What Does Zinc Antagonize/use Up? (same Question For B6)

lvysaur

I read cursorily somewhere that zinc and selenium antagonize each other somewhat. I know that zinc is antagonized *by* calcium, or at least its absorption is prevented by it.

In other words, after taking a lot of zinc and/or b6, what should one make sure to take?

Vinero

Copper and zinc are also antagonistic. High doses of supplemental zinc are known to deplete copper.

fradon

I read cursorily somewhere that zinc and selenium antagonize each other somewhat. I know that zinc is antagonized *by* calcium, or at least its absorption is prevented by it.

In other words, after taking a lot of zinc and/or b6, what should one make sure to take?

http://traceelements.com/Docs/The Nutritional Relationships of Selenium.pdf

calcium just binds to zinc iron and other minerals and prevents them from being absorbed

Vitamin and Mineral Agonists and Antagonists

Johnathan5544

It antagonises copper as other commenters said. There are studies where people come to the ER feeling tired, and with some other symptoms, they do blood tests, and it shows low copper, and the patient had been taking high doze zinc for months / years. High copper foods are liver/digestive glands of squid/octopus, then oysters, then beef liver. Or there are copper glycinate supplements.

SamuraiJack

Zinc is a tricky one. Taking zinc alone screws with my copper balance and i find taking it with copper 15:1 helps. It will interfere with iron too. Best to take them all if you're taking zinc.
For me it definitely uses up magnesium. If you're thyroid is in good spec u may not notice it, i don't anymore. But there's a zinc/mg link too.

Motif

Zinc is a tricky one. Taking zinc alone screws with my copper balance and i find taking it with copper 15:1 helps. It will interfere with iron too. Best to take them all if you're taking zinc.
For me it definitely uses up magnesium. If you're thyroid is in good spec u may not notice it, i don't anymore. But there's a zinc/mg link too.

what zinc and copper forms are you taking?

you think something like the Thorne trace minerals + copper would be a good buy?