What Does Ray Peat Think About UHT Milk?

Logan-

What does Ray Peat think about UHT milk? Is it worse than the other kinds?

mistermr

Great question.

For me, UHT milk is hell. It gives me digestive issues as if I had eaten gluten. Zero bowel movement.

It is dead milk to me.

The lactose is probably completely destroyed in UHT milk. I remember Ray Peat mentioning that lactose is good for digestion so I think that's a big factor for people with sensitive digestion. Not sure what happens to the proteins in UHT milk though

mujuro

UHT milk is also awful for me. I don’t know of anything that produces such a strong allergic response in me. My skin, especially on my face, erupts in tiny little bumps. I’ve only ever had it once, when we had $20 to spend on our weekly groceries, so it was definitive.

tara

I don't know that I can find the quote, but IIRC, he's said that some people can tolerate UHT milk better than other forms.
He's also said that if people have trouble with milk from one source, sometimes milk from a different farm will be OK for them if the plants the cows are eating don't have the same allergens. And that people with lactose intolerance can sometimes build their lactase production up by very gradually reintroducing milk in very small quantities/increments. In general, he seems to favour finding forms of milk that one personally tolerates, noting that it can differ from person to person.

D Man

They sell a brand called Asana where I live (Spain) it’s a. Swiss alpine milk organic

It is UHT but tastes great

For the people having trouble with UHT try a little bit of sugar to sweeten with cocoa powder - the taste has quite often been the difference maker for me. Any peat inspired foods that I don’t enjoy eating becomes a struggle and thus the benefits seem to diminish over time

Carrot salad is another thing - I used to hate the taste of carrot on its own, now I use a bit of ACV And manchego cheese and i can’t get enough of them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 53

Mauritio

haidut and danny also said in one of their recent podcasts that UHT milk is sometimes superior digestable, IIRC because some enzymes that create problems have been removed ...

Inaut

Thanks for OP and keeping this thread alive. I drink about 1L a day and imo can’t be beat in terms of nutrient density/digestibility. I’ve noticed that mistakenly I’ve bought UHT milk and had a natural preference to it.

Mauritio

do you drink low or full fat UHT milk ?

Inaut

Full fat or 2%.

I don’t enjoy the taste of skim milk

Soren

Forum Supporter
I've personally never had a problem with UHT milk. I live on an island with very little dairy production so UHT is pretty much the only option.

I drink a lot of it.

tankasnowgod

haidut and danny also said in one of their recent podcasts that UHT milk is sometimes superior digestable, IIRC because some enzymes that create problems have been removed ...

I tried some (the Costco brand) after that, and found that it was just as easy (if not easier) to digest as the other organic milk I was drinking. It also keeps a lot longer. The expiration date is like a month or month and a half later than the other brand of milk I was drinking.

UHT milk has also been a godsend for me. Just had 1 liter for 'lunch' the other day and had no digestive problems.

Hgreen56

stupid question maybe but does enzymes die or lose their effect when milk is past its date?
i have notice some times accidentally that when milk has past its date, its better digestible...

Xemnoraq

Im gonna chime in here uht milk tastes much better, even the skim milk tastes creamy, probably because of the higher ratio of calcium to water etc. Also uht milk my mouth feels clean after drinking it, whereas with regular milk it leaves my mouth and teeth feeling dirty with plaque on my teeth a sour taste in my mouth, im under tue assumption that the reason for that is because uht milk is cleaner and has less bacteria because of the process of making it,

For me i see uht as a win win, more protein and calcium per serving, meaning you dont have to guzzle 2l to get your fill, the only downside here is where i live all uht milk is served in these shitty plastic containers

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals