What Happens When A Type Two Diabetic Follows Peat Ideas And Eats A Lot Of Sugar

How does one safely lose body fat ? Wouldn't that increase free fatty acids more in the serum and cause more problems ?

Would you have any information how they can do this safely?

Thank You

Let's look at a Peat paragraph on the subject:

"My recommendation is to eat to increase the metabolic rate (usually temperature and heart rate), rather than any particular foods. Usually the increased metabolic rate, with adequate protein, causes some muscle increase, and when that happens the basic calorie requirement will increase. The increase of muscle mass should continue for several weeks, and during that time the weight might increase a little, but usually the loss of water and fat will compensate for the greater muscle mass. I have heard from several people that they think I recommend drinking whole milk, which I don’t, because the amount of fat in whole milk is very likely to be fattening when a person is using it to get the needed protein and calcium. When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, orange juice, and a daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories.”-RP

I agree with him about keeping saturated fat low and overall calories low, "excess calories." I think when he said "rather than any particular foods" that it's a little weird because I think specificity is key. Yes it will increase FFA. But something has to happen. You have to do something. Your body fat will continue to sit there unless you force your body to use it for energy. That's what it is, stored energy. There will be times when it doesn't feel good. But you have to pay for all of the poor decisions you've made in the past. That stomach growling feeling is uncomfortable but it works for fat loss. No, I don't believe that it will "slow the metabolism." As long as you're getting the essential nutrients, like Peat said in that quote above, it's fine. Again, you have to tap into those fat stores to actually get rid of them.

The problem with gaining fat is that is distributes everywhere differently for people. It's a gamble on where it will be stored; your belly, your chest (the 2nd type of gyno, chest fat), your neck, or your butt and thighs, more so thighs than butt. And the sexes store it differently mostly in that males have the bulging gut and females have the thighs and upper arms. People who've been lean their whole life have no perspective or understanding of what it's actually like to not just gain "weight," but gain fat on their body. I know because I was one of them. Gaining too much fat on your body can lead to blood sugar problems, hormonal problems because adipose tissue acts like its own organ and produces it's own hormones, and social problems.

I'm not anti dietary fat. I'm anti too much dietary fat. People hear that butter and cheese are healthy and they go and eat gobs of butter and tons of cheese and drink whole milk daily and they wonder why they are getting fat, got fat and aren't losing fat. Similarly, vegans eat their nut butters, tahini and avocados and the same happens with them, they get fat. Even non vegans who eat lots of peanut butter get fat.

I don't believe the hype about low fat and testosterone. Testosterone is made from cholesterol and cholesterol is still made by the liver on a low fat diet. I noticed that light from the sun or the lights used by most people here makes me feel like my testosterone goes up a lot. To me, testosterone has more to do with light on the skin, lifting some amount of weights to build some amount of muscle and keep in the more muscular state than the fat state, eating high carb low fat which for me is mostly boiled starch, sleeping enough and not jerking off too much and having a partner you're actually very attracted to.

Where does your 10% figure come from?

Research on type two diabetes.

Think of it like an alcoholic or heroin junkie going through withdrawal. It's bad but if you can get through to the other side then you're free. When you lose excess body fat, it's hard but when it's over you never have to do it again, that is, as long as you never get fat again.

T

tca300

@Westside PUFAs I think hit the nail on the head. If my opinion means anything, I can lose fat very easily and have been, since lowering my fat ( even hydrogenated coconut oil ) and I dont feel hungry, ever, like I use too. Also, my libido, erection quality, and assertiveness have all dramatically increased/improved since cutting out excess fat. So I seriously doubt it decreases Testosterone noticeably.

tara

Type two diabetics have to lose body fat.
Type 2 diabetics, just like all of us with our own states, get to make their own decisions - they don't 'have to' do any thing.
But apart from that, I know type 2 diabetics who are extremely lean with little or no fat to spare and I worry that they might keep losing more.

tara

If she takes insulin then she's not type 2. If she really is a true type 2 then she's in the extremely rare 10%.
Diabetes is very common. 10% of very common is not extremely rare in any normal definition of rare.

Tenacity

Type 2 diabetics, just like all of us with our own states, get to make their own decisions - they don't 'have to' do any thing.

I think the implication was that @Westside PUFAs is of the opinion that type 2 diabetics would recover faster if they were leaner, not that he was prescribing fat loss as a moral command. "Type two diabetics have to lose body fat."... if they want to recover.

Tarmander

"My recommendation is to eat to increase the metabolic rate (usually temperature and heart rate), rather than any particular foods. Usually the increased metabolic rate, with adequate protein, causes some muscle increase, and when that happens the basic calorie requirement will increase. The increase of muscle mass should continue for several weeks, and during that time the weight might increase a little, but usually the loss of water and fat will compensate for the greater muscle mass. I have heard from several people that they think I recommend drinking whole milk, which I don’t, because the amount of fat in whole milk is very likely to be fattening when a person is using it to get the needed protein and calcium. When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, orange juice, and a daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories.”-RP

I agree with him about keeping saturated fat low and overall calories low, "excess calories." I think when he said "rather than any particular foods" that it's a little weird because I think specificity is key. Yes it will increase FFA. But something has to happen. You have to do something. Your body fat will continue to sit there unless you force your body to use it for energy. That's what it is, stored energy. There will be times when it doesn't feel good. But you have to pay for all of the poor decisions you've made in the past. That stomach growling feeling is uncomfortable but it works for fat loss. No, I don't believe that it will "slow the metabolism." As long as you're getting the essential nutrients, like Peat said in that quote above, it's fine. Again, you have to tap into those fat stores to actually get rid of them.

The problem with gaining fat is that is distributes everywhere differently for people. It's a gamble on where it will be stored; your belly, your chest (the 2nd type of gyno, chest fat), your neck, or your butt and thighs, more so thighs than butt. And the sexes store it differently mostly in that males have the bulging gut and females have the thighs and upper arms. People who've been lean their whole life have no perspective or understanding of what it's actually like to not just gain "weight," but gain fat on their body. I know because I was one of them. Gaining too much fat on your body can lead to blood sugar problems, hormonal problems because adipose tissue acts like its own organ and produces it's own hormones, and social problems.

I'm not anti dietary fat. I'm anti too much dietary fat. People hear that butter and cheese are healthy and they go and eat gobs of butter and tons of cheese and drink whole milk daily and they wonder why they are getting fat, got fat and aren't losing fat. Similarly, vegans eat their nut butters, tahini and avocados and the same happens with them, they get fat. Even non vegans who eat lots of peanut butter get fat.

I don't believe the hype about low fat and testosterone. Testosterone is made from cholesterol and cholesterol is still made by the liver on a low fat diet. I noticed that light from the sun or the lights used by most people here makes me feel like my testosterone goes up a lot. To me, testosterone has more to do with light on the skin, lifting some amount of weights to build some amount of muscle and keep in the more muscular state than the fat state, eating high carb low fat which for me is mostly boiled starch, sleeping enough and not jerking off too much and having a partner you're actually very attracted to.

Pretty interesting write up, thank you.

I'm curious how you would look at liposuction. From my understanding it does not reduce insulin resistance or improve metabolic markers, yet you are losing fat obviously. I always thought that was a good explanation for why fat was not the entire picture. I'd be curious what your take on it is.

OP
ecstatichamster

I'm curious how you would look at liposuction. From my understanding it does not reduce insulin resistance or improve metabolic markers, yet you are losing fat obviously. I always thought that was a good explanation for why fat was not the entire picture. I'd be curious what your take on it is.

Weirdly, I asked Ray something similar. About gastric bypass. About why gastric bypass surgery seems to favorably impact so many metabolic markers.

All he wrote was:

Weight reduction causes shifts in hormone balance.

I don't believe this is anywhere near the whole picture.

I think liposuction it a waste of money and time. It can probably cause side effect damage. I don't know if liposuction just empties of the fat cells fat content or if it actually destroys the fat cells themselves so that fat can never be stored there again but either way I still think it's dumb. It doesn't solve the persons underlying problem of eating too much of the foods that cause fat tissue gain too often. There are shots that people get injected into their throat to do just that, to literally destroy the fat cells under their chin so they can get rid of their "turkey neck:"

belkyra-in-kelowna-treatment-dermmedica.jpg

Although we make our own deoxycholic acid in bile, I don't know that it's good to inject it into your throat.

This excerpt explains fat cells well:

"When you "lose" body fat, the fat cell (also called an adipocyte) does not go anywhere or "move into the muscle cell to be burned. The fat cell itself, (unfortunately) stays right where it was - under the skin in your thighs, stomach, hips, arms, etc., and on top of the muscles - which is why you can't see muscle "definition" when your body fat is high.

Fat is stored inside the fat cell in the form of triaglycerol. The fat is not burned right there in the fat cell, it must be liberated from the fat cell through somewhat complex hormonal/enzymatic pathways. When stimulated to do so, the fat cell simply releases its contents (triaglycerol) into the bloodstream as free fatty acids (FFA's), and they are transported through the blood to the tissues where the energy is needed.

A typical young male adult stores about 60,000 to 100,000 calories of energy in body fat cells. What triggers the release of all these stored fatty acids from the fat cell? Simple: When your body needs energy because you're consuming fewer calories than you are burning (an energy deficit), then your body releases hormones and enzymes that signal your fat cells to release your fat reserves instead of keeping them in storage.

For stored fat to be liberated from the fat cell, hydrolysis (lipolysis or fat breakdown), splits the molecule of triaglycerol into glycerol and three fatty acids. An important enzyme called hormone sensitive lipase (HSL)is the catalyst for this reaction. The stored fat (energy) gets released into the bloodstream as FFA's and they are shuttled off to the muscles where the energy is needed. As blood flow increases to the active muscles, more FFA's are delivered to the muscles that need them.

An important enzyme called lipoprotein lipase (LPL), then helps the FFA's get inside the mitochondria of the muscle cell, where the FFA's can be burned for energy. If you've ever taken a biology class, then you've probably heard of the mitochondria. This is the "cellular powerhouse" where energy production takes place and this is where the FFA's go to be burned for energy.

When the FFA's are released from the fat cell, the fat cell shrinks and that's why you look leaner when you lose body fat - because the fat cell is now smaller. A small or "empty" fat cell is what you're after if you want the lean, defined look.

It was once believed that the number of fat cells could not increase after adulthood, only the size of the fat cells could increase (or decrease). We now know that fat cells can indeed increase both in size (hypertrophy) and in number (hyperplasia) and that they are more likely to increase in number at certain times and under certain circumstances, such as 1) during late childhood and early puberty, 2) During pregnancy, and 3) During adulthood when extreme amounts of weight are gained

Some people are genetically predisposed to have more fat cells than others and women have more fat cells than men. An infant usually has about 5 - 6 billion fat cells. This number increases during early childhood and puberty, and a healthy adult with normal body composition has about 25 to 30 billion fat cells. A typical overweight adult has around 75 billion fat cells. But in the case of severe obesity, this number can be as high as 250 to 300 billion!

The average size (weight) of an adult fat cell is about 0.6 micrograms, but they can vary in size from 0.2 micograms to 0.9 micrograms. An overweight person's fat cells can be up to three times larger than a person with ideal body composition.

Remember, body fat is basically just a reserve source of energy and fat cells are the like the storage tanks. Unlike a gas tank in your car which is fixed in size, however, fat cells can expand or shrink in size depending on how "filled" they are.

Picture a balloon that is not inflated: It's tiny when not filled with air - maybe the size of your thumb. When you blow it up with air, it can expand 10 or 12 times it's normal size, because it simply fills up. That's what happens to fat cells: They start as nearly empty fat storage "tanks" (when you are lean), and when energy intake exceeds your needs, your fat cells "fill up" and "stretch out" like balloons filling up with jelly (not a pretty picture, is it?)

So you don't actually "lose" fat cells, you "shrink" or "empty out" fat cells."

Peater Piper

Weirdly, I asked Ray something similar. About gastric bypass. About why gastric bypass surgery seems to favorably impact so many metabolic markers.
Gastric bypass almost immediately improves beta cell function and insulin sensitivity, well before weight loss becomes significant. Why that happens is still being studied.

paymanz

type2 diabetes causing fat gain probably is depend on if their adipocytes are sensitive to insulin or not.

A.R

This is fantastic information, thankyou.

Since you already have experience losing excess fat, which particular peat supplement/s and exercise routine/s played a big part on your journey would you say?

Of course I understand diet is first and foremost most important.

J

James IV

@Westside PUFAs
Where are you at on meal timing in relation to circadian rhythm? Do you do frequent smaller meals, or infrequent larger meals? Any type of macro timing/cycling? Thanks.

Mito

Fat is stored inside the fat cell in the form of triaglycerol. The fat is not burned right there in the fat cell, it must be liberated from the fat cell through somewhat complex hormonal/enzymatic pathways. When stimulated to do so, the fat cell simply releases its contents (triaglycerol) into the bloodstream as free fatty acids (FFA's), and they are transported through the blood to the tissues where the energy is needed.

For stored fat to be liberated from the fat cell, hydrolysis (lipolysis or fat breakdown), splits the molecule of triaglycerol into glycerol and three fatty acids.
Are the triaglycerols stored inside the adipocytes the same as the triglycerides in the blood (except that they've moved from the bloodstream into the fat cell)? Do triglycerides in the blood have any correlation with FFA's in the bloodstream?

@Westside PUFAs
Where are you at on meal timing in relation to circadian rhythm? Do you do frequent smaller meals, or infrequent larger meals? Any type of macro timing/cycling? Thanks.

Circadian rhythm is very important. I always thought I was a night owl until I figured out how to regulate my circadian rhythm three years ago. I finally became a morning person and it was life changing. The details are too much to type right now but I think everyone should become a morning person. I found that waking up too early, even if I've spelt enough, waking up before sunrise actually makes me feel weird for the rest of the day. Conversely, waking up too late feels just as depressing. There is a sweet spot. Waking up with the sun and doing so when you've slept anywhere from 6 to 10 hours. I find it to be 6.5 minimum and I usually can't sleep past 8 or 9 hours. I don't believe there is such a thing as sleeping too much. As far as meals and timing, I've found that it's not important for my sleep. As long as I ate enough of the essentials for the day then everything seems fine. I like to fast sometimes. I eat starched base, high carb, moderate protein and low fat. But low fat does not mean no fat. It just means overall low. I like to have my fat all by itself and let it go into the GI and bloodstream and do its thing on its own. I don't feel like it mixes with glucose well. I'm open to the idea of doing different experiments with the macros. Maybe a "butter therapy" day which would be a high butter low carb day every couple of months or something. Why can't we view certain foods as therapeutic or medicinal ? Why do we always view them as just food and just a daily regimen? I think we can think of certain foodstuffs as therapeutic occasional tools when used in certain ways.

Are the triaglycerols stored inside the adipocytes the same as the triglycerides in the blood (except that they've moved from the bloodstream into the fat cell)? Do triglycerides in the blood have any correlation with FFA's in the bloodstream?

Good question. Calling @tyw

Last edited:
J

James IV

Circadian rhythm is very important. I always thought I was a night owl until I figured out how to regulate my circadian rhythm three years ago. I finally became a morning person and it was life changing. The details are too much to type right now but I think everyone should become a morning person. I found that waking up too early, even if I've spelt enough, waking up before sunrise actually makes me feel weird for the rest of the day. Conversely, waking up too late feels just as depressing. There is a sweet spot. Waking up with the sun and doing so when you've slept anywhere from 6 to 10 hours. I find it to be 6.5 minimum and I usually can't sleep past 8 or 9 hours. I don't believe there is such a thing as sleeping too much. As far as meals and timing, I've found that it's not important for my sleep. As long as I ate enough of the essentials for the day then everything seems fine. I like to fast sometimes. I eat starched base, high carb, moderate protein and low fat. But low fat does not mean no fat. It just means overall low. I like to have my fat all by itself and let it go into the GI and bloodstream and do its thing on its own. I don't feel like it mixes with glucose well. I'm open to the idea of doing different experiments with the macros. Maybe a "butter therapy" day which would be a high butter low carb day every couple of months or something. Why can't we view certain foods as therapeutic or medicinal ? Why do we always view them as just food and just a daily regimen? I think we can think of certain foodstuffs as therapeutic occasional tools.

Good question. Calling @tyw

im totally with you on the importance of circadian rhythms. I have the same experience with waking times affecting my day.

My biggest problem when going low in fat is sleep. Low fat, high carb meals give me tons of energy, and I can't go to sleep unless I go running or something. Any experience with this?

im totally with you on the importance of circadian rhythms. I have the same experience with waking times affecting my day.

My biggest problem when going low in fat is sleep. Low fat, high carb meals give me tons of energy, and I can't go to sleep unless I go running or something. Any experience with this?

Maybe have it earlier in the day. If you don't have enough energy from HFLC then you have to tweak it.