What Form Of Calcium And Zinc Should I Supplement?

Such_Umami

If I have a day without wholefoods, I'd like to get a supplement so I am not missing anything. What form of these minerals should I get?

Nebula

I’ve never had good results from zinc supplements. A tin of smoked oysters is easy to carry anywhere. If your zinc levels are already good you won’t notice anything negative from missing a day every once in awhile. It’s probably more important to make sure your thyroid is already performing optimally so you are absorbing and retaining the zinc you consume from diet.

Last edited:

BearWithMe

I would not recommend supplementing zinc, but use L-OptiZinc if you absolutely have to. This is the only form of zinc that doesn't displace copper.

The best calcium supplement is milk, but if you absolutely have to use tablets, get calcium hydroxiapatite. Other forms will do more harm than good.

BearWithMe

That's tooth enamel if I am not mistaken?

Ray usually recommends calcium carbonate
70% of enamel and dentin is made from calcium hydroxiapatite, and also 70% of the bone mass. Hydroxiapatite is the primary storage form of calcium in the human body.

schultz

70% of enamel and dentin is made from calcium hydroxiapatite, and also 70% of the bone mass. Hydroxiapatite is the primary storage form of calcium in the human body.

Okay, thanks! I'm surprised I didn't know that TBH. I looked it up after your reply. I guess it's a crystalline calcium phosphorus. Is digestion of that any different from other forms of calcium? What is the calcium to phosphorus ratio of hydroxyapatite?

member11823

I would not recommend supplementing zinc, but use L-OptiZinc if you absolutely have to. This is the only form of zinc that doesn't displace copper.

The best calcium supplement is milk, but if you absolutely have to use tablets, get calcium hydroxiapatite. Other forms will do more harm than good.

How about zinc glycinate? Or may optizonc be taken with non chelated calcium?

BearWithMe

Okay, thanks! I'm surprised I didn't know that TBH. I looked it up after your reply. I guess it's a crystalline calcium phosphorus. Is digestion of that any different from other forms of calcium? What is the calcium to phosphorus ratio of hydroxyapatite?
Exactly, it's a crystalline calcium phosphorus. Don't know if the digestion is different, but you need some phosphorus to properly metabolize and use the calcium. In hydroxiapatite, you have Ca:P in the optimal ratio and already bound together. Ingesting calcium without phosphorus leads to all kinds of bad things.

BearWithMe

How about zinc glycinate? Or may optizonc be taken with non chelated calcium?
Zinc glycinate is the second best option, but it will displace the copper stores which can easily lead to depletion over time and you don't want to deplete your copper stores.
Don't take calcium and zinc supplements at the same time, they compete for absorbtion / inhibit absorbtion of each other. Wait at least a hour or two.

Last edited:

milkboi

Zinc glycinate is the second best option, but it will displace the copper stores which can easily lead to depletion over time and you don't want to deplete your copper stores.
Don't take calcium and zinc supplements at the same time, they compete for absorbtion / inhibit absorbtion of each other. Wait at least a hour or two.

What if you supplement copper 12h apart from zinc?

BearWithMe

What if you supplement copper 12h apart from zinc?
I think it really depends on the dose and also on the form of the zinc supplement. If the dose of is large enough taken for long enough, it is likely to skew the Copper/Zinc ratio anyways, and even affect the absorbtion of copper taken 12h apart from zinc.

Exactly, it's a crystalline calcium phosphorus. Don't know if the digestion is different, but you need some phosphorus to properly metabolize and use the calcium. In hydroxiapatite, you have Ca:P in the optimal ratio and already bound together. Ingesting calcium without phosphorus leads to all kinds of bad things.
Have you ever used calcium hydroxiapatite yourself?

Dave Clark

I didn't know there was 'any' form of zinc that couldn't displace copper if it raised your levels to a certain point. Where did you find that information? If you have any studies that show L-OptiZinc doesn't displace copper, please post it.

Does it digest well? If you have used other forms of calcium, how does it compare, digestion- wise?

BearWithMe

Does it digest well? If you have used other forms of calcium, how does it compare, digestion- wise?
Any form of calcium is giving me nausea, when I take more, than 400mg at once. Hydroxyapatite is probably slightly harder to digest than carbonate or lactate, but I was able to handle 350mg of hydroxyapatite even when my digestion was at absolute worst, and I wasn't able to handle almost anything at that time.

If you have troubles digesting calcium supplements, the solution is usually to take small doses spread trough the day and take them with plenty of food.

Also, calcium hydroxyapatite supplements are basically milled bones / bone meal, so it helps to eat them with foods that goes well with bone meal. I wouldn't take it with fruit milkshake, for example, but with gelatin or meat or something like that.

Any form of calcium is giving me nausea, when I take more, than 400mg at once. Hydroxyapatite is probably slightly harder to digest than carbonate or lactate, but I was able to handle 350mg of hydroxyapatite even when my digestion was at absolute worst, and I wasn't able to handle almost anything at that time.

If you have troubles digesting calcium supplements, the solution is usually to take small doses spread trough the day and take them with plenty of food.

Also, calcium hydroxyapatite supplements are basically milled bones / bone meal, so it helps to eat them with foods that goes well with bone meal. I wouldn't take it with fruit milkshake, for example, but with gelatin or meat or something like that.
Thanks for sharing!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals