usually I eat less carbs before bed and more during the day. I would expect I would sleep all night long with that amonut.
More during the day make s sense to me. And just a little before bed.

Amazoniac

jyb said:
post 109446
extremecheddar said:
post 109425 For example, I keep reading studied that show how good niacinamide is for glucose control/ diabetes. How ever for me and many other people, It made things worse.

Niacinamide kills your blood fatty acids. So if you were already hungry hypoglycaemic, I imagine the energy deficiency and therefore stress will increase. There are some Peaty supplements that I enjoy, but niacinamide is not one of them (I experimented with it a lot in the past - I concluded that overall I should not use it). I see where Peat is coming from with niacinamide and in theory I can see why it would be useful in some situations, but I'm definitely not in one of those situations.
Interesting post, jyb. Could you expand a little bit and explain what do you mean by kill your blood fatty acids?

D

Derek

tara said:
post 111330
Derek said:
post 109824 We can disagree can't we? Or do I have to agree with you?
You don't have to agree with me.
You don't have to agree with Peat, either.
But when you give advice here, I think it would be good to be clear when that advice diverges significantly from Peat's.

Derek said:
post 109824 A peanut butter/jelly sandwich can raise the metabolic rate because it's high calorie/low water content/high carb!
I agree that high carb and calorie density can be very helpful sometimes, and I agree that this could be why a peanut butter jelly sandwich could have some beneficial effects on metabolism in some situations. I don't have any reason to think it's the peanut butter that is generally the beneficial part, though - could be the starch, salt, sugar, fruit. There are other kinds of sandwiches that have lower PUFA and might serve better.
But there are situations where I think eating peanut butter sandwiches is probably a lot better than nothing - and that is when someone is recovering from life-threatening anorexia/bulimia/orthorexia etc, and needs to ditch the habits of extreme restriction in order to get enough food/energy in at all. Not because peanuts are particularly good, but because starvation kills quicker. If there are better palatable options available, so much the better.
The latter is my opinion, quite possibly not Peat's (I've not seen anything from him on this.)

Derek said:
post 109824 Do you discount the amount of vitamin E in nuts in order to offset the effects of the PUFA contained?
According to Peat, vit-E can only partially protect against PUFA, and it's better to not have the PUFA in the first place, even if it does contain a little vit-E. It is not possible to eat food and completely avoid PUFA. So probably most (all?) of us accumulate more than optimal amounts of it in our bodies as we age. Supplementing vit-E with as little additional PUFA as possible is one way Peat has mentioned to help protect against the burden that is already there.

Derek said:
post 109824 Someone with hypoglycemia in my opinion needs to eat calorie dense, low water content, starchy/fat foods. You need to eat foods that satiate you in order to overcome this issue, and skim milk and sugar doesn't quite do it.
I agree with you that high carb- and calorie-density can be important, and that for many people including some starchy food seems to help. People seem to vary a bit in terms of how much fat they benefit from - some may well have periods when it works better for them to include a bit more fat.

Suggesting that deliberately eating more PUFA/PUFA-rich food is going to help health and metabolism is still pretty directly contradictory to all the writing I've seen from Peat on this subject. As far as I can tell, Peat explicitly and consistently favours fat from coconuts, milk, ruminants, cacao. I have never read or heard him recommend eating nuts or any other high PUFA food.

Tara,

You need to understand that all of Peat's advice and writing is only valuable in context. Do you think that in every case, for every person, he recommends the same thing? Do you think if someone was hyperthyroid he would recommend eating a high carb/sugar, high saturated fat diet? Or that he would recommend thyroid supplementation and vitamin E?

jyb

Amazoniac said:
post 111348
jyb said:
post 109446
extremecheddar said:
post 109425 For example, I keep reading studied that show how good niacinamide is for glucose control/ diabetes. How ever for me and many other people, It made things worse.

Niacinamide kills your blood fatty acids. So if you were already hungry hypoglycaemic, I imagine the energy deficiency and therefore stress will increase. There are some Peaty supplements that I enjoy, but niacinamide is not one of them (I experimented with it a lot in the past - I concluded that overall I should not use it). I see where Peat is coming from with niacinamide and in theory I can see why it would be useful in some situations, but I'm definitely not in one of those situations.
Interesting post, jyb. Could you expand a little bit and explain what do you mean by kill your blood fatty acids?

It reduces circulating fatty acids. It's fairly well known and from plots I've seen it's quite drastic. So it must put pressure on cells to use energy from glucose or at least reduce fatty acid oxidation.

Keeping my fat intake low, regardless if its pufa, mufa, of safa., has been the key for my hypo/hyperglycemia. It took me years of failing to figure this out. People think the term "low fat" sounds too "mainstream" but the "mainstream" also likes fat too so that is not a good angle to come from. What people often call "high fat" is actually high protein and what people often call "high carb" is actually high fat. There is simply no reason to gorge on pufa, olive and avocado mufa, and even saturated dairy fat, chocolate and coconut fat. The only time I see it working is when someone is very active and can burn the safa for energy within the same day of eating it.

OP
E
Last time I tried low fat I think I did a few things wrong. I was eating almost no fat, and I was eating too much muscle meat and plain white rice or potato. I think my calories were to low and the white rice and potato were making my blood sugar worse.

I'm giving it another shot this time with small amounts of fat for calories and blunting insulin. I'm also eating more fiber from veggies and fruit. I'm eating less protein in general and when I do, I make sure it is traditional meats like oxtail, shanks, and shellfish.

I think low fat has the most going for it, I have just had trouble implementing it.

tara

Derek said:
post 111431 You need to understand that all of Peat's advice and writing is only valuable in context. Do you think that in every case, for every person, he recommends the same thing?
No. Do you think he ever recommends peanut butter (with the exception of prolonged strandigns on deserted islands, etc)?

Derek said:
post 111431 Do you think if someone was hyperthyroid he would recommend eating a high carb/sugar, high saturated fat diet? Or that he would recommend thyroid supplementation and vitamin E?
Possibly high sugar/carb, probably lowish sat fat (and minimal PUFA), probably trying thyroid supps, maybe vit-E supp depending on history.

D

Derek

tara said:
post 111523
Derek said:
post 111431 You need to understand that all of Peat's advice and writing is only valuable in context. Do you think that in every case, for every person, he recommends the same thing?
No. Do you think he ever recommends peanut butter (with the exception of prolonged strandigns on deserted islands, etc)?

Derek said:
post 111431 Do you think if someone was hyperthyroid he would recommend eating a high carb/sugar, high saturated fat diet? Or that he would recommend thyroid supplementation and vitamin E?
Possibly high sugar/carb, probably lowish sat fat (and minimal PUFA), probably trying thyroid supps, maybe vit-E supp depending on history.

Have you ever communicated with Peat?

OrangeJuice

RBTI has helped me tremendously...just stick to the basics, moderate breakfast, big lunch, small dinner. 3 meals a day.

tara

Derek said:
post 111526 Have you ever communicated with Peat?
Not directly. I'm not at all sure what I said above is what he would say to everybody - as we've both said, context matters. Sometimes he seems to give just one or two suggestions to try.
If you have a bunch of private emails from him that you want to share, we all appreciate people who post here: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1035

Ulla

I have tried b vitamins, glycine , taurine, k2, caffeine, starch, sugar, fat, pepicid, frequent eating, intermittent fasting, and nothing seems to be working. Is just getting worse.

For those who have had recurrent hypoglycemia, what has helped you the most?

HEY,
did things get better?

OP
E
Better yes, completely resolved no. I keep having set backs often after drinking too much alcohol. I notice I am much less of a hypoglycemic when I keep sugar, fat, and protein low. If I eat ice cream or any form of cream plus sugar, I am almost guaranteed to have a hypoglycemic episode the next day. Starch, minimal protein , and minimal but not zero fat seems to work best for me. I avoid any form of milk fat. Very hard to stick to, but works better than everything else I have tried.

Peata

I am really doing great with symptoms using Taurine and/or Biotin. I did well with the Taurine alone 1 - 2 g. day, but it seems like when I added the Biotin, things really improved. I use high doses though, 15 mg. Biotin in a.m., 10 in middle of day, and another 10 mg. at night. Sometimes a little more.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals