What do you yall think allows turtles to live so long? METABOLISM?

GorillaHead

So turtles are pretty fascinating animals. They age very slowly and apparently one of the biggest theories has to do with them being cold blooded and their metabolisms being slow?
kinda sound anti peat.

any ideas?

Michael Mohn

I guess it's high CO2 due to air retention during diving. All sea mammals have a higher life expectancy than comparable sized fish or land animals I heard. I saw a report on women diver in Japan, picking up seafood. One women in particular was very old and she had not a wrinkle, good skin, full black hair and physically fit. She had only hearing problems due to the water pressure during diving. The high salt enviroment certainly helps too.

Last edited:
apparently one of the biggest theories has to do with them being cold blooded and their metabolisms being slow?
Have never seen a turtle around here in my region.
Lets throw a Hummingbird and a turtle, both bound, into snow. We can see then who "ages faster"

Sila

Most likely due to their low respiration rate causing them to retain high amounts of co2.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

I guess it's high CO2 due to air retention during diving. All sea mammals have a higher life expectancy than comparable sized fish or land animals I heard. I saw a report on women diver in Japan, picking up seafood. One women in particular was very old and she had not a wrinkle, good skin, full black hair and physically fit. She had only hearing problems due to the water pressure during diving. The high salt enviroment certainly helps too.
Very interesting it all seems to converge on c02. This is essential

revenant

I don't know about that; tortoises (which live on land) live longer than sea turtles.

CO2 could be a factor why these divers live long, or it could be the exercise, or it could be the diet.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

The average life span is highest for japan and monaco.

whats interesting is the people that live the longest in japan live over 1000 feet above sea level. The nagano people. C02 may definitely play a part.

the swiss hold number 2 or 3 i beleive and they are also very high above sea level

Michael Mohn

I don't know about that; tortoises (which live on land) live longer than sea turtles.

CO2 could be a factor why these divers live long, or it could be the exercise, or it could be the diet.
Eating tons of fresh seafood probably helps too. Certainly there are a lot of confounding factors.

Don

Giant land tortoise Aldabra and Galapagos can live 200 years i am not sure about how long sea turltes live, the largest is the leather back goggle say estimates are 50, but i bet its way longer. Parrots can live a long time too, in 2004 winston churchhills macaw was still alive it was 104. Bowhead whale 200 years.
Not sure why, some cold blooded some warm some cold environments while others tropical or hot. Some hibernate some dont. Lots of smart people on here to throw out some thoughts.

revenant

The exceptional longevity of the naked mole rat (30 years vs ~3.5 years for mice) supports the carbon dioxide idea, since they live underground where there's low oxygen but high CO2.

So turtles are pretty fascinating animals. They age very slowly and apparently one of the biggest theories has to do with them being cold blooded and their metabolisms being slow?
kinda sound anti peat.

any ideas?

No "breathless exercise"! ?

boris

kinda sound anti peat.

any ideas?

They are ectothermic. Their metabolism is dependent on the surrounding temperature. In high temperature, they have a high metabolism. I think the idea that turtles/tortoises live long because of low metabolism is a confusion derived from the rate of living theory.

Zerdusht

There is no more dangerous error than to confound the effect with the cause: I call this error the intrinsic perversion of reason. Nevertheless this error is one of the most ancient and most recent habits of mankind. In one part of the world it has even been canonised; and it bears the name of "Religion" and "Morality." Every postulate formulated by religion and morality contains it Priests and the promulgators of moral laws are the promoters of this perversion of reason.—Let me give you an example. Everybody knows the book of the famous Cornaro, in which he recommends his slender diet as the recipe for a long, happy and also virtuous life. Few books have been so widely read, and to this day many thousand copies of it are still printed annually in England. I do not doubt that there is scarcely a single book (the Bible of course excepted) that has worked more mischief, shortened more lives, than this well-meant curiosity. The reason of this is the confusion of effect and cause. This worthy Italian saw the cause of his long life in his diet: whereas the prerequisites of long life, which are exceptional slowness of molecular change, and a low rate of expenditure in energy, were the cause of his meagre diet. He was not at liberty to eat a small or a great amount. His frugality was not the result of free choice, he would have been ill had he eaten more. He who does not happen to be a carp, however, is not only wise to eat well, but is also compelled to do so. A scholar of the present day, with his rapid consumption of nervous energy, would soon go to the dogs on Cornaro's diet.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols

Much to think about!

boris

There is no more dangerous error than to confound the effect with the cause: I call this error the intrinsic perversion of reason. Nevertheless this error is one of the most ancient and most recent habits of mankind. In one part of the world it has even been canonised; and it bears the name of "Religion" and "Morality." Every postulate formulated by religion and morality contains it Priests and the promulgators of moral laws are the promoters of this perversion of reason.—Let me give you an example. Everybody knows the book of the famous Cornaro, in which he recommends his slender diet as the recipe for a long, happy and also virtuous life. Few books have been so widely read, and to this day many thousand copies of it are still printed annually in England. I do not doubt that there is scarcely a single book (the Bible of course excepted) that has worked more mischief, shortened more lives, than this well-meant curiosity. The reason of this is the confusion of effect and cause. This worthy Italian saw the cause of his long life in his diet: whereas the prerequisites of long life, which are exceptional slowness of molecular change, and a low rate of expenditure in energy, were the cause of his meagre diet. He was not at liberty to eat a small or a great amount. His frugality was not the result of free choice, he would have been ill had he eaten more. He who does not happen to be a carp, however, is not only wise to eat well, but is also compelled to do so. A scholar of the present day, with his rapid consumption of nervous energy, would soon go to the dogs on Cornaro's diet.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols

Much to think about!

I think Nietzsche fell into his own fallacy. Cornaro eating little because of a low metabolism makes perfect sense, but that doesn't mean a low metabolism was the cause of his long life. Cornaro also lied about his actual age Luigi Cornaro - Wikipedia. He only lived to an average age (82) by today's measure (the average was lower in the past because of infant deaths).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6BGjBrLeA

"There is an old doctrine around the beginning of the 20th century, they called it the rate of living theory, that the faster your heart beats the sooner you would die, and the experiment that defined that and proved it for so many people, was to put some canteloupe seeds in a dish in a saucer of water and watch them sprout. The ones that sprouted the soonest, grew the fastest, died soonest..... but they didn't put any soil [....] It's just an embarassement for science. It's like if you gave a person all the thyroid they needed, but no food, naturally they would die quicker."

Last edited:

gaze

I think Nietzsche fell into his own fallacy. Cornaro eating little because of a low metabolism makes perfect sense, but that doesn't mean a low metabolism was the cause of his long life. Cornaro also lied about his actual age Luigi Cornaro - Wikipedia. He only lived to an average age (82) by today's measure (the average was lower in the past because of infant deaths).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6BGjBrLeA

"There is an old doctrine around the beginning of the 20th century, they called it the rate of living theory, that the faster your heart beats the sooner you would die, and the experiment that defined that and proved it for so many people, was to put some canteloupe seeds in a dish in a saucer of water and watch them sprout. The ones that sprouted the soonest, grew the fastest, died soonest..... but they didn't put any soil [....] It's just an embarassement for science. It's like if you gave a person all the thyroid they needed, but no food, naturally they would die quicker."

it seems as if nietzsche was thinking of a high metabolism in the sense of nervous energy wasting energy, which indeed is a high metabolic rate, albeit an unhealthy one fueled by stress and adrenaline. Nietzsche seemed to enjoy the concept of "burning out", given his praise of dionysus, so he preferred to use a tremendous amount of mental energy even if it came alongside stress. on the flip side of that in the case of a low metabolism, one that that doesn't "waste energy" by being low in stress, adrenaline, and nervousness, does allow one to live much longer, although nietzsche would consider it a contemptable since it also doesn't produce a lot of creativity.

thyroid changes the entire paradigm, becauses it allows one to have a high rate of energy usage, without any of the stress, so you get someone who's vastly creative and has a quick mind, yet isn't burned out. All the signs at least to me indicate nietzsche had a highly uncoupled, stress metabolism, which like peat until he first tried thyroid, allowed him to eat a tremendous amount of food and have intense mental acuity, but came along with adrenaline and severe health problems. I think ray said he had eating 8000 calories a day when he was active as a kid, because he was so hypothyroid that his body was burning off the fuel without making proper usage of it, yet obviously it created a very intelligent brain at the same time. nietzsche too had an incredible mind, but he was all but mentally burned out by his 40s, and died soon after

Last edited:

cedric

I think it could be low oxygen, high CO2,
melanins,
maybe infrared from reflecting turtle shell?
earthing/grounding, silica, iodine,lithium,boron ?
no doctors, medicines and vaccines.

I think it could be low oxygen, high CO2,
melanins,
maybe infrared from reflecting turtle shell?
earthing/grounding, silica, iodine,lithium,boron ?
no doctors, medicines and vaccines.
Oh I like that list! Interesting about the low oxygen (bag breathing) and the doctors ha! Probably all the anti-gravity and relaxing slow motions too (Tai Chi).

cedric

Oh I like that list! Interesting about the low oxygen (bag breathing) and the doctors ha! Probably all the anti-gravity and relaxing slow motions too (Tai Chi).
I like you mentioned Tai Chi.
I would add that RNA is more oxidised form of DNA by the means of Ribose compared to DEOXY-Ribose. So aging could be called oxidation of DNA. Guanine is destroyed by nitrosative stress and adenine is tranformed to antioxidant (uric acd) lowering iron toxicity. Ribose serves to help regenerate /save nucleotides/ATP.
Low iron diet of turtles could be an issue.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals