What Does Cocaine The The Brain That Everybody Is So ******* Addicted?

Buttercup

As a former drug user I always found cocaine an overrated & shallow substance. Like, what is the point of getting 'high', and as thirty minutes passes you already need to 'top up'. And if you don't 'top up', you start feeling quite horrible (irritable, pining and approaching a deteriorating condition which is way below baseline). You blow through a gram in under an hour. That's £50 gone, and you then need more. That's fun?

At least with MDMA it is a more deeply profound experience/journey, which you can sit back & actually get something from.

Even when I was previously offered cocaine by friends, I would always reject it.

Ah, the pre-high. This happened when I was toking frequently. I could be in a bad mood, decide to call my dealer and thenthe anticipation of getting high would instantly make me feel better. Then after actually smoking I would think "meh this is not so awesome". I think large part of any addiction is determined by the mental concept you have of the the addicting activity and ignorance over how the real experience rarely matches this

You may be using a drug and thinking you perceive the experience the same way you did during the first time, but when you focus to the current experience it becomes clear that it remains too far to be even close to the first time.

Dopamine is the anticipation hormone as much as or more than it is the reward hormone.

It rewards you for engaging in an action that could lead to a pleasurable outcome be it getting ***** or getting high.

Frankdee20

I recall reading Ray Peat's articles how a certain 5ht receptor is very involved in drug addiction. Either due to its interaction with other systems, or its euphoria induction directly.

biggirlkisss

he talks about a small amount being of benefit but large amount very stressful to the body.

Frankdee20

Yeah, that's Serotonin in general. I believe 5ht1A receptors have been linked to psychostimulant abuse on Pubmed.

Frankdee20

The crash is absolutely horrible and I think the crash from snorting is worse than injecting.... I’ve used cocaine in both ways...

biggirlkisss

so when you do cocaine most people eat less but within that 20 minutes would you eat more cause dopamine up prolactin estrogen down.

redsun

so when you do cocaine most people eat less but within that 20 minutes would you eat more cause dopamine up prolactin estrogen down.

Dopamine actually doesnt make you eat more. Cocaine stimulates the brain like little else and you don't want to eat with such high amounts of stimulation. Thats why a lot of hardcore stimulants even just caffeine can suppress appetite.

Frankdee20

The crash still won’t make you hungry yet... Even though the high is 20 minutes at best from snorting, the after effects include depression, anxiety, intense craving for more Cocaine, fatigue, loss of appetite... If you only have a few lines, I’d say in about an hour or two, you are back to baseline... If you’ve been partying for the day, the crash will feel awful and almost suicidal ...

K

Kratos

I read that cocaine can heal the brain after benzo use but if reversed you can get brain damage.

Frankdee20

I read that cocaine can heal the brain after benzo use but if reversed you can get brain damage.

Hmm ... I’m not doubting you read that... It just seems counterintuitive to me

Frankdee20

Ya the coca leaf meant be helpful.

That is the natural state with less than one percent alkaloid .... Plus the method of ingestion is orally and under the gums. It won’t cause problems like isolated Cocaine alkaloid

PATB

Cocaine really isn't addictive at all unless you have deeper issues which you're using it to mask. I've noticed people who are easily addicted to weed are easily addicted to cocaine, but people not addicted to weed can socially use cocaine without risk

Hell even sugar is 10x more addictive than cocaine at least from SWIM. Don't mess with meth though or crack or IV anything
The word "addiction" is thrown around all over the place, as little more than a scientific-sounding swear-word uttered by DSM-IV thumpers.

How can sugar, a macronutrient, be "addictive"? Are breathing and sleeping also addictive?

Cocaine "addiction" at least in the short term is just chasing a previous high. Unlike some things such as benzos, you don't have to take them daily.

Doing some cocaine occasionally and then wanting to do more after isn't "addicted" because there is no chemical dependence, except a really strong desire to take another dose.

I don't really like powder cocaine. It's too expensive, every time I have ever been offered some it wasn't good. I have sinus issues and possibly a deviated septum, so snorting things doesn't really work for me. I would only get negative effects from it, no euphoria.

The weed / coke combination I can see as they are social/party drugs. Like snorting cocaine, I don't really enjoy smoking weed, although I have done socially. Sometimes it gives me anxiety. Other people say it calms them down and helps them sleep - cannabis keeps me awake and can make me more paranoid & anxious.

It all depends on the person. I think some occasional recreational drugs can have beneficial effects. But chemical dependence should be avoided unless you have carefully weighed the pros/cons -- here I am speaking for chronic weed or tobacco smokers, as well as a few other controlled substances with medicinal qualities.

Last edited: