What Exactly is an Independent Health Researcher?

Herbie

Ray peat is one, so is Haidut and Danny, also Chris Masterjohn.

I think they work for the clientele through providing a service.

Ben.

I would describe it like this:

Independent Health Researcher is basically everyone on this forum and everyone else in the world who researches health related topics without being on a payroll from a company or goverment where the intention and research is biased/guided on financial interest of the employer.

As a job it means that you make money off the information you gathered. For example a scientist in a lab who gets his equipment and paycheck from a company that produces and researches antibiotics is NOT a independend researcher. He is employed by a company, and researches for the companys interest.

Independend means you are selfemployed and use your knowledge to help people and charge them money for it (can be friends, strangers, etc.)

Herbie said it correctly. Someone like Hans, Haidut and Danny.

To answer your question how much money they make depends solely on how much they charge, how much clientel/customers they have, how good they are in what they do etc. Selfemployment essentially.

OP
PeatandPotatoes
T
I would describe it like this:

Independent Health Researcher is basically everyone on this forum and everyone else in the world who researches health related topics without being on a payroll from a company or goverment where the intention and research is biased/guided on financial interest of the employer.

As a job it means that you make money off the information you gathered. For example a scientist in a lab who gets his equipment and paycheck from a company that produces and researches antibiotics is NOT a independend researcher. He is employed by a company, and researches for the companys interest.

Independend means you are selfemployed and use your knowledge to help people and charge them money for it (can be friends, strangers, etc.)

Herbie said it correctly. Someone like Hans, Haidut and Danny.

To answer your question how much money they make depends solely on how much they charge, how much clientel/customers they have, how good they are in what they do etc. Selfemployment essentially.
Thank you, your answer was really thorough and easy to understand.

Makes more sense now when Danny says his friends would laugh at his income because it is based off of clients

Rafe

Self-publishing or publishing in indie outlets, without institutional support or obligations. They have to build their own audience.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray peat is one, so is Haidut and Danny, also Chris Masterjohn.

I think they work for the clientele through providing a service.

One small note - I don't consult clients. So, in my case the label applies but I would probably add "Volunteer" to the title as I don't earn a living though it and I do not get paid for my posts/discussions by anyone.

Herbie

One small note - I don't consult clients. So, in my case the label applies but I would probably add "Volunteer" to the title as I don't earn a living though it and I do not get paid for my posts/discussions by anyone.
Yeah that’s why I didn’t mention which services or if money is involved or not.

I mean that you work for the people, a man of the people, to serve the individual, to help them.

Thank you for your contributions.

David PS

Some people at my church were counseling others on church premises. They wanted to charge for their services to recoup some of their expenses associated with the cost of gas to drive to church and maybe make some money as well. My advice to them (and the church) was that if they charged for medical/health advice that they were practicing medicine. They weren't licensed to do that. My recommendation was that just continue to practice friendship and not charge anyone anything.

Practicing friendship is what everyone is doing on this forum. Sometimes, people on the forum who also are selling products or services, intentionally do not answer health questions. They do not want to blur the line between practicing friendship and practicing medicine. It is important to respect that line.

PeskyPeater

Someone with the desperate act to get the right answers, putting in sweat blood and tears, but not aware of the depth of the rabbit hole, losing 5 years of their life b/c of it, on the verge of insanity, before finally stumbling upon Ray Peat, may call him- or herself an I.H.R.