What happened to me after eating July 4th foods?

Peata

Anyone else who celebrated July 4, with foods they don't normally eat on Peat, feel like utter crap today?

I had foods I normally don't eat and many times higher PUFA than normal because it's a special occasion. Over the course of the day (2 cookouts), I had 2 hotdogs on buns, pasta salad, baked beans, 2 ears corn (with margarine -no butter or coconut oil available), and more things I don't normally eat, interspersed with things I do, such as coffee, sugar, salt, gelatin, saturated fats, fruit, ice cream, a little soda, etc.

Yesterday I had three out of the ordinary brain moments, sort of surreal things that were unsettling. Overall my mood the whole day was positive and cheerful, out-going.

I didn't sleep particularly well, but that may have been because I wasn't in my own bed. I woke up this morning feeling so weird/bad, and it persisted for about 10 hours.

I felt like real carp. A "drugged" sleepy feeling...feeling like I'm heavy as lead and could sink into the floor...lethargy... mild depression and anxiety...aches...brain fog...little appetite...

What in the world? Is it a reaction to those foods affecting seratonin, PUFAs, or what else? Is it related to being pre-menstrual?

Anyone care to help me figure it out? It might help others too who are going through similar things.

Also, maybe there's something I can take next holiday for a preventative to help lessen the negative effect of those occasional foods.

4peatssake

I have had similar experiences when I've gone off diet.
It's as though the result of taking good care of myself now and eating a high energy diet means eating foods that are high in PUFAs, contain allergens and/or release stress hormones is not something I can play too much with anymore.

The fallout from poor food choices has become disastrous for me, especially after eating so pure for many weeks. A few weeks ago, I spent a weekend at a soccer tournament with my daughter and ate out twice. It took me quite awhile to fully recover from this.

That being said, I think if I were healthier, going off like that would not cause that much upset. But for now, until I my body is healed and my metabolism is restored to optimum, it feels important and necessary for me to be very careful with my diet.

OP
Peata

Peata

4peatssake said:
I have had similar experiences when I've gone off diet.
It's as though the result of taking good care of myself now and eating a high energy diet means eating foods that are high in PUFAs, contain allergens and/or release stress hormones is not something I can play too much with anymore.

The fallout from poor food choices has become disastrous for me, especially after eating so pure for many weeks. A few weeks ago, I spent a weekend at a soccer tournament with my daughter and ate out twice. It took me quite awhile to fully recover from this.

That being said, I think if I were healthier, going off like that would not cause that much upset. But for now, until I my body is healed and my metabolism is restored to optimum, it feels important and necessary for me to be very careful with my diet.

Thanks, 4PS. Good to know I'm not the only one to experience such things, though I feel bad for anyone who does.

I also get this feeling that like you said, taking care of myself and eating Peatish is making me kinda sensitive to foods that are nonPeat, causing me to have reactions that I didn't (or didn't notice occurring) in the past.

It's possible I'm in for a world of trouble tomorrow because I'm going with family and friends to eat out somewhere and then to an NLB game. I consider it worth it, same as I did for the 4th festivities, because this is special occasion stuff, and I'm usually on my Peatish woe otherwise.

I'll try to be as Peaty as possible, but anything I should do to supplement to try to lessen the impact? Because there's yet another day of unusual eating coming up Sunday.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

4peatssake

Peata said:
I also get this feeling that like you said, taking care of myself and eating Peatish is making me kinda sensitive to foods that are nonPeat, causing me to have reactions that I didn't (or didn't notice occurring) in the past.
This is purely anecdotal and based on my observations and experience, but I think it's more about not noticing than not having reactions for me. And that the damage is cumulative and so I'm at a point now where making a poor choice causes me more trouble than in the past.

I've gone more than a half century with undiagnosed hypothyroidism and in the last two decades vacillated between low carb and raw vegan so lots of damage from all that as well!

Peata said:
I'll try to be as Peaty as possible, but anything I should do to supplement to try to lessen the impact? Because there's yet another day of unusual eating coming up Sunday.
Go have fun and focus on family and friends and not food. I'd eat a good meal before I went and then make the best possible choice without stressing over it. The fun and laughter will mitigate a lot!! I'll often order chocolate milk when I'm out because it fills me up. Steak works for me if I'm going out to eat and I'll drink coffee and slip in my own gelatin when no one's lookin! ;)

You were punished by supernatural forces for celebrating American independence.

It's the reign of Dajjal.

OP
Peata

Peata

Good advice, P4S. I'll let you know how it goes!

Dorito, the supernatural forces certainly got their revenge, lol.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
PUFA destroys the immune system/response allowing you to poison yourself even further with less symptoms. Take away the constant PUFA bombardment and the immune system starts to come alive and when you eat bad stuff the immune system gives off a huge response and then your are like oh crap what the heck is going on. When all you did was poison yourself and your body is like "wtf are you doing to me? I thought we had woken up and realized that this isn't a "treat", this is insanity, cut it out!" What you are witness to is a body that is healing and fighting off the poison more effectively and trying it's best to throw off the bad stuff.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks, Charlie. This is making a lot of sense.

I just checked Cronometer and the last time I felt this way, which was back in June, I'd had nearly 10 g. of PUFA. Yesterday I had 11 g.

Normally I have under 3 g.

Interesting stuff!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Maybe your body just could not handle all the PUFA along with the stuff that was in those hot dogs. :lol:

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie said:
Maybe your body just could not handle all the PUFA along with the stuff that was in those hot dogs. :lol:

haha, probably. Although I watched the Nathan's hotdog eating contest yesterday and Joey Chestnut put away a record of 69 - making my 2 look rather healthy.

Attachments

• 69_hot_dogs__69_hot_dog_buns--2013-07-04_1156_medium.png
    69_hot_dogs__69_hot_dog_buns--2013-07-04_1156_medium.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 838

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:shock:

OP
Peata

Peata

Yeah, they say the best "eaters" tend to be lean or athletic build.

HDD

Pretty sure Ray Peat recommends Vitamin E when eating out.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So, PUFA dampens immune response, take PUFA away start getting bad stuff to happen when eating bad food because the immune response is getting stronger. Eventually body gets strong enough to deal with occasional poisonings from 4th of July outings and no response is had because the body just deals with it in a normal way.

Well, thats my take on it at least.

Jenn

5 years down the road I can tolerate anything on a temporary basis...as long as I am getting what I need. A vitamin E capsule, some mineral drops in my drink, a packet of know gelatin so I am getting gelatin with muscle meat. I can mix coconut oil into the potato salad....

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
There is hope! Thanks Jenn. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals