What does it mean when Thiamine is the only thing that removes my water retention?

undecided0

I have mild and sometimes moderate water retention throughout my whole body most days. I’ve also been prescribed Bactrim as a child for an infection I had. I know this can mess up thiamine metabolism.

If nothing else works (I could post everything but it’d be long) but Thiamine is it possible to have thiamine blockage?

Thiamine works like a weight loss drug for me, usually drop 10-15 lbs in the first month (it’s not really fat, mostly water) of 500mg daily every time I decide to take it for awhile. I usually stop because I don’t fully understand how to take it long term safely. it makes me feel really good mentally.
Possible blocked thiamine function?

LLight

?

Smelly5

I too find thiamine (TTFD) drastically and quickly lowers my water retention. Usually 50-100mg.
Magnesium, Vitamin K are other supplements that seem to help as well.

My understanding is that Thiamine at higher doses stops the breakdown of Carbon Dioxide. So, effects independent of anything to do with B1 deffiency can be at play.
What form are you taking? @undecided0

Take note of how many times the words "carbon dioxide" are mentioned in this article; Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging
(Quite a few times :P)

If you're taking it long term, it's best to make sure you're getting enough of all other nutrients.
Liver, oysters, milk.

Thiamine suppmentation to me feels the same/very similar to supplementing with Pyruvate.

mostlylurking

I have mild and sometimes moderate water retention throughout my whole body most days. I’ve also been prescribed Bactrim as a child for an infection I had. I know this can mess up thiamine metabolism.

If nothing else works (I could post everything but it’d be long) but Thiamine is it possible to have thiamine blockage?

Thiamine works like a weight loss drug for me, usually drop 10-15 lbs in the first month (it’s not really fat, mostly water) of 500mg daily every time I decide to take it for awhile. I usually stop because I don’t fully understand how to take it long term safely. it makes me feel really good mentally.
Possible blocked thiamine function?
Yes, Bactrim will block thiamine function. Here's an article: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

When I took Bactrim summer of 2020, it blocked my thiamine function and the functional blockage didn't just resolve on its own. Six months later I was in big trouble with severe lactic acidosis because my metabolic function couldn't work properly without thiamine. I solved the problem with high dose thiamine hcl. I'm still taking 2 grams/day and doing very well. I take 1 gram in the morning and another gram around 3:00pm. If taken later in the day it can cause sleep problems (it lowers blood sugar, resulting in elevated adrenaline which wakes you up). Thiamine hcl is considered a safe supplement. I packed on 25 pounds in a month after taking the Bactrim because everything I ate (1% milk with a little sugar plus hydrolyzed gelatin and oranges mainly) went into fat storage because it couldn't be burned as fuel without thiamine. I've lost the 25 pounds now (18 months later) since being on the high dose thiamine plus some niacinamide and riboflavin. I take other B's as well.

Other things wreak havoc with thiamine function, including coffee and tea and many pharmaceutical drugs including some antibiotics. Too much sugar will use thiamine up and cause a deficiency. Some people are born with enzymes that have a weak affinity for their cofactor thiamine; if the body is flooded with thiamine, the enzymes are able to work properly in spite of the weak affinity. Heavy metal poisoning (lead, mercury) uses up the available thiamine and high dose thiamine is needed for there to be enough thiamine to maintain health. I'm living with lead poisoning which makes me need additional thiamine so getting thiamine function blocked via Bactrim really messed me up.

If you suspect you have a thiamine issue like a functional blockage, it would be important to learn about thiamine. There's a lot of info on line. I found Elliot Overton's videos about thiamine very helpful. Here's a link: If you watch this on Youtube, there is a list of the other videos by Elliot Overton lined up to play in sequence. These are pretty long and technical; I found them very helpful.
View: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZPlb2-Xf5TzYhS2h-bXD4q8TBWRjub-D
. I also found Dr. Derrick Lonsdale's articles very helpful: You searched for Dr Derrick Lonsdale - Hormones Matter Both of these people like TTFD thiamine and recommend it. I couldn't tolerate it because my glutathione was low and TTFD uses glutathione to work. I use thiamine hcl instead; it actually increases glutathione and my level is now normal.

I also found Dr. Costantini's website very helpful: HIGH-D0SE THIAMINE (HDT) THERAPY for Parkinson's Disease, especially the Therapy section: HDT Therapy and the FAQs: FAQ He treated Parkinson's disease patients with high dose thiamine hcl and had some patients who had taken it for as long as 7 years. He considered it a safe treatment.

This article discusses safety: Thiamine hydrochloride Note that the negative reactions cited are from thiamine either injected or taken as an IV; nothing noted about issues of taking thiamine hcl orally.

Last edited:
OP
undecided0

undecided0

Yes, Bactrim will block thiamine function. Here's an article: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

When I took Bactrim summer of 2020, it blocked my thiamine function and the functional blockage didn't just resolve on its own. Six months later I was in big trouble with severe lactic acidosis because my metabolic function couldn't work properly without thiamine. I solved the problem with high dose thiamine hcl. I'm still taking 2 grams/day and doing very well. I take 1 gram in the morning and another gram around 3:00pm. If taken later in the day it can cause sleep problems (it lowers blood sugar, resulting in elevated adrenaline which wakes you up). Thiamine hcl is considered a safe supplement. I packed on 25 pounds in a month after taking the Bactrim because everything I ate (1% milk with a little sugar plus hydrolyzed gelatin and oranges mainly) went into fat storage because it couldn't be burned as fuel without thiamine. I've lost the 25 pounds now (18 months later) since being on the high dose thiamine plus some niacinamide and riboflavin. I take other B's as well.

Other things wreak havoc with thiamine function, including coffee and tea and many pharmaceutical drugs including some antibiotics. Too much sugar will use thiamine up and cause a deficiency. Some people are born with enzymes that have a weak affinity for their cofactor thiamine; if the body is flooded with thiamine, the enzymes are able to work properly in spite of the weak affinity. Heavy metal poisoning (lead, mercury) uses up the available thiamine and high dose thiamine is needed for there to be enough thiamine to maintain health. I'm living with lead poisoning which makes me need additional thiamine so getting thiamine function blocked via Bactrim really messed me up.

If you suspect you have a thiamine issue like a functional blockage, it would be important to learn about thiamine. There's a lot of info on line. I found Elliot Overton's videos about thiamine very helpful. Here's a link: If you watch this on Youtube, there is a list of the other videos by Elliot Overton lined up to play in sequence. These are pretty long and technical; I found them very helpful.

. I also found Dr. Derrick Lonsdale's articles very helpful: You searched for Dr Derrick Lonsdale - Hormones Matter Both of these people like TTFD thiamine and recommend it. I couldn't tolerate it because my glutathione was low and TTFD uses glutathione to work. I use thiamine hcl instead; it actually increases glutathione and my level is now normal.

I also found Dr. Costantini's website very helpful: HIGH-D0SE THIAMINE (HDT) THERAPY for Parkinson's Disease, especially the Therapy section: HDT Therapy and the FAQs: FAQ He treated Parkinson's disease patients with high dose thiamine hcl and had some patients who had taken it for as long as 7 years. He considered it a safe treatment.

This article discusses safety: Thiamine hydrochloride Note that the negative reactions cited are from thiamine either injected or taken as an IV; nothing noted about issues of taking thiamine hcl orally.

What’s interesting to me is how the effects from Bactrim lasted way after stopping, I figured it would just block thiamine while you’re still taking it. I distinctly remember telling my mother that this medicine made me feel very strange.

I’m glad it worked out for you. Anything to look out for if I want to try out long-term supplementation? It’s HCL form by the way

mostlylurking

What’s interesting to me is how the effects from Bactrim lasted way after stopping, I figured it would just block thiamine while you’re still taking it. I distinctly remember telling my mother that this medicine made me feel very strange.

I’m glad it worked out for you. Anything to look out for if I want to try out long-term supplementation? It’s HCL form by the way

Do a search for "thiamine and cancer". Quite a few things come up. They do not agree with each other.
High-dose vitamin B1 reduces proliferation in cancer cell lines analogous to dichloroacetate - PubMed Conclusion: Our findings suggest that high-dose thiamine reduces cancer cell proliferation by a mechanism similar to that described for dichloroacetate.

Excess Thiamine May Help Tumor Growth, Research Shows Title: "Excess Thiamine May Help Tumor Growth, Research Shows"

and this one:
"There is ever increasing evidence that energy metabolism is involved in the causation of cancer. A phenomenon known as the Warburg effect has been known for a century and was thought by Warburg to be the cause of cancer. To summarize this effect, normal cells primarily produce energy by the consumption of oxygen in a complex mechanism known as oxidative phosphorylation. This involves the consumption of glucose as fuel. The Warburg effect is because most cancer cells produce energy through a high rate of glucose metabolism by fermentation, even though there is abundant oxygen present. This is a less efficient method of producing energy, an effect that has been much studied but whose mechanism still remains unclear."

and this: Lactate vs. CO2 in wounds, sickness, and aging; the other approach to cancer
"Warburg Effect" refers to Otto Warburg's observation that cancer cells produce lactic acid even in the presence of adequate oxygen. Cancer cells don't "live on glucose," since they are highly adapted to survive on protein and fats."

Ray Peat's view on cancer makes sense to me. I know I feel healthy when I take high dose thiamine hcl. I know I feel like I'm stuck in Warburg's "cancer metabolism" when I don't take it. So I've decided to do what makes me feel better. I've got lead poisoning which requires increased thiamine. Not everybody has that problem but it's a lot more common than most people think.

OP
undecided0

undecided0

Do a search for "thiamine and cancer". Quite a few things come up. They do not agree with each other.
High-dose vitamin B1 reduces proliferation in cancer cell lines analogous to dichloroacetate - PubMed Conclusion: Our findings suggest that high-dose thiamine reduces cancer cell proliferation by a mechanism similar to that described for dichloroacetate.

Excess Thiamine May Help Tumor Growth, Research Shows Title: "Excess Thiamine May Help Tumor Growth, Research Shows"

and this one:
"There is ever increasing evidence that energy metabolism is involved in the causation of cancer. A phenomenon known as the Warburg effect has been known for a century and was thought by Warburg to be the cause of cancer. To summarize this effect, normal cells primarily produce energy by the consumption of oxygen in a complex mechanism known as oxidative phosphorylation. This involves the consumption of glucose as fuel. The Warburg effect is because most cancer cells produce energy through a high rate of glucose metabolism by fermentation, even though there is abundant oxygen present. This is a less efficient method of producing energy, an effect that has been much studied but whose mechanism still remains unclear."

and this: Lactate vs. CO2 in wounds, sickness, and aging; the other approach to cancer
"Warburg Effect" refers to Otto Warburg's observation that cancer cells produce lactic acid even in the presence of adequate oxygen. Cancer cells don't "live on glucose," since they are highly adapted to survive on protein and fats."

Ray Peat's view on cancer makes sense to me. I know I feel healthy when I take high dose thiamine hcl. I know I feel like I'm stuck in Warburg's "cancer metabolism" when I don't take it. So I've decided to do what makes me feel better. I've got lead poisoning which requires increased thiamine. Not everybody has that problem but it's a lot more common than most people think.
thanks for the thorough responses. Would you say that at your final dose thiamine remained effective without losing its effect?

mostlylurking

thanks for the thorough responses. Would you say that at your final dose thiamine remained effective without losing its effect?
Yes. The 2 grams/day of thiamine hcl is still working very well for me, after being on it for about 15 months. According to Dr. Costantini's website, 2 grams/day of thiamine hcl for 7 days = one 100mg injection of thiamine hcl weekly. There's a gut absorption issue with using thiamine hcl orally so a higher dose is needed to equal the injection method. link: HDT Therapy

About 14 months ago, I did try taking 2.5 grams of thiamine hcl for one day. That night, I got shooting electrical zapping pains in my thighs when I was trying to go to sleep. That's a sign that I took too much so I stuck with the 2 gram daily dose which for me causes no negative side effects.

peso27

Thiamine completely reverses any water weight or retention of water that I may have. I am highly sensitive to estrogenic herbs and foods such as black beans, soy, flax seed, and chia seeds. Two or more days of eating these foods cause me to retain water, increases my heart rate, ED, increases blood pressure, dramatically lowers blood pressure, gives me headaches, increases cold hands, feet, and head, lowers libido, increases pressure and pain in neck. Thiamine completely reverses these symptoms. Thiamine completely resolves my low body temperature and brings it to normal, abolishes headaches, cold pains in stomach, lowers blood pressure to normal, restores body heat, reverse pains due to cold. Thiamine helps my estrogen dominance immensely.

OP
undecided0

undecided0

Thiamine completely reverses any water weight or retention of water that I may have. I am highly sensitive to estrogenic herbs and foods such as black beans, soy, flax seed, and chia seeds. Two or more days of eating these foods cause me to retain water, increases my heart rate, ED, increases blood pressure, dramatically lowers blood pressure, gives me headaches, increases cold hands, feet, and head, lowers libido, increases pressure and pain in neck. Thiamine completely reverses these symptoms. Thiamine completely resolves my low body temperature and brings it to normal, abolishes headaches, cold pains in stomach, lowers blood pressure to normal, restores body heat, reverse pains due to cold. Thiamine helps my estrogen dominance immensely.
Does this still work for you?
I seem to be like you. I am discovering more and more that I live two lives: one with Thiamine and one without. For whatever reason no other method of improving my metabolism works BUT a proper diet is necessary for thiamine supplementation to work. Not enough B vitamins/Mg/K are the biggest ones for me, more so than having enough carbs. I find it easy to take 500mg Thiamine HCl on less than 400 calories and be fine until dinner time. As long as I am consistent with high nutrient intake when I do actually eat. But I still eat 3000+ calories anyways.

Thiamine potently improves all aspects of health, especially mental and sexual. I have had it stop working after a while but that trial I completely stopped caring about my diet when a bunch of difficult life problems came up. Acutely, Mg and K affect my ability to enjoy Thiamines effects, and B vitamins long-term.

Vinny

wow

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals