What Do You Think Would Be The Ideal Environment For A Rat? Specifically In Regards To LIGHT

boris

I assume they sleep most of the day.

Melatonin has a different role in nocturnal animals than in humans.

Would an almost completely dark room be beneficial?

Should they have contact to natural sunlight while they sleep or would that be stressful for them?

Would they benefit from bright incandescent lights at night when they are active?

At what time of the day would pure red light be beneficial to them?

----

Any insights or ideas :)?

RWilly

My rat lived for 3 years. I had several bird cages that I connected together so that he had multiple cages and platforms. In one of the cages I had a little hut made out of a box, which gave him plenty of darkness. That's where he usually slept. He was still quite active throughout the day. And as I mentioned in the other thread, we would often go on outdoor walks during the day. He often got out of his cage at night, and would crawl into my bed and sleep there during the night with me.

I have a wild rat that lives in a garden bed outside, and I periodically see him scampering around during the day. He's probably more active at night, but he still has daytime activity.

OP
boris

boris

Interesting, so during the day a dark place with access to daylight if they so choose seems appropriate.

I wonder most if (and when) incandescents and red light would be good for them.
Or if darkness would be the least stressful for them at night.

RWilly

You can probably do a little experiment, where he has access to a red LED light if he wants it, as well as an option of complete darkness. I wouldn't force the red light on him.

On a side note, he loved dried dog food as a treat.