What Does Your Diet Look Like?

Rolan

I was actually thinking from a caloric/carb perspective, and not that you should eat more potatoe. But I guess you're getting enough.

As for fruit, I guess if you are eating 4 oranges a day? I dont know, I was clutching at straws a bit, so if it's going well for you....

Why not OJ out of interest?

Ari

I'm a huge fan of orange juice, but only when I get to make it myself.

The thing that made me question OJ is how many oranges it takes to make a glass, and where the flavor comes from. I'd rather just eat the fruit.

HDD

Had some really good oysters yesterday (never thought I would ever say that) and looking for nutritional information I found this little ditty -

The way to stay slim
Without losing your vim
Is by oysters in your diet
They fill you with vigor
But don't make you bigger
If you don't believe it, just try it.
To cut the cost of things you eat
Just try a good rich oyster stew.
For economy it can't be beat,
Nutritious and delicious, too.
--the poem above is from the Pacific
Coast Oyster Growers Association 19th
Annual Convention, Program, August 1965.

Are oysters nutritious? You betcha. So nutritious that during World War II, the U.S. military contracted with Washington oyster growers to provide oyster meats as an inexpensive source of protein for soldiers.

jaa

"inexpensive source of protein"

oh how the times have changed!

HDD

I hate paying the high price for "wild" seafood. I grew up in a coastal area and my dad got it all for free. Oysters, shrimp, crab, and fish. I don't have any avid fishermen in my family now. :(

aquaman

I find it strange that a lot of people seem to not eat whole foods or construct meals when eating a "Peaty" diet.

Also from glancing at a few of the posts on here, no wonder people have an issue with putting on weight with the "diet" - lots of cheese, ice cream, cream etc!

It's seems Peat has somehow been interpreted as eat what you feel like when you feel like it, with lots of sugar, OJ and gelatin. Maybe it's just the way everyone is laying out their food in this thread, but there doesn't look to be "meals" created or planned - just having a bit of milk, some cheese, maybe a bit of fruit, a glass of OJ, and then put in some gelatin and it's magically a Peat diet! :D

Also is coffee really a central part of the diet? I find it makes my body temps and pulse crash a few hours later and my sleep is terrible if I have more than one per day, or even my first one after 2pm ish.

Rolan

aquaman said:
I find it strange that a lot of people seem to not eat whole foods or construct meals when eating a "Peaty" diet.

Also from glancing at a few of the posts on here, no wonder people have an issue with putting on weight with the "diet" - lots of cheese, ice cream, cream etc!

It's seems Peat has somehow been interpreted as eat what you feel like when you feel like it, with lots of sugar, OJ and gelatin. Maybe it's just the way everyone is laying out their food in this thread, but there doesn't look to be "meals" created or planned - just having a bit of milk, some cheese, maybe a bit of fruit, a glass of OJ, and then put in some gelatin and it's magically a Peat diet! :D

Also is coffee really a central part of the diet? I find it makes my body temps and pulse crash a few hours later and my sleep is terrible if I have more than one per day, or even my first one after 2pm ish.

What an introduction post :lol:

I see your point - but really, for what reason should people not eat what and when they feel like it? I'm sure when metabolism is fixed then hunger/satiety and therefore food intake evens out. You can't expect so many people from poor nutritional and health backgrounds to be able to regulate themselves normally so quickly. I know a person who had to eat 10,000 calories a day after his LC experience. He did that for a while, too. Planning meals? Gosh, what could be more boring. Some people have to because of various reasons, but with this stuff I only have to cook once per day. Back in the Paleo era I'd be doing that two to three times per day - Ain't nobody got time for that! It's just food, no need to base one's life around it(bit of a contradiction I know).

One thing you will learn here is that there IS no Peat diet. He simply makes broad recommendations for the average punter and then more acute ones for those folks who need to be more diligent.

Coffee is pretty integral yes. Although I maintain that if you're well enough then nobody needs to drink it, per se. Yet there are many benefits to it. People here are much more experienced and well versed in this than I am, so can explain it better. Just look around.

What I have found is that there is much more to 'Peating' than just Milk, OJ and coffee. Quality of the food is vital, although that goes for any diet you partake in - Vegan, Paleo...anything. This is one of the most nutrient dense ways of eating you'll find.

juanitacarlos

aquaman said:

I must admit I don't cook many meals in a traditional sense, and I love it. I'm definitely one who throws a few things together because I'm eating to heal, and less for pleasure or to be social (except when I dine out). But I don't eat anything I don't like the taste of. And as someone who has struggled with my weight, and have had troubles 'emotionally' eating, this a huge step for me, to make eating a bit more perfunctory. So I'm enjoying it. And I'll add that I don't have a family to cook for, so that plays a part in how I eat, too. I haven't put on weight since peating, even though I'm very overweight presently.

As for the coffee, there is plenty of info on this forum about how to make coffee work for you. You could try making sure you have it with meals, with plenty of cream, sugar and gelatin.

JR75

Hello, first post here. I am using a slightly modified Steve Reeves diet. I started reading about Ray Peat's diet recommendations and it reminded me of the diet I had read that Steve reeves used and I looked it up, and sure enough its really close to what Peat recommends.

http://classicphysiquebuilder.blogspot. ... steve.html

Breakfast: The Steve Reeves Power Drink consisting of:

14 ounces of freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon of Knox gelatin
1 tablespoon of honey
1 banana
2-4 raw eggs (he recommends that pasteurized eggs might be safer today)
2 tablespoons of High-Protein Powder (which he made himself)

Lunch:

cottage cheese (with a handful of nuts, raisins)
2 pieces of fresh fruit (in season)

Dinner:

1 huge salad
1 swordfish steak (or turkey, tuna, or lean ground beef)

I've adjusted it just a bit to suit me. I've cut the salad out and replaced it with baked sweet potato's or white rice loaded with butter and sugar and of course a raw carrot. I've also adjusted the calorie level to maintenance for the time being. I take T3 and T4 2x per day and doing pretty good with it at the moment.

Rolan

^^ Looks pretty good.

I'm having to eat a reasonable amount of pork right now because I'm flat broke for the next 3 weeks, and It's free and I know where it's come from(my folks farm, so know how it was raised and so on). I like it alot, but will only be a temporary thing. Can't wait to get more variation in here - missing my milk but I think I'm going to reduce cheese and cut out store OJ and replace with local, organic Apple Juice or Lemonade permanently.

Been eating a lot of plumbs and variations of, because they're growing outside. Pretty good, but have to be swift otherwise the wasps get there first.

OP
D

Dutchie

JR75 said:
Hello, first post here. I am using a slightly modified Steve Reeves diet. I started reading about Ray Peat's diet recommendations and it reminded me of the diet I had read that Steve reeves used and I looked it up, and sure enough its really close to what Peat recommends.

http://classicphysiquebuilder.blogspot. ... steve.html

Breakfast: The Steve Reeves Power Drink consisting of:

14 ounces of freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon of Knox gelatin
1 tablespoon of honey
1 banana
2-4 raw eggs (he recommends that pasteurized eggs might be safer today)
2 tablespoons of High-Protein Powder (which he made himself)

Lunch:

cottage cheese (with a handful of nuts, raisins)
2 pieces of fresh fruit (in season)

Dinner:

1 huge salad
1 swordfish steak (or turkey, tuna, or lean ground beef)

I've adjusted it just a bit to suit me. I've cut the salad out and replaced it with baked sweet potato's or white rice loaded with butter and sugar and of course a raw carrot. I've also adjusted the calorie level to maintenance for the time being. I take T3 and T4 2x per day and doing pretty good with it at the moment.

I came across this blog dedicated to Classic Physique Builders from the Golden Era and from what I saw,almost all of them ate no/little grains/starch. And it also seemed like they didn't do Macro cycling/restricting,just eating 3sensible nutritious meals.
It wasnt that common during that time,but I hoped they'd mentioned some female lifters as well especially their diets/what they ate in the hope it'd give me some mental sanity.

jyb

Tried to do some fries with coconut oil (Jenn's influence) but didn't manage to do proper fries, it was more like some fried and soft bits of potatoes. I first do a preliminary boil of the chips in water, then fry until it becomes really soft. But the taste is pretty good.

I didn't get any post-meal sluggishness from the potatoes cooked this way and I've tried on two occasions.

Jib

Fruit juice with baking soda is a staple for me. The extra sodium seems to help me feel better when taking in more fluids and potassium, and I also love the fizz. It's also probably easier on my teeth since it brings the pH up quite a bit, of course depending on how much you add. Most of the time I have orange juice, but orange+mango or pineapple juice hit the spot sometimes. I'd love to add black cherry juice but the last time I did it sent me to the bathroom pretty quickly. I don't know why I have that reaction, and I seem the have the same reaction to pomegranate juice and grape juice -- even the 100% juices not from concentrate.

I've been making this quite a bit lately:

-10oz coffee
-Good shot of half & half
-2 tablespoons hydrolyzed collagen
-Maple syrup or white sugar

I've also been peeling apples and cooking them to death with a little cider and sugar to make applesauce. Love that stuff.

I've been broiling my meats lately, usually steak or lamb. I usually cook them rare. Once in a while I go out to get steamed cheeseburgers or pizza at a couple really good local restaurants. When I get steamed cheeseburgers I always get one of the ice cream sodas. Those things are great.

Poached eggs or cheese omelettes are usually in my diet most days of the week. I have uncured beef hot dogs on hand most of the time and I'll usually have those a couple times a week. I don't have ice cream every day but I always keep a couple containers handy in the freezer.

I took a break from potatoes and never went back. I'd like to though. Got enough coconut oil to cook as much of them as I want. Home fries, potato pancakes with a little sour cream/creme fraiche and chives, cream of potato soup, mashed potatoes.

I haven't had liver in quite a while, and I'd like to get back into having that at least once a week. Same with oxtail soup.

Sometimes I make Japanese omelette rice -- an omelette with a rice, ketchup and soy sauce. I use authentic, traditionally brewed soy sauce and it tastes very good. I have authentic miso with my food once in a while, but not very often. I will say that miso soup made with real, quality miso does have a really unique and satisfying taste.

With the heavy metal thing and now the radiation fallout after Fukushima, I'm starting to avoid seafood. It's a shame because I love it. Crab, lobster, mussels, clams, oysters...and I live near the coast, so it's readily available and fresh. Not sure what to do about that one. Been sticking to ruminant meat lately.

aquaman

Jib said:
With the heavy metal thing and now the radiation fallout after Fukushima, I'm starting to avoid seafood. It's a shame because I love it. Crab, lobster, mussels, clams, oysters...and I live near the coast, so it's readily available and fresh. Not sure what to do about that one. Been sticking to ruminant meat lately.

http://chriskresser.com/fukushima-seafood

J

j.

aquaman said:
http://chriskresser.com/fukushima-seafood

Peat is not so flippant about it. Somewhere in the forum there is an e-mail response from him about it.

I live in South America and once he asked me which countries around have fish canneries, I think to find out if he could somehow get it.

octaviankid

Breakfast:
Coffee w/butter,honey, and gelatin (it's actually good lol)
White Rice w/salt
Orange juice

Lunch
Milk
Carrot w/salt and coconut oil

Snack
Orange juice w/gelatin and coconut manna

Dinner
Potatoes w/butter and salt
Milk

Before Bed
Orange juice w/ honey and gelatin

dukez07

Breakfast: Carrot salad (apple cider vinegar, grated carrot, canning salt)

1 Hour later: 1 litre of skimmed milk, 1 tbs cacao, 3 tbs coconut oil, 3tbs sugar

1 hour later: 1 litre of OJ.

Lunch: Carrot salad (same as above)

1 hour later: 1 litre of skimmed milk, 1tbs cacao, 3 tbs coconut oil, 3 tbs sugar

Evening meal: Meat (200g), stock (not homemade, unfortunately), Calcium carbonate tab (to offset phosphorus from meat), gelatin and I rack my brains trying to decide a carb source (beetroot juice is gross, fruit juice is high in vitamin C so not compatible with me iron rich muscle meat). I usually end up going with rice, or when trying to do things the optimal way - dumping a load of sugar in water (which makes me want to heave). But hey, the RP diet is anything but perfect. You just have to accept that parts of your diet are going to be ***t. Carbs are a big problem on this diet. Honey is gross with meat. Maple syrup is ridiculously expensive here in the UK. Dates give me severe digestive troubles. Beans are about the worst thing you can eat. Most fruits are toxic when eaten raw. The only option is rice, potato or cooked fruit. Starch or cooked fruit. Starch doesn't agree with me, that's for sure. Perhaps cooked apple might agree with me? I am due to try it out. Cooked apple, with lots of sugar sounds like good stuff.

Late evening: Haagen daaz. I usually eat half a pot, sometimes one pot. And another 1 litre of OJ.

Not sure how many calories this adds up to, but I am a big believer in trying to get as many calories as I possibly can get. Which is hard, when your diet is based on skimmed milk. I refuse to swap it for whole milk, because 2/3 quarts of whole milk, per day = quite a high PUFA intake. I can eat 9tbs of coconut oil per day (which bumps up calories quite a bit), and it will still have far less PUFA than 2/3 quarts of whole milk. Yes, it's still a lot of fat, but, if you want a high calorie RP diet - I am afraid you need to make friends with fat. Because you ain't gonna get it on skimmed milk, OJ, lean meat and sugar (the ideal RP diet is touted as being low fat, high carb).

J

j.

Whole milk is a good source of vitamin K2, milk which has some fat, even if it isn't whole, I guess would have some as well.

cowbell

I think if you're looking to get K2 from dairy--the animal will have had to have been grass fed in order to produce the MK4 variety. Unless you are talking GOUDA Cheese, in which case the the K2 is of the mk7 variety produced through fermentation.

On a side note, I used to work at a "processing plant" in first year university that "removed" plastic from old bread products rejected by the big super markets. The end product was going to dairy farms around the country. The process was a joke.

Just another cog in the wheel.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals