What Drives Inflammation In Type 2 Diabetes? Not Glucose, Says New Research

Cirion

Nice.

But it's funny that they call it "New" research when I'm pretty sure this has been known as far back as the 1800s according to Peat possibly even further back.

OP
Oraganic4me

Oraganic4me

Nice.

But it's funny that they call it "New" research when I'm pretty sure this has been known as far back as the 1800s according to Peat possibly even further back.

What’s even more baffling is that “She hopes to precisely define pro-inflammatory lipid types and explore associations between circulating and/or tissue-associated lipids and insulin resistance, “

Cirion

What’s even more baffling is that “She hopes to precisely define pro-inflammatory lipid types and explore associations between circulating and/or tissue-associated lipids and insulin resistance, “

aka... PUFA?

It'll be truly amazing to me if she concludes this and Big Pharma does not silence / make this person disappear. This would devastate their cash flow from diabetes meds. We can't be curing people who are lining our pockets with $1,000,000,000's of money now can we?

Still maybe this is good news and things can finally start moving in the right direction.

Last edited:
OP
Oraganic4me

Oraganic4me

great share, thx !

I shared another post about a podcast I was listening to and the last few minutes... the guy asks his guest Dr. Vamsi Mootha, an expert in mitochondrial biology and investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute about what his dream medical study would be if money was no option... Dr Mootha says my dream is to study thin air and it’s effect on chronic disease ... he believes high altitude holds the key to health... Dr Peat always talks about high altitudes and this Doctor is now discovering it.
‎The Peter Attia Drive: #66 - Vamsi Mootha, M.D.: Aging, type 2 diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease – do all roads lead to mitochondria? on Apple Podcasts

Birdie

Thanks!

invictus

I'm dealing, for years, with pre-diabetes(A1C between 5.9 & 6.2/fasting glucose 100 to 104), non-restorative sleep related to treatment resistant bipolar illness, weight gain(36 lbs. over the past seven years) and getting older, though I still feel young. I love Florida, live half a block from the ocean. Bag breathing or breathing, deeply, and holding it for several seconds to increase CO2? The late Dr. James Balch recommended holding one's breath for several seconds, several times a day, to improve oxygenation, but perhaps it would also increase CO2. My doctor knows I don't want to take medications, since I usually get negative reactions. Tried Metformin, twice. Gave me diarrhea.

I know I absolutely need to reverse pre-diabetes and systemic inflammation. Going to try small dose of niacinamide, either after dinner or a couple of hour before my bedtime. I believe mitochondrial dysfunction is the underlying problem. My psychiatrist, also a researcher, agrees, but without restorative sleep, the brain/immune system/endocrine system begin to malfunction.

schultz

It baffles me that these researchers are “surprised”. Did they forget everything they were taught?

Yah I guess so. When you read various studies they make it pretty clear what causes these things. Actually a lot of times they use high fat diets to induce diabetes and will say "high-fat diet induced diabetes" like that's the standard way to induce diabetes in animal models. The below study, in the results portion of the paper, says this...

TCF2 Attenuates FFA-Induced Damage in Islet β-Cells by Regulating Production of Insulin and ROS
"It is widely known that FFAs are implicated in obesity, IR, and DM. A previous study confirmed that increased levels of FFAs were positively correlated with the deterioration of β-cell function..."

So apparently it is widely known.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(94)90511-8/fulltext
"These findings imply a direct influence of dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids on aortic plaque formation and suggest that current trends favouring increased intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids should be reconsidered."

You can also find little nuggets in studies like this one where they were trying to study if corn oil would prevent heart disease and some of these patients developed issues with diabetes. They weren't studying diabetes though so they don't mention it much, but they took the guy off the oil after his glycosuria increased, then the glycosuria stopped so they put him back on the oil and it came back. So good! One guy, not a diabetic before the study, actually developed diabetes.

Corn Oil in Treatment of Ischaemic Heart Disease
"Four patients were removed from the trial for other reasons. Two developed non-cardiac thromboembolism and were given anti-coagulant therapy. The other two were removed because of diabetes mellitus. One of them already had mild diabetes, but glycosuria increased considerably soon after he started the oil. Oil was stopped and glycosuria disappeared. Oil was restarted, but stopped a month later because heavy glycosuria recurred. The other patient, not a previously recognized diabetic, developed glycosuria with a diabetic glucose-tolerance test a few weeks after starting oil."

Bernardo Houssay comes to mind. The studies he was involved with in the 50's clearly show saturated fat is protective for diabetes and that PUFA aggravates it.

“She hopes to precisely define pro-inflammatory lipid types and explore associations between circulating and/or tissue-associated lipids and insulin resistance, “

lol, guess we may never know! :lol: