What Does Your Diet Look Like?

Mittir

pboy said:
dunno, maybe its just me, I feel much less electric when I eat salt...I mean a little is fine and I don't notice, but going over like even 1g added its a big difference to me. Also it makes my arms and legs feel heavy and eventually get red and sweaty and stuff...just a heavy energy.

Its not actually salt that's bad, sodium or chloride...I guess chloride could be a problem in high amounts, but its just that inevitabley using a lot of salt you are either going to be very hypertonic which stagnates energy flow, finer channel flow, of you have to drink water to dilute it, in which case you get hypo glycemic. You want to be tonified with sugar, not salt...the best thing is to have physiological requirement of minerals and vitamins and leave all the rest of the room for sugar...you don't wanna take up space with excess unnecessary osmolly active particles like salt, its just a burden

In later version of "Nutrition for Women" RP made one major correction on salt.
He admits he made a mistake in original version by recommending low salt intake .
One of the reason is that when someone suddenly increase salt intake it causes
edema as body adjust by increasing sodium excretion. It takes few days for body to adjust
the rate and edema goes away with regular higher salt intake. Similar things happens
with sudden increase in coffee, which acts like diuretic in the beginning.

I feel really energized with extra salt but extra salt upsets my stomach. So i try to
get extra potassium and calcium to compensate for moderate salt intake.
Baking soda works fine but excess baking soda increases urination.
If thyroid function is good then body can easily retain minerals and we would not
need large amount of salt or other alkaline minerals.

RP mentioned that we have strong cravings for salt and sugar.
So, salt to taste is the best guide for us. People who needs excess salt
will have craving for salty foods.

In ayurveda, they recommend rock salt over regular salt. Rock salt is considered
sattvic. RP does not like the presence of iron in rock salt. But, in a dairy and fruit
based ayurvedic diet extra iron is not a big problem.They think salt improves digestion
and energy but excess salt cause stagnation.

YuraCZ

2-4 eggs
200-400g chicken/turkey breast
30g hydrolyzed collagen
20-40g 80% whey protien
10g L glutamine
5g L lysine
20g Glycine
500-1000ml home made kefir
2 banans
0-1 apple
vegetables
100-400g white rice
20-40g coconut oil
5-10g sea salt
15g ascorbic acid + 5g soda bikarbona = sodium ascorbate in 1l of water + 2 lemons = nice vitamin C drink

pboy

im sure you're right mittir, its...it was a gradual thing with me. Not even 2 years ago...I was intaking huge amounts of salt, id add it to coffee or anything and everything. It was...there was a period when I crashed from being a vegan for 2 years, eventually stress caught up to me, I think I got protein deficient...rather, just everything deficient, I was basically emaciated. I had been eating cooked meals everyday and eventually I had less and less appetite for them, the only thing I could eat was soaked dates...literally. (tho at that time I was a vegan, so im sure milk would have saved me...but you live and learn)...id been studying Ayurveda a lot also and they kept hammering home the point about milk, in the back of my mind I kind of knew I needed it but just couldn't overcome the fear of it after not having it for so long. So anyways, one morning before work I made a rice meal with a few vegetables I think...and I literally couldn't eat it, it was pure paste in my mouth, I couldn't even swallow it. Somehow I recovered but the only way I could eat anything for a long time was to soak it in large amounts of soy sauce or miso. The high salt habit carried on for a while. As I begin drinking more and more milk, amongst other things, id use less and less...in fact milk basically saved my life and all the stuff like nuts, tempeh, even coffee eventually (id drink huge amounts just to function), alcohol, bad quality fruit juices, I eventually took them all out of my diet because milk basically took their place and was gentle. When I first became vegan...it was mostly uncooked food, and in fact, I kidn of thrived on that for a long time, almost a year, it wasn't until I started cooking more and more that my health declined...I suspect it was all the anti nutrients and parathyroid got wrecked, because it was whole grains and all that. But I never forgot how I felt on the mostly raw food diet, it was like..an electric flowing feel id never felt in my life, and I wasn't using salt at the time, almost at all...sometimes id make a salad with avocado and tomatos and put salt in it but that was it...and a hint of kelp. After Peating for a while, well...I was just getting into Peat, but drinking milk and tailoring my diet, I started noticing salt started becoming heavy and offensive, and over the next year or so I phased it out completely. I ate a few ounces of feta cheese one day and literally got significantly puffy...I suspect it was like a gram of salt, and it took 2-3 days of m ostly fruit to clear it out. So I know salt is highly variable, and it does seem to matter a lot on other factors...but theres no doubt to me now, its best to not need it much or at all...if you can get a diet and routine that facilitates that, you'll feel the best, but often times people need it before they develop that. Now I just rely on the sodium in milk and trace amounts in spring water, and its offensive to even taste it on my tongue...my metabolism has changed so much since the time I was using salt...its clearly just that hormones and thyroid are so much better now. Back when I needed a ton of salt id be cold all the time even if it was hot, and this last winter I was basically able to function in shorts and T shirt in cold weather...id sleep without a heater on and my window cracked when it was like 35...and just overall feeling of power and capability and sharpness of mind was profoundly better than in the past. I guess it is just having to do with thyroid pretty entirely. I understand Peats point about salt being an osmotic diuretic but that only applies if everything else is fine and you just took in too much liquid...if your energy producing capability isn't high, extra salt will just sit around...that's my experience with it. Its better to focus on sugar and vitamins and minerals and specifically thyroid supporting and vitamin A...so iodine selenium and vitamin A, as the keys to not needing salt and producing a ton of energy. Simultaneously, once thyroid is fast, extra salt if you do eat it gets eliminated quickly also...im sure I could eat quite a bit and it would be gone in a day or two, but its just unpleasant to me now and significantly makes me feel worse. Since youre versed in Ayurveda ill use the terms...I think salt is actually rajasic, its not a genuine energy producer unless you actually are deficient which is rare, otherwise its more of like a non grounded stimulation to me, and in higher amounts its tamasic, lethargic inducing. Usually anything that comes from underground or the ocean is tamasic, or has at least some of those qualities

janus

2-3 quarts skim milk w/ dutch cocoa, glycine, lysine
8-10 oz boiled chicken breast
5-8 baked medium-sized potatoes
~1 lb dates/bananas/pineapple
a parsnip

tara

YuraCZ said:
15g ascorbic acid + 5g soda bikarbona = sodium ascorbate in 1l of water + 2 lemons = nice vitamin C drink
That seems like a huge amount of ascorbic acid. Is there a reason for so much?

Nicholas

my super expensive diet:

pastured chicken, beef, pork, liver, eggs
occasional broth soups (recently adding veggies and straining)
clams, cod, shrimp, oysters
lots of greek yogurt and cottage cheese
fresh squeezed orange juice and martinelli's apple juice
coffee w/cream & sugar (1cup/day usually)
spring water
[roasted red potatoes, turnips, sweet potatoes, parsnips], zucchini (skin removed for all)
shallots, onions, chives, herbs, garlic for flavor which i crave A LOT
carrot salad maybe twice a week
grapes, cherries, honeydew, nectarines, peaches, pears, kiwis, and occasional papaya
occasional 70% chocolate
occasional milk
occasional gouda and parm
cook with butter

i keep the meats for lunch and usually do fish for dinner. breakfast always egg fritatta/omellette with green onions, roots, etc. and yogurt with fruit.
snacks are dairy-based protein and fruit - sometimes hard-boiled eggs.
root veggies & fruits as my main carbs. i usually limit starches to my main meals.
physically demanding job & sweat a lot so i drink dilluted apple juice with salt and eat about 6 meals a day
on the higher end: 130g/protein a day but probably more around 100g/day
carbs are about 60% of my calories
going more by "feels" now and what i'm craving - which requires more effort (ironically)

Nicholas

HDD said:
Had some really good oysters yesterday (never thought I would ever say that) and looking for nutritional information I found this little ditty -

The way to stay slim
Without losing your vim
Is by oysters in your diet
They fill you with vigor
But don't make you bigger
If you don't believe it, just try it.
To cut the cost of things you eat
Just try a good rich oyster stew.
For economy it can't be beat,
Nutritious and delicious, too.
--the poem above is from the Pacific
Coast Oyster Growers Association 19th
Annual Convention, Program, August 1965.

Are oysters nutritious? You betcha. So nutritious that during World War II, the U.S. military contracted with Washington oyster growers to provide oyster meats as an inexpensive source of protein for soldiers.

: ) oysters really do make me happy. i was surprised tonight at some oysters i had (Jeri's - gulf coast brand) that had absolutely no flavor at all. oysters tend to taste like oysters but these didn't have that taste. wasn't sure if it was a good or bad thing.

YuraCZ

tara said:
YuraCZ said:
I read a lot about vit C and it is really interesting. I tested my bowel tolerance with 40g of ascorbic acid a day and nothing happened. So I guess my body needs some vitC lol. But I will take less max 10g a day..

tara

YuraCZ said:
tara said:
YuraCZ said:
I read a lot about vit C and it is really interesting. I tested my bowel tolerance with 40g of ascorbic acid a day and nothing happened. So I guess my body needs some vitC lol. But I will take less max 10g a day..
Wow. I hit bowel tolerance once at less than 10g. :)

YuraCZ

tara said:
YuraCZ said:
tara said:
YuraCZ said:
I have big issues with connective tissue so it make sense that body use all that vit C... My body was depleted under huge stress for years without adequate nutrients. Now I try to rebuild everything and vitC is so important for collagen synthesis.. Most animals synthesize their own vitamin C. They can synthesize up to 100g of vit C under huge stress we can't.. SO if we don't supplement we will suffer. I think that it is clear..

httpblog.livonlabs.com/goat-vitamin-c-production/

tara

YuraCZ said:
tara said:
YuraCZ said:
tara said:
YuraCZ said:
I have big issues with connective tissue so it make sense that body use all that vit C... My body was depleted under huge stress for years without adequate nutrients. Now I try to rebuild everything and vitC is so important for collagen synthesis.. Most animals synthesize their own vitamin C. They can synthesize up to 100g of vit C under huge stress we can't.. SO if we don't supplement we will suffer. I think that it is clear..

httpblog.livonlabs.com/goat-vitamin-c-production/
Yes, vit-C is important for growing and repairing connective tissue (and skin, and other organs). I supplement a little now and then, have used more in at times in the past. I've just never seen anyone recommend more than about 1g as an ongoing supplement. (I've seen recommendations for several g, but less than 10g, short-term for various things). Peat's concern with vit-C supps is the lead contamination that he suggests is a consequence of the current usual cheap production methods.
That link didn't work for me.

rei

After trying many different regimes i have found the following works the best for me:

-Intermittent fasting. In practice it means i eat a large varied meal slowly while watching some video online, and if i feel like it i add some kind of dessert or snack after an hour or so. This leaves 21-23 hours of fasting time per day.
-2-3 large cups (full aeropress) of freshly ground black coffee per day. Additionally i drink about 2 liters of water and add one teaspoon of seasalt per liter. This combination keeps hunger completely away and the metabolic rate up.
-Not very strict about the macros, something like a balanced 33/33/33. Whole foods instead of processed ones. Trying to minimize unsaturated fats without going to extremes.

This has allowed me to drop a significant amount of weight while gaining muscle and feeling alert throughout the day.

In addition i do some supplements and experiments:
-multivitamin daily, additional 10k vit D if i have not been in the sun at all.
-protein+essential amino acid shake when i work out.
-about 500mg niacin ~every 2-3 days.
-high dose vitamin C about once per week, basically sipping on it until bowel tolerance is reached. Typically this is 10-15g.
-12.5-25mg lugols iodine ~2-3 times per week, mixed with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
-48 hour fast about once every other month.

Last edited:

Arnold Grape

Waking:
Organic Orange Juice 2 cups w/ Niacinamide
Organic Skim Milk 1 Cup
Salt

Breakfast 1-2 hours later:
2 Eggs in Coconut Oil & Salt
Orange Juice or Whole Foods Cherry/ Vanilla Crème Soda
Cherries
Café Bustelo /w Great Lakes Gelatin (Green Can) & Sugar

Snack:
Dried Mango Slices (Trader Joe's)
1-1.5 Cup Organic Skim/ gelatin

Lunch:
Oysters or Grass Fed Beef Jerky
Whole Foods Soda
Parmesan Cheese
Salt

Snack:
Cherries
Cappuccino w/ Whole Milk and Sugar
Gelatin

Dinner:
Wild Alaskan Cod or Shrimp
Kerry Gold Grass-Fed Butter/ Salt
Milk or Soda

Bedtime:
Turkey Hill Natural Vanilla Bean 4-6 servings :checkeredflag:

I augment with: Vitamin B-1; Riboflavin; Niacinamide; E, K, C, Aspirin - and Lysine; Preg; Progesterone (few times weekly). I also eat the Trader Joe's Gummy Bears and Lollipops, especially during exercise or if I'm walking a lot that day.

*EDIT* I also eat raw carrots regularly and I tend to drink Seltzer Water often.

Wilfrid

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs with grated cheese
Parboiled white rice cooked in mushroom broth
1 tsp butter
Coffee with sugar and blackstrap molasse.
Wheat germ extract.

Lunch: Ox-tail soup or cheese head or tripes
Parboiled white rice cooked in green broth
1-2 medium coke
1 tsp coconut oil
Cooked fruits ( apples, peaches.....)
Coffee ( same as breakfast )
Brewer's yeast extract.

Snack: low-fat greek yogurt with maple syrup or fresh tropical fruits with feta.

Dinner: Either Ray's carrot salad or cooked mushrooms or cooked bamboo
shoots.
Cheese.
1-2 coke
Cooked greens.
Mashed potatoes with butter
Cheese cake or ice cream or crème caramel or chocolate.
Coffee ( same as above ).

trew

2 litres of Milk
2 litres of OJ
2 eggs
30g of cheese
1 carrot
1 tbsp coconut oil

70mg pregnenolone
140mg niacinamide after each meal

That's it. Will add thyroid soon.

Dobbler

2 litres of Milk
2 litres of OJ
2 eggs
30g of cheese
1 carrot
1 tbsp coconut oil

70mg pregnenolone
140mg niacinamide after each meal

That's it. Will add thyroid soon.
That seems like very low calories. Your gonna have very hard time on thyroid if you dont eat enough.

Hazarlar

1-2 two doses of orange juice or fruits (kiwi, mango, banana, watermelon, dried figs, orange, grapefruits), 1 dose of some milk product (yoghurt, cheese, ice cream), 1 dose of meat (minced beef, pork, fish, shrimps, mussels, chicken), 1 dose of starch (potato, buckwheat, rice, millet, oats).

Basically my approach is that I eat everything that tastes good for me except unnecessary amount of PUFA. Lot of different things; but I don't rely on one food group extensively.

By dose I mean some decent amount that satisfies my needs in given moment.