What Has Helped You The Most For Hypoglycemia?

OP
E
For example, I keep reading studied that show how good niacinamide is for glucose control/ diabetes. How ever for me and many other people, It made things worse.
So when you look for studies that say the opposite of what you have heard, they are always out there. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8866571
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19960564
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2653928
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... pubmed#B10

Sometimes I wonder if a lot of the people on this forum are trying to treat the very problems this diet causes. A question at least worth asking...

Brian

extremecheddar said:
post 109425 For example, I keep reading studied that show how good niacinamide is for glucose control/ diabetes. How ever for me and many other people, It made things worse.
So when you look for studies that say the opposite of what you have heard, they are always out there. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8866571

Sometimes I wonder if a lot of the people on this forum are trying to treat the very problems this diet causes. A question at least worth asking...

I think a lot of people attempting a high carb/calcium diet run into problems from high parathyroid hormone and low A, D, K, and/or magnesium. This absolutely was the main thing that was holding me back, so I wonder if others having problems no matter what they try with B vitamins/caffeine/aspirin could be experiencing something similar to what I did.

Do you know what your PTH is at? Or where your A, D, K and magnesium levels are at?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Derek

Brian said:
post 109430
extremecheddar said:
post 109425 For example, I keep reading studied that show how good niacinamide is for glucose control/ diabetes. How ever for me and many other people, It made things worse.

I think a lot of people attempting a high carb/calcium diet run into problems from high parathyroid hormone and low A, D, K, and/or magnesium. This absolutely was the main thing that was holding me back, so I wonder if others having problems no matter what they try with B vitamins/caffeine/aspirin could be experiencing something similar to what I did.

Do you know what your PTH is at? Or where your A, D, K and magnesium levels are at?

Most people on this forum supplement fat solubles (estroban, liver, individual ADK) and that doesn't seem to be correcting their problems.

OP
E
Last time I had PTH tested was about a year before ever changing my diet. D is normal I don't know how you can test for K or Mag. I have not tested for A. One thing I can tell you is that Vitamin A gives me a terrible reaction. Even just one small drop on the skin can take my day from ok to bad so I avoid it. I ate some liver the other day, it was gross and made me feel ill also.

I have been using topical magnesium spray. I have been following Dr. garrett smith and try to incorporate alot of his ideas.

Brian

Derek said:
Most people on this forum supplement fat solubles (estroban, liver, individual ADK) and that doesn't seem to be correcting their problems.

Increasing progesterone somehow and higher magnesium intake is the other essential part of controlling calcium. That can't be overlooked either. Without enough magnesium in the actual cell high carb diets won't create much cellular energy.

My guess is that many people's issues with most diets (not just a Peat inspired diet) is either high PTH, low progesterone, or both. And these hormonal factors have equally to do with environment and lifestyle as diet does.

Brian

extremecheddar said:
post 109433 Last time I had PTH tested was about a year before ever changing my diet. D is normal I don't know how you can test for K or Mag. I have not tested for A. One thing I can tell you is that Vitamin A gives me a terrible reaction. Even just one small drop on the skin can take my day from ok to bad so I avoid it. I ate some liver the other day, it was gross and made me feel ill also.

I have been using topical magnesium spray. I have been following Dr. garrett smith and try to incorporate alot of his ideas.

I like Dr. Smith too, but one thing I've noticed is that progesterone is a major cause for low magnesium in the actual cell. It doesn't matter how much magnesium you eat or rub on you. It won't go in the cell without a good amount of progesterone in your body.

Peat emphasizes that exposure to a very bright daytime environment is one of the main things that stimulates progesterone synthesis. Not red light necessarily, but high lumens comparable to being outside. Spending lots of time outdoors has probably been the single best thing I've done for my health and glycemic control, because it has so much impact on the function of hormones and tissues.

OP
E
My job usually has me out side everyday for most of they day. However I've been low on work for the past few months which corresponds with things getting worse. I know its bad to lay up in the house all day with low lights but nothing else I can do since it has rained here everyday for the past month. Sun is back out so ill try and get some.

Brian

extremecheddar said:
post 109438 My job usually has me out side everyday for most of they day. However I've been low on work for the past few months which corresponds with things getting worse. I know its bad to lay up in the house all day with low lights but nothing else I can do since it has rained here everyday for the past month. Sun is back out so ill try and get some.

I've also noticed the earlier the better. If at all possible I like to spend at least the first hour or two of the day outside and in the brightest, sunniest room possible the rest of the day when I can't be outside.

jyb

extremecheddar said:

Niacinamide kills your blood fatty acids. So if you were already hungry hypoglycaemic, I imagine the energy deficiency and therefore stress will increase. There are some Peaty supplements that I enjoy, but niacinamide is not one of them (I experimented with it a lot in the past - I concluded that overall I should not use it). I see where Peat is coming from with niacinamide and in theory I can see why it would be useful in some situations, but I'm definitely not in one of those situations.

D

Derek

Brian said:
post 109437
extremecheddar said:
post 109433 Last time I had PTH tested was about a year before ever changing my diet. D is normal I don't know how you can test for K or Mag. I have not tested for A. One thing I can tell you is that Vitamin A gives me a terrible reaction. Even just one small drop on the skin can take my day from ok to bad so I avoid it. I ate some liver the other day, it was gross and made me feel ill also.

I like Dr. Smith too, but one thing I've noticed is that progesterone is a major cause for low magnesium in the actual cell. It doesn't matter how much magnesium you eat or rub on you. It won't go in the cell without a good amount of progesterone in your body.

Peat emphasizes that exposure to a very bright daytime environment is one of the main things that stimulates progesterone synthesis. Not red light necessarily, but high lumens comparable to being outside. Spending lots of time outdoors has probably been the single best thing I've done for my health and glycemic control, because it has so much impact on the function of hormones and tissues.

Low thyroid function is the cause for low magnesium in the cell. Progesterone/Pregnenolone can help in this way, by allowing you to retain magnesium. But if you didn't eat a diet that suppressed your metabolism/thyroid, then you wouldn't need to take progesterone/pregnenolone in order to retain magnesium!

Brian

Derek said:
post 109447
Brian said:
post 109437
extremecheddar said:

Low thyroid function is the cause for low magnesium in the cell. Progesterone/Pregnenolone can help in this way, by allowing you to retain magnesium. But if you didn't eat a diet that suppressed your metabolism/thyroid, then you wouldn't need to take progesterone/pregnenolone in order to retain magnesium!

I agree completely with that, but sunlight is the major environmental stimulus that increases progesterone synthesis when thyroid is working. I get superior results from sunlight compared to pregnenolone supplements. Or at least they definitely don't make up for a dark day time environment.

I also agree that if for whatever reason PTH can't be lowered, through the usual means, you are better off on a low calcium diet at least temporarily with higher magnesium and zinc. This might even be necessary if magnesium is too low and tissue calcium is built up too high. This is usually how Dr. Garrett Smith addresses this in his practice.

Fructose and table sugar without protein and fats just made it worse. Potatoes and butter worked better than anything.

OP
E
jyb said:
extremecheddar said:

Niacinamide kills your blood fatty acids. So if you were already hungry hypoglycaemic, I imagine the energy deficiency and therefore stress will increase. There are some Peaty supplements that I enjoy, but niacinamide is not one of them (I experimented with it a lot in the past - I concluded that overall I should not use it). I see where Peat is coming from with niacinamide and in theory I can see why it would be useful in some situations, but I'm definitely not in one of those situations.

How many grams of carbs do you consume in a day, and what type?

tara

Derek said:
post 109399 If we conclude that he has insulin resistance and fatty liver, then eating simple sugars is not that good of an idea.
If we conclude that he has insulin resistance and fatty liver, then as I understand it, PUFAs may give short-term relief from hypoglycemia (at least in part by slowing metabolism and sugar oxidation) but is likely to worsen the insulin resistance and maybe the fatty liver.

Advising people to eat peanuts for the PUFA goes pretty directly against Peat's most central advice - he advises minimising PUFA and eating for a high metabolism.

There are only 2 situations I can think of where there might be a case for choosing to deliberately eat more PUFA: one is under famine conditions when there is not sufficient lower PUFA food available. The other is in the wake of transplant or implant surgery, where one needs the immune system to be suppressed to avoid it trying to kick out the new foreign bits.

OP
E
Not sure how accurate this is but apparently there is a form of reactive hypoglycemia that is caused by being "too insulin sensitive".

http://www.reactivehypoglycemia.info/20 ... fast-test/

"Reactive hypoglycemia is generally caused by a high sensitivity to insulin, while diabetes is caused by a low sensitivity to insulin. The hyperglucidic test can tell whether you have insulin sensitivity or insulin resistance, while a glucose tolerance test will only tell you that you have reactive hypoglycemia."

To determine this they do a Hyperglucidic Breakfast Test which is different than the 5 hour GTT.

OP
E
tara said:
post 109648
Derek said:
post 109399 If we conclude that he has insulin resistance and fatty liver, then eating simple sugars is not that good of an idea.
If we conclude that he has insulin resistance and fatty liver, then as I understand it, PUFAs may give short-term relief from hypoglycemia (at least in part by slowing metabolism and sugar oxidation) but is likely to worsen the insulin resistance and maybe the fatty liver.

Advising people to eat peanuts for the PUFA goes pretty directly against Peat's most central advice - he advises minimising PUFA and eating for a high metabolism.

There are only 2 situations I can think of where there might be a case for choosing to deliberately eat more PUFA: one is under famine conditions when there is not sufficient lower PUFA food available. The other is in the wake of transplant or implant surgery, where one needs the immune system to be suppressed to avoid it trying to kick out the new foreign bits.

I have had 3 ultrasounds of my liver, one was just the other day. No signs of Fatty liver.

D

Derek

tara said:
post 109648
Derek said:

I didn't say gorge on nuts and seeds and eat lots of PUFA fried foods. I said try a handful of almonds or peanuts. Ray has said to eat to increase the metabolic rate (temps & pulse) rather than eating any specific foods. For some people a peanut butter sandwich can increase the metabolic rate! Nuts also have vitamin E, which increases the metabolic rate!

I can't believe you think that eating a handful of peanuts or almonds is the same as IV PUFA given after organ transplant, to suppress the immune system. That seems like a bit of a stretch, Tara. The IV contains PUFA's in free form, not bound to anything, going straight into the bloodstream. Not really the same as eating peanuts.

tara

Derek said:
post 109694 I can't believe you think that eating a handful of peanuts or almonds is the same as IV PUFA given after organ transplant, to suppress the immune system. That seems like a bit of a stretch, Tara. The IV contains PUFA's in free form, not bound to anything, going straight into the bloodstream. Not really the same as eating peanuts.

I agree that a handful of nuts is not the same as IV PUFA. But wrt PUFA, one of the key differences may be in quantity. My point was not that it's identical, but that this is one of the very few situations where deliberately getting any PUFA at all may have a useful purpose (the other being when there is an ongoing food shortage).

Peat has pointed to PUFAs as implicated in a lot of degenerative conditions. General energy metabolism and difficulties with sugar metabolism are amongst them.
I think an ounce of peanuts would exceed the limit of daily PUFA that Peat has pointed to as protective against cancer etc, without taking into account all the other unavoidable PUFA in more nutritious foods. I don't know how much they supply for medical supression of immunity.
Some here are making a point of trying to deplete a lifetime's accumulation of PUFA.
There are vit-E supplements that can get you a lot more vit-E than that for a lot less PUFA.

I don't say no-one should ever eat any nuts if they love them, but I think actively encouraging it goes counter to Peat's advice and the science he points to.

If you haven't come across these ideas, then maybe read and listen to Peat a bit more. He has several aricles about fats on his website.

D

Derek

tara said:
post 109700
Derek said:
post 109694 I can't believe you think that eating a handful of peanuts or almonds is the same as IV PUFA given after organ transplant, to suppress the immune system. That seems like a bit of a stretch, Tara. The IV contains PUFA's in free form, not bound to anything, going straight into the bloodstream. Not really the same as eating peanuts.

I agree that a handful of nuts is not the same as IV PUFA. But wrt PUFA, one of the key differences may be in quantity. My point was not that it's identical, but that this is one of the very few situations where deliberately getting any PUFA at all may have a useful purpose (the other being when there is an ongoing food shortage).

Peat has pointed to PUFAs as implicated in a lot of degenerative conditions. General energy metabolism and difficulties with sugar metabolism are amongst them.
I think an ounce of peanuts would exceed the limit of daily PUFA that Peat has pointed to as protective against cancer etc, without taking into account all the other unavoidable PUFA in more nutritious foods. I don't know how much they supply for medical supression of immunity.
Some here are making a point of trying to deplete a lifetime's accumulation of PUFA.
There are vit-E supplements that can get you a lot more vit-E than that for a lot less PUFA.

I don't say no-one should ever eat any nuts if they love them, but I think actively encouraging it goes counter to Peat's advice and the science he points to.

If you haven't come across these ideas, then maybe read and listen to Peat a bit more. He has several aricles about fats on his website.

I have read Peat's articles, I guess I just interpret them differently than you do. I am not actively encouraging nuts or PUFA. That handful of peanuts or almonds recommendation was the first time on this site that I recommended someone try nuts. And that's because the "Peaty" things cheddar is/was trying aren't working for him!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals