What happens when you expose a generation of kids to high lead levels?

jyb

I guess that explains the popularity of the kitchen Activated charcoal jug filter. Heavy metals like lead and drug and hormone residues. Tragic it didn't seem as popular when I was a kid, the building I grew up in was known to have lead pipe and we bought water bottles when we bothered to go fetch them at the store, but I'm sure I drank a lot of tap too. I hope the coffee I'm drinking is doing a good job at removing all that stuff.

I read that some common charcoal jug brands might not eliminate lead enough, but I take that to mean that it could be done with a slightly more charcoal intensive jug. Apparently its useless for fluoride though, need to distill or reverse osmosis.

OP
S
I wouldn't drink tap water in the United States personally, well water for that matter. Well if you have a well then testing the water I guess could be considered a good investment. Just buy whatever water you know is clean, then at least you know carbon works for the plastic from the container...

tara

Interesting article, thanks.

pboy

such, whats the tap water like where you live...im not sure where you live, just curious. Ive read that in Netherlands they don't even chlorinate the water because they use clean soruces. Its a serious problem in America..i don't know how I survived gorwing up! minor filter on fridge was all I had, id cook in tap water, bathe in it and all....now I have filters on shower and sink and basically drink spring water or rarely filtered in some way water. The tap water here in America...like, 50% in the city I live in is recycled water that goes down peoples drains...and toilets. When I read that I was like...dude no way im drinking that, I don't care how much they say they filter it...no way. It has residues from medicnes, caffeine, and even toilet paper, condom, and tampon residues apparently...im sure its micro but still man...I dunno...how crazy are people. And they discourage people from catching rain water...like everything you'll read is that its toxic because of the air pollutants, which is probably a bit true...but id venture to say the tap water is inherently more toxic due to chlorine alone, then add fluoride and whatever else. I mean im suer the body just like...for the most part, kidneys detox it pretty fast and easy, the chlorine seems like a b igger problem to me than any thing cause it crosses barriers easy, but still...on principle alone, it just seems to gross to me..drinking recycled waste water

if the romans thousands of years ago could have 50-100 gallons of fresh water for each citizen per day...how come we cant today?

jyb

pboy said:
if the romans thousands of years ago could have 50-100 gallons of fresh water for each citizen per day...how come we cant today?

They didn't flush estrogenic drugs down the drain. They didn't fluoridate it either. But now you also have to take into account this and the fact the population is much greater in size (or least, that demand for water is much greater - see the problematic water use by agriculture in California in these times of drought).

OP
S
pboy said:
such, whats the tap water like where you live...im not sure where you live, just curious. Ive read that in Netherlands they don't even chlorinate the water because they use clean soruces. Its a serious problem in America..i don't know how I survived gorwing up! minor filter on fridge was all I had, id cook in tap water, bathe in it and all....now I have filters on shower and sink and basically drink spring water or rarely filtered in some way water. The tap water here in America...like, 50% in the city I live in is recycled water that goes down peoples drains...and toilets. When I read that I was like...dude no way im drinking that, I don't care how much they say they filter it...no way. It has residues from medicnes, caffeine, and even toilet paper, condom, and tampon residues apparently...im sure its micro but still man...I dunno...how crazy are people. And they discourage people from catching rain water...like everything you'll read is that its toxic because of the air pollutants, which is probably a bit true...but id venture to say the tap water is inherently more toxic due to chlorine alone, then add fluoride and whatever else. I mean im suer the body just like...for the most part, kidneys detox it pretty fast and easy, the chlorine seems like a b igger problem to me than any thing cause it crosses barriers easy, but still...on principle alone, it just seems to gross to me..drinking recycled waste water

I'm in Italy, technically it should come from the aquifer, the chlorine fluorine thing hasn't reached Europe yet I don't think. When I was outside Detroit there was this superfund site two miles north of the house, and the only reason they started it was because the farmers died after drinking their well water. I also got to see the wastewater treatment plant, there's only so much that they can do. I mean I don't know how well chlorine can destroy hormones and drugs and stuff.