What Has Been The Best Thing You Have Done For Your Health?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Dietary changes, supplement implementations, hormone modulations, sleep, drugs, fitness, lifestyle...you name it!!

For me, it has been mouth taping before bed. I never knew I was a mouth breather and this made such a huge difference in my energy levels/sleep quality.

M

member 2106

Dietary changes, supplement implementations, hormone modulations, sleep, drugs, fitness, lifestyle...you name it!!

For me, it has been mouth taping before bed. I never knew I was a mouth breather and this made such a huge difference in my energy levels/sleep quality.

Ditching the smartphone works wonders.

nbznj

Training less, introspection (using the enneagram), carbing up to 70% of my macros

Lizb

I tape my mouth at night too.

Also, the mouth is for eating, talking, laughing and the occasional yawn only. Daily life with the mouth closed. You can run a marathon with your mouth shut (needs training). The sprint at the end would maybe need the mouth open!

I heard about 18 months ago a Professor in the UK, who was responsible for monitoring the incidence of influenza that winter, say that the flu virus is killed in the nose. What I didn't understand was that she then didn't advise everyone to keep their mouth closed most of the time and concentrate on mouth breathing but wanted everyone to have a flu jab, even though she also said that only 12% of those tested for flu in hospital actually had it.

If you look around mouth breathing is very prevalent. I have very serious lung disease and haven't had a chest infection for well over a year. I also haven't had a cold for 3 years.

Keeping away from people works for me. Not only does that prevent infection both viral and bacterial but reduces stress. I do like people though but find keeping it to a reduced scale more manageable for me.

Being in sunlight on a pleasant day. I do lots of gardening now and adore being outside.

I incline my bed 6 inches - wouldn't go back as this helped my coughing, reflux, husband's reflux, and his bad dreams.

Walking in rhythm with my breathing. Never getting out of breath.

Keeping out of swimming pools, hot tubs, steam rooms, steam saunas. I use a dry sauna. (Air born bacteria and virus in moisture to be avoided).

I swim in the sea in warm weather. I always have a very strong desire to swim in the sea. I don't know what that is all about. The need for salt, the need to cool down, relaxation because of the bouyancy.....?

I don't drink alcohol at all. I wouldn't want to now. I never drank a lot but it doesn't feel pleasant now.

Titrating my medication - getting the balance that's right for me.

Hope....I have that.
Hebrews 11.1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Looking forward to reading all the posts on this thread.

Mine is related. Buteyko.

And now I’d say thyroid supplementation.

Goobz

For me, probably red light therapy / LLLT. Also, purely from the amount of people I know it's helped. I have a personal LLLT device with different settings for different parts of body, and the amount of friends and family members whose joints etc it's helped, is crazy.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have been considering this recently. What kind of tape do you use? Are those chin strap deals any good?

Inaut

I try taping my mouth closed but I think I subconsciously have a fear of choking, which causes me to imagine I’m choking in the middle of the night... Any suggestions as I thought apnea could be resolved by mouth taping..?

Edit: red light, MB, limonene and magnesium are my favourites

Last edited:

ExCarniv

For me was Magnesium supplement and Vitamin C.

Got rid of my chronic allergies, runny nose, itchy skin etc

Still way to go, I want to sleep 7-8 straight hours, considering mouth tapping.

powerlifter

@Lizb mine is elevated bed and mouth taping. I had Silent reflux and it was damaging my teeth and throat, now I do not feel pain in my throat anymore.

@Goobz I have LLLT device from life-giving store but It is really hard to notice if it works for me or not. How often you use it and which duration works best for you?

Lizb

I have been considering this recently. What kind of tape do you use? Are those chin strap deals any good?

Micropore tape.

Start with a small thin strip vertically and get used to it during the day (not in public you understand)!

Once you're used to it start with the same small strip at night. Put the tape on your skin first to get rid of excess stickiness. You should be able to open your mouth quite easily should you need to - gets rid of that fear factor.

You may find you take it off in the night but over time you'll get used to it and you'll be able to keep it on all night. I don't use it when I have a bad chest, but that hasn't happened for a long time.

If it bothers you on a particular night just take it off and try again another night.

You should find your lips are less dry in the winter too - a nice bonus.

I slightly tuck my lips in when applying the tape.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Micropore tape.

Start with a small thin strip vertically and get used to it during the day (not in public you understand)!

Once you're used to it start with the same small strip at night. Put the tape on your skin first to get rid of excess stickiness. You should be able to open your mouth quite easily should you need to - gets rid of that fear factor.

You may find you take it off in the night but over time you'll get used to it and you'll be able to keep it on all night. I don't use it when I have a bad chest, but that hasn't happened for a long time.

If it bothers you on a particular night just take it off and try again another night.

You should find your lips are less dry in the winter too - a nice bonus.

I slightly tuck my lips in when applying the tape.
Awesome, thank you! Will hit up the local pharmacy today and see if they have the micropore tape.

Last edited:

Runenight201

Finding Ray Peat -> breaking free of the ideological box that trapped me into what was healthy and what was not -> intuitive eating -> meditation.

aquaman

Best 2 thing.. walking in nature and going to bed early (at regular times) and waking up early

opethfeldt

Avoiding excessive ejaculation probably has the most dramatic effect on my health. No supplement or dietary change even comes close. Thinking back, all the best times of my life were times I had been celebate for a while. I recommend all males experiment with it.

Tenacity

Not being afraid of starch and getting plenty of carbs from potatoes.

Progesterone makes me physically more attractive and well-looking.

Cirion

It's hard to say just one thing, but one thing I'm becoming aware of is just how important sleep is. I had 12 hr of sleep last night and waking up today was gloriously easier than normal and my waking body temp/pulses were better to reflect it as well.

When I'm on vacation and can sleep as long as I darn well please, I always feel better for it. 8 hrs of sleep is an archaic notion and I'd argue NOT enough sleep for people recovering from hypo.

I was sleep deprived most of my younger years and am positive it was one of the big factors for my terrible health then.

Taotatoes

Finding Ray Peat -> breaking free of the ideological box that trapped me into what was healthy and what was not -> intuitive eating -> meditation.

This plus 1 hr of walking or biking in sunlight everyday and calisthenics/kettlebells > heavy strength training. But the intuitive eating was huge for me, as I've always felt/look best on easy to digest carbs, but used to believe it was "unhealthy" to eat almost entirely sugar so I'd pile on the starch/vegetables only to be left wondering why I felt so shite. With Peat my diet is 70% whole foods simple carb to appetite and then remaining protein/fat macros depend on that days cravings/digestion. Skin, sleep and overall mood have all improved and I only take a blended magnesium supplement these days while before my supplement routine was insane as my body tried to tell me things weren't okay.

T

TheBeard

Taking antibiotics this summer.

For 3 years I thought my issue was a lack of bacteria, so I munched on probiotics and performed home made fecal matter transplants.

Finally pulled the trigger on antibiotics after months of fear and pondering it: best decision in a while.
My weight is up, my muscles are getting fuller, I have a well formed bowel movement after every meal, no more diarrhea, clearer head, restful sleep.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals