What Happens On An All Meat Diet?

sebastian_r

They’re basically starches I’d consider Peatish (as long as the whitebread didn’t have PUFA). Do you eat them with the animal products or do you seperate them?

So did you try the fruit by itself or was it in combination?
I eat rice / potatoes / bread during the day. Gives me great energy and focus.
The meat I eat before I go to bed, around 500g beef / lamb cooked with tallow.
Tested fruits solo and in combination.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kratos

u go bald

That's why I made this topic. I go bald drinking orange juice and milk. I can't handle fruit, most vegetables and spices and only feel good after eating meat. Potatoes rice and rice mess me up good but I can handle wheat fine. Everybody is different and while I believe Ray knows what he's talking about with all food and substance functions that go into the body not everybody will feel good while following the recommendations he's said. Some people need meat to feel well and some people can look like a body builder eating nothing but rice, beans and vegetables.

CatCat

That’s an interesting journey CatCat. So you went from raw vegan to keto to carnivore?

It sounds like you were suffering from stress.

As I wade through this carnivore stuff, I’m fascinated by the emphasis on fish and fish eggs for omega 3. It seems they’re totally against the omega 6 oils but still caught up in the EFA hype.

It seems grass fed ruminant animals are preferred but I’ve seen an awful lot of pics of deep fried chicken, pork chops and bacon.

How are you going incorporating carbs back into your diet?
Hi Glassy
You're right I easily get stressed. Most people on carnivore diet do not care about the quality of the meat. It seems to work even if you eat meat at mc donalds regularly. The thing is to eat enough. The average is 2 pounds per day to me it's quite an expensive diet. So generally people tell you to simply eat the meat you can afford and do not bother if it is grass fed or not.
In case you don't have enough energy they generally recommend to eat more.
Generally if you want to eat eggs you have to eat a lot of eggs to fulfil your needs because it does not provide enough nutrients as meat.
Some people cannot do dairy as it can be allergenic or because it have more carbs than meat.
Some veterans seem to thrive on this diet for they are on it 10 years or more.
I have started to eat white rice again trying to heal an acute gastroenteritis. And it worked. I noticed that during these days with white rice my allergies have disappeared. So I googled and stumbled across Ray Peat articles. After some weeks reading I decided to stop the carnivore diet.
Now I can drink coffee again with milk and lot of sugar. It's like a medicine too me. I'm amazed to not have to live with the allergies no more and the icing on the cake is that I can have a good night sleep again

Welcome @CatCat

If folks here believe the science that Ray Peat talks about, I don't see how they can eat an all-meat diet.

Cortisol has to be high. Otherwise your blood sugar would be too low. I don't see how "being calm" is any indication of health here because cortisol is calming.

I do think sometimes people can do really well with a change in their diet if they are suffering. And maybe going to all-meat might be helpful temporarily. But I wouldn't stay on it very long.

That's why I made this topic. I go bald drinking orange juice and milk. I can't handle fruit, most vegetables and spices and only feel good after eating meat. Potatoes rice and rice mess me up good but I can handle wheat fine. Everybody is different and while I believe Ray knows what he's talking about with all food and substance functions that go into the body not everybody will feel good while following the recommendations he's said. Some people need meat to feel well and some people can look like a body builder eating nothing but rice, beans and vegetables.

yeah but from my understanding meat is a ton of phosphate, and that phosphate slowly messes up the calcium metabolism. i feel like that is why vegans tend to not go bald, because they are really low phosphate from not eating any meat.

however, i've read on this forum that what's more important than the phosphate you are eating is the ratio of calcium to phosphate.

Bogdar

Hi Glassy
You're right I easily get stressed. Most people on carnivore diet do not care about the quality of the meat. It seems to work even if you eat meat at mc donalds regularly. The thing is to eat enough. The average is 2 pounds per day to me it's quite an expensive diet. So generally people tell you to simply eat the meat you can afford and do not bother if it is grass fed or not.
In case you don't have enough energy they generally recommend to eat more.
Generally if you want to eat eggs you have to eat a lot of eggs to fulfil your needs because it does not provide enough nutrients as meat.
Some people cannot do dairy as it can be allergenic or because it have more carbs than meat.
Some veterans seem to thrive on this diet for they are on it 10 years or more.
I have started to eat white rice again trying to heal an acute gastroenteritis. And it worked. I noticed that during these days with white rice my allergies have disappeared. So I googled and stumbled across Ray Peat articles. After some weeks reading I decided to stop the carnivore diet.
Now I can drink coffee again with milk and lot of sugar. It's like a medicine too me. I'm amazed to not have to live with the allergies no more and the icing on the cake is that I can have a good night sleep again

I'm very skeptical about quality of meat tho. Even if it works for some people I won't advice to eat whatever meat comes to you. I'm personaly very meticulous about the quality of my food and everything is local and grass fed, and it works for me.
It's nice you came to a diet that better fits you. However 2 pounds of meat a day ?? It's quite a lot ! I know some big men do even more than 2 pounds a day, and I have actually tried this for few weeks (1kg meat a day) and without noticing it I was eating more protein-to-fat ratio. I ended up with something that looked like gastroenteritis, intense abdominal pain with diarrhea. After a week I found out that it was just about not enough fat to protein.
I wonder if it could apply to you with 2 pounds of meat a day ? I think it is well known about meat-only-eaters and it is called rabbit starvation.

sebastian_r

You could try cutting out the fruits / orange juice and see if that helps.
When I drink orange juice or eat other fruits I get dry scalp skin and hair loss very fast.
On meat and starch+fat I have no hair loss issues.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kratos

You could try cutting out the fruits / orange juice and see if that helps.
When I drink orange juice or eat other fruits I get dry scalp skin and hair loss very fast.
On meat and starch+fat I have no hair loss issues.

yes it definitely has to do with issues in our gut. if i eat a lot of sugar i get itchy and i see more gaps in the hair. its probably a yeast problem.

Glassy

I’ve been on it for 5 days now. I’ve spent 12 hours in excruciating pain which I’ve figured out is gall stones. Going from a diet which is high in carbs and pretty low in fat to the opposite has brought this to the surface I think. The pain was intolerable and I was close to going to hospital except that it was NYE and that’s not a good day to go to hospital. I also didn’t want to lose my gall bladder.

The biggest benefit I see people getting from this diet is a total abstinence of irritating plant fibre and of course PUFA. This seems to quickly alleviate inflammation and conditions caused by inflammation especially for folks coming from SAD or low carb diets. People attribute it to the healing power of meat but I’d say a lot of the benefit is coming from what they’re not eating.

There are folks who buy stacks of Wendy’s burger patty’s, deep fried chicken wings, etc and then others who maintain the beef (grass fed) and water stance. Liver is widely revered as a concentrated nutrient source and organ meat in general is looked on favourably.

CatCat

I'm very skeptical about quality of meat tho. Even if it works for some people I won't advice to eat whatever meat comes to you. I'm personaly very meticulous about the quality of my food and everything is local and grass fed, and it works for me.
It's nice you came to a diet that better fits you. However 2 pounds of meat a day ?? It's quite a lot ! I know some big men do even more than 2 pounds a day, and I have actually tried this for few weeks (1kg meat a day) and without noticing it I was eating more protein-to-fat ratio. I ended up with something that looked like gastroenteritis, intense abdominal pain with diarrhea. After a week I found out that it was just about not enough fat to protein.
I wonder if it could apply to you with 2 pounds of meat a day ? I think it is well known about meat-only-eaters and it is called rabbit starvation.

Most people on carnivore diet will tell you not care about the fat ratio. It depends on how you feel. There is no ratio to follow, nothing complicated as the keto diet. Just meat and water. Add some dairy if you can digest it and butter or lard if you feel it can help.
I was feeling fine for a while eating like this and my mind was clear. I used to eat bacon and rib rye steak so I guessed my fat intake was sufficient. The problem was in the long run my digestive system became very sensitive to any spice, tea, coffee and dairy.

CatCat

I’ve been on it for 5 days now. I’ve spent 12 hours in excruciating pain which I’ve figured out is gall stones. Going from a diet which is high in carbs and pretty low in fat to the opposite has brought this to the surface I think. The pain was intolerable and I was close to going to hospital except that it was NYE and that’s not a good day to go to hospital. I also didn’t want to lose my gall bladder.

The biggest benefit I see people getting from this diet is a total abstinence of irritating plant fibre and of course PUFA. This seems to quickly alleviate inflammation and conditions caused by inflammation especially for folks coming from SAD or low carb diets. People attribute it to the healing power of meat but I’d say a lot of the benefit is coming from what they’re not eating.

There are folks who buy stacks of Wendy’s burger patty’s, deep fried chicken wings, etc and then others who maintain the beef (grass fed) and water stance. Liver is widely revered as a concentrated nutrient source and organ meat in general is looked on favourably.

You can be relieved by removing or reducing all high oxalates plants (spinach potatoes sweet potatoes beets chocolate ...) for a while. Have some vitamin K2 to avoid calcium to be fixed on software

JustAGuy

Most people on carnivore diet will tell you not care about the fat ratio. It depends on how you feel. There is no ratio to follow, nothing complicated as the keto diet. Just meat and water. Add some dairy if you can digest it and butter or lard if you feel it can help.
I was feeling fine for a while eating like this and my mind was clear. I used to eat bacon and rib rye steak so I guessed my fat intake was sufficient. The problem was in the long run my digestive system became very sensitive to any spice, tea, coffee and dairy.
I don’t think an increased sensitivity like that means a declining health status though? How were you feeling besides that? Energy/sleep/mood?

CatCat

I don’t think an increased sensitivity like that means a declining health status though? How were you feeling besides that? Energy/sleep/mood?

I developed a kind of allergy with symptoms like permanent runny nose watery eyes and nasal congestion for a couple of days.
What bothered me is that I also had repetitive gastroenteritis crisis. So I could not absorb enough nutrients to feel fine anymore. I was exhausted and could not eat enough.

Atman

It's a new trend diet which gets many things right compared to any fad diet before:

-focus on high nutrient dense foods (eggs, muscle meat, organ meats, shellfish, dairy)
-avoidance of high PUFA oils
-avoidance of irritant plant foods and antinutrients

But it has some ridiculous tenets held by a majority of its proponents:

-Sugar is evil and causes many ailments
-Plants in general should be avoided

I guess it always has to be extreme to be exciting enough for people.
Why should sugar be toxic and be avoided? Ripe fruit tastes awesome. Why has our sense of taste evolved to be highly sensitive to sugars if its detrimental to our health? It doesn't make any sense.

To be fair, some popular proponents consume honey and lots of milk, which makes it moderate or low carb at least.
Sv3rige for example drinks 1 liter of milk a day. This is not low or no carb. Also very fresh liver and muscle contains sugar/glycogen.

Eventually all inteligent people will come to their senses and realize that it's most beneficial to take the best of both worlds, or even combine them in homemade icecream for example.:cool:

bboone

you aren't going bald drinking orange juice.. just forget it, honestly. there is no mechanism that would entail this. now, i know a lot of people are paranoid about milk, but i seriously doubt it could have this effect. you probably read somewhere that "milk makes you bald m8 better stop swiggin ; )" and now you have convinced yourself that every drop of milk takes a mm away from your hairline.

also lol, i seriously hope nobody on this forum is considering doing a carnivore diet. if you do it and you feel better on it, i can pretty much guarantee you that carbs weren't the problem in the first place but that you eliminated some other factor causing whatever you perceived to be ailing you. start from a peaty peaty type of diet and try eliminating one staple item at a time, then adding them back again, making note of any changes. an all-meat diet will never be optimal and will have severe hormonal consequences, literally regardless of who you are. that said, you can get away with it short-term and probably feel good, but over the long term there's just no way that it won't wreck you

Richiebogie

you aren't going bald drinking orange juice.. just forget it, honestly. there is no mechanism that would entail this. now, i know a lot of people are paranoid about milk, but i seriously doubt it could have this effect.
Both oranges and milk give me an odd dandruff coming out the ears!

They are both high in calcium and low in magnesium so maybe they both lead to calcification in the soft tissues in the absence of other foods to balance this...?

Kartoffel

Both oranges and milk give me an odd dandruff coming out the ears!

They are both high in calcium and low in magnesium so maybe they both lead to calcification in the soft tissues in the absence of other foods to balance this...?

Oranges are high in calcium and low in magnesium? All the sources I have seen say that the Ca:Mg ratio is about 1:1. You might have looked at fortified orange juice. For milk the ratio is greater than 10:1.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kratos

i remove orange juice and milk and the scalp pain stops.

another question, what fish are safe to eat in large amounts?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals