What does eggs offer to be important part of the diet?

Uselis

I failed to find older threads with clear explanation. If one drinks milk and eats liver 1x/week what worthy stuff 1-2 eggs a day would provide? B12 and Selenium are what they contain most but milk takes care of those.

Sefton10

I see egg yolks as an excellent choline source, which I think is important if you are getting a good bit of fructose in the diet.

OP
U

Uselis

I see egg yolks as an excellent choline source, which I think is important if you are getting a good bit of fructose in the diet.
I don't have choline in cronometer it seems. Or is that perhaps Folate?

Either way, how much is enough? 1 egg/day?

Frankdee20

One egg only provides 150 mg or so of choline.... Adult Men need about 4-500 MG.... The next best source is Liver, Cod, Chick Peas, Salmon, Soybeans ... Folate can be spared by Choline but it’s not the same thing... Choline is needed to conjugate fat out of the liver

B

Blaze

I don't have choline in cronometer it seems. Or is that perhaps Folate?

Either way, how much is enough? 1 egg/day?
2-3 eggs a day should be enough for Choline intake as other foods in your diet will contain additional amounts. Deficiency is rare. Supplementing it is a newer concept as choline was only very recently recognized as an essential nutrient in 1998. I would only supplement it if I had some Liver issues...other than that food should more than suffice.

I eat 3 eggs a day myself for choline and other benefits. Eggs are designed by nature to grow an entire organism from that egg , so you can imagine they have to be very nutritionally complete and anabolic to complete that task.

Last edited by a moderator:

YourUniverse

Milk is a pretty good source of choline, cronometer shows me I would get at least 800mg of choline from milk alone during certain periods of experimentation. I emailed Ray during one of these experiments where I was not eating eggs, and he asked, "Do you eat eggs?". This got me thinking if there is something special in eggs that isnt a cronometer-able component. A "health factor" or such. I've wondered before if this could be the cholesterol. One egg has significantly more cholesterol than many litres of milk, for example.

O

oldfriend

egg probably isn’t necessary when the diet already includes liver and large quantities of milk. You’re probably already at a surplus of protein, choline, vitamin A, etc. Maybe the cholesterol is beneficial, but I’m allergic to egg and seem to do just fine w/o.