What Does Peat Have To Say About Tribal/indigenous Peoples Eating Pufa?

lvysaur

Thi

DM’d instead cos off topic :)
didn't get it, if you sent it

YouTube videos she shows how she makes rapeseed oil, and they use a modern machine to extract the oil. So, I highly doubt that they would have been doing that throughout History.
Probably they didn't do it with rapeseeds, but might have been done with bigger crops like soybeans.

Since unsaturated fats inhibit thyroid function, and since Eskimos usually have a high caloric intake but are not typically obese, it seems that` their metabolic rate is being promoted by something in their diet, which might also be responsible for protecting them from the effects experienced by the oil researcher.
I used to overrate this "eat the thyroid gland" idea in my earlier days, but it doesn't make much sense if you think about it.
Sure, Inuit eat thyroid glands, ok. But so did virtually every other people group, just with animals that were adapted to warmer climates. So the question again becomes "why do Inuit tolerate marine PUFA so well?" Short answer is that they're biologically adapted, and someone from a temperate or tropical climate would not be able to do the same.

Last edited:

Giraffe

The Sámi people are/were reindeer herders. Inuit in Canada hunted caribou.

[emphasis mine]

"Salmon are an extremely important animal to both the lifestyle and the spirituality of many Native American cultures, especially the tribes of the Northwest Coast and the Columbia River. Like buffalo, salmon willingly give themselves up as food for humans in many Northwest Native American myths, and therefore these fish hold a special position of honor and respect. There are many taboos and other tribal rules regarding salmon, so as to avoid offending them, and special Salmon Dances and First Salmon Ceremonies are celebrated at the beginning of salmon fishing season throughout the Pacific Northwest region. In Native American artwork and literature, salmon are often used as a symbol of determination, renewal, and prosperity."

-a random quote pulled from first page of google but when visitng America i got the impression that salmon was very important to them.
Because they are. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are staples in the diet.

Giraffe

Neanderthal relics show that flaxseed was a staple of their diet.
I watched a documentary about Neanderthals the other day. They said that fertility was quite low. Don't know what it's worth.

Ellycat11

If anyone is interested in "Golden Age" stuff, I suggest checking out my thread: Aryanism, veganism, blood type, empathy and the Indo-European lie.

Brief summary: A guy on the internet thinks that most of our culture came from carb-eating farmers. He has some vegan dogmatism but apart from that his logic is pretty sound (and it could be the case that people were once vegan, for what it's worth). All in all though, he has some Peat-affinity--intellectually curious, pro-carb, leftist in some ways.

He maintains that the farmer diet selects for a noble, kind, intellectual behavioral type. While the hunter diet selects for a power-seeking, "might makes right" archetype. The lack of veganism among modern cultures could be due to the vegan farmers inevitably overtaken by the aggressive meat-eating hunters (and mixed with them).

Lactose tolerance hints at this. There are dozens, even hundreds of genes for it. But in Europe, there are only 2 (12+ discovered in Africa).
And what's more, these 2 genes were completely absent in indigenous Europeans (WHG). But after the Anatolian and Yamnaya invasions (both had Middle Eastern ancestry), this gene appears, and gets selected extremely rapidly to 100% in many areas.

This RAPID and AGGRESSIVE evolution only makes sense in one context: It was a way to extract more calories, particularly more CARBOHYDRATES, from milk.

Africa has many different weak lactose genes,
which add up to the same effect. This is BC most of time, digesting lactose is unnecessary in Africa (you can always eat fruits/plants for carbs).
Europe has only 1 strong one. In Europe, the environment has few carbs. EXCEPT FOR MILK. So whoever can digest these carbs, has a HUGE ADVANTAGE and outcompetes everyone else. And thus the gene is selected rapidly.

What we have now is exactly what you'd expect from the mixing of these "farmer" and "hunter" types. We lack the absolute violence and mortality of hunter gatherers. But all the same, we also have fallen far from the Golden Age of the farmers. Because we are all mixed somewhere in between
Very interesting. What I’ve personally noticed from being in vegetarian/vegan vs more animal based food communities is a huge difference in personality traits. I’m almost fully convinced hormonal profiles and body structures are tied to personality traits. I love Carl Jung’s takes on the cognitive functions and I’ve noticed a huge distinction between the main coins, a power, dominance seeking personality with more bottom line thinking vs more cooperative communal, maybe more philosophical approach to living. Dr. K, a psychiatrist from Healthy Gamer describes the Ayurvedic doshas as almost personality types and how each type benefits from a specific diet which is so different from a one size fits all model that is common in western medicine and how medical studies are modeled. And it just so happens Jung was inspired by the doshas and created his theory of cognitive functions. I think it’s very transformative when people can step out of these black and white modes of thinking.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom