What does the carrot salad kill exactly?

HDD

"They aren't necessary [FIBER], for example milk supports abundant bacterial growth that creates bulk, but when there are digestive and hormonal problems because of bad intestinal flora, the fibers of carrot and bamboo shoots have a disinfecting action. The carrots must be raw for that effect."

“Appetizing foods stimulate the digestive secretions, but it’s important to avoid foods that directly trigger an inflammatory reaction, or that are indigestible and as a result support harmful bacterial growth. Cellulose can accelerate transit through the intestine and lower estrogen systemically(partly by simply preventing the reabsorption of estrogen that has been secreted by the bile), but the lignans found in many seeds and grains tend to promote inflammation. Raw carrots, for example, lower estrogen, while flax meal can increase it. Constipation or diarrhea, or their alternation, usually develops when there is inflammation in the bowel. A laxative can sometimes reduce the inflammation, but it’s important to identify the foods that contribute to the problem. A salad of shredded carrot, with oil and vinegar dressing, has a germicidal action, and is stimulating to the digestive processes. Most salad vegetables, though, are likely to produce intestinal irritation, directly or as a result of bacterial decomposition.”

YuraCZ

So carrot salad and 1 medium sized apple for soluble fiber will be good source of fiber I guess..

HDD

In the diet section, there is a basic overview of Peat's views on various foods, including apples. I'm having a problem with my copy/paste function so I couldn't just post the link or the comments on apples. I know they can cause digestive problems in certain circumstances.

YuraCZ

HDD said:
In the diet section, there is a basic overview of Peat's views on various foods, including apples. I'm having a problem with my copy/paste function so I couldn't just post the link or the comments on apples. I know they can cause digestive problems in certain circumstances.

Like everything else.. Milk, OJ, carrot etc.. :D

HDD

“My recommendation is to eat to increase the metabolic rate (usually temperature and heart rate), rather than any particular foods.” RP

;) :D

EnoreeG

YuraCZ said:
So from what I read. Soluble fiber is good? So one apple per day will be maybe good idea.. :confused

To actually discourage oversimplification, I suggest another quick (or even leisurely) read of Ayers. Trying to limit one's soluble fiber intake in order to stay faithful to an assumed Peatarian guideline is not what I got from reading Ayers OR from reading Peat. What I got was that the fiber is essential in order to get a healthy microbiome, which is the only way to have a healthy immune system and to minimize chronic inflammation, and that even though fiber is from plants, and therefore brings with it phytonutrients, which cause extra work and regeneration for your liver, you must pay the price, and possibly have your liver working a bit harder to have the healthy gut. So the objective, as I read Ayers, is to eat for yourself yes, but also for those microbes, who need the fiber, and a good variety of it (along with some dirt even) in order to have maybe 200 different species in your gut. The more the better. Probiotics consisting of 8 or 12 strains won't do it. Every pathogenic species that is there in your gut that is identifiable, yet kept in check by the dominant species is one species that you are definitely immune to. It is kept tabs on, and properly managed. Bacteria are adept at species identification so much better than humans that there's just no comparison. But it's way more than that.

For a more simplified writing on fiber, pro's and con's you can start here and check out all the "Manifestos":
http://www.thepaleomom.com/?s=fiber

but personally, I like Ayers.

My take on Ayers is that since he is one guy who agrees totally with Peat on the endotoxins involved, and who agrees that infiltration of microbes into the small intestine is a bad thing, he's someone to read more on. I see him as not so much different from Peat, as actually able to explain a lot of the things Peat says which are difficult to decipher. I think that people who have been Peating for a few years and still have problems, either physically, or logically understanding, could benefit from reading Ayers and others. Peat is brief and cryptic when writing on digestion. It's not that he's wrong, it's that he needs an interpreter, or rather, WE do.

There's far too many people here that are still hurting. Reading a wider range of points of view, both on and off the forum seems warranted.

Cheers,

tara

EnoreeG said:
If you look at how Peat constructed the sentence, he started with "some fibers", then he used carrots as an example (which we know he does often). If he had wanted to say the carrot was the only fiber able to do the protection, he would never had started with "some fibers". Also, he emphasized "lowering endotoxin absorption" before mentioning an antibiotic effect. He was being specific about the fact that fiber reduces absorption. That is definitely a good thing!
I read Peat as saying that a limited subset of vegetables have mostly useful fibre that is not easily digested by bacteria, and they include raw carrots and cooked bamboo shoots (maybe mushrooms too?). There may be others, but I'm pretty sure he is not saying that all or most vegetables have enough of this beneficial fibre to give the benefits he describes. It wouldn't surprise me if he said 'some fibers' because he he is open to the possibility that there are others that he is not yet aware of, or that are not so easy to get or eat.

I also think there is a great deal of complexity, and a great deal no one knows yet about our microbiota.
But Peat's take seems to be pretty consistent in recent years that keeping the numbers down in general has some real benefits.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals