What do you think causes the tremoring seen in PTSD and armoring treatments?

Peatogenic

If you're aware of neurogenic tremoring or Fitzmaurice Technique, you get into positions which induce involuntary tremors. This is thought to be a release of sorts.

For me, it's kind of like letting go. When I fully let go, I start writhing kind of violently. Like the tremors are so intense I feel I could break my neck.

Chronic tension? Armored tension? I think that Wilhelm Reich may have been the first to explore armoring, and nowadays, somatic bodywork likes to emphasize how animals in the wild start to shake under extreme stress. The theory is that humans are more prone to blocking this.

And that physically makes sense to me. But I don't really buy holding onto this tension forever, as if it needs to be released. But I don't really know, and I don't know what would cause this tremoring even just doing various exercises geared around it. Mostly altered yoga positions.

I've asked RP if the body stores trauma and he said it doesn't. Lol.

cgh4444

Where else would “trauma” be stored if not in the body? Ray obviously knows a lot about a lot but has some really whacky thoughts on certain things for sure.

your own experience is telling you that the nervous system has an innate capacity for this type of thing.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

Where else would “trauma” be stored if not in the body? Ray obviously knows a lot about a lot but has some really whacky thoughts on certain things for sure.

your own experience is telling you that the nervous system has an innate capacity for this type of thing.

My own experience is not telling me that when I'm tremoring that I'm releasing stressors from decades ago, but it's a compelling thought. I feel like there might be other explanations.

"Stored" is a tricky word, too. Obviously our environments can damage our bodies. Does that mean it's stored? The trauma community speaks of storage in a much more nebulous sense. Like storing the event, the memory of the event, literally in your tissues.

And if the body has been damaged and started a stress loop, could you be "releasing" a loop, but not necessarily the trauma itself?

cgh4444

My own experience is not telling me that when I'm tremoring that I'm releasing stressors from decades ago, but it's a compelling thought. I feel like there might be other explanations.

"Stored" is a tricky word, too. Obviously our environments can damage our bodies. Does that mean it's stored? The trauma community speaks of storage in a much more nebulous sense. Like storing the event, the memory of the event, literally in your tissues.

And if the body has been damaged and started a stress loop, could you be "releasing" a loop, but not necessarily the trauma itself?

of course youre not releasing trauma from
Decades ago with only a few sesssions of whatever modality you are using. The only real way to verify if it’s a real thing is to pick some bodywork modality that actually works(difficult to find) and stick with it for awhile and see what happens.

also if it’s something you’re truly interested in pursuing I’d advise not to get too stuck on words or labels. People can spend years battling “trauma” , it’s like a badge of honor or something. Would you agree the body at the very least “stores” or harbors tension? Both chronic and acute?

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

of course youre not releasing trauma from
Decades ago with only a few sesssions of whatever modality you are using. The only real way to verify if it’s a real thing is to pick some bodywork modality that actually works(difficult to find) and stick with it for awhile and see what happens.

also if it’s something you’re truly interested in pursuing I’d advise not to get too stuck on words or labels. People can spend years battling “trauma” , it’s like a badge of honor or something. Would you agree the body at the very least “stores” or harbors tension? Both chronic and acute?
My original question was curiosity about what this involuntary tremoring is, physiologically. I'm specifically questioning labels by bringing attention to what it might be physiologically. I don't know that the body stores tension from decades ago, but I know it holds tension. And even more, is tremoring a releasing of tension? Just a lot of questions, honestly.

cgh4444

My original question was curiosity about what this involuntary tremoring is, physiologically. I'm specifically questioning labels by bringing attention to what it might be physiologically. I don't know that the body stores tension from decades ago, but I know it holds tension. And even more, is tremoring a releasing of tension? Just a lot of questions, honestly.

yes the tremoring is releasing tension.I’m not sure what words you are looking for? You could just as well say it’s releasing stress, both acute and with the right breathing and bodywork -chronic. Just look at an old persons fixed posture-especially facially for examples of how the body can get stuck in a chronically tensed/fused state. This has a feedback on bothe the brain and nervous system- from a practical standpoint you can’t seperate any of them they all feed back on each other.

but like I said you have to verify these things yourself. Most people think it’s cool and exciting to feel the release and the energy flow resulting from it but will soon forget about the whole thing and not go deeper where the real benefits lie.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

yes the tremoring is releasing tension.I’m not sure what words you are looking for? You could just as well say it’s releasing stress, both acute and with the right breathing and bodywork -chronic. Just look at an old persons fixed posture-especially facially for examples of how the body can get stuck in a chronically tensed/fused state. This has a feedback on bothe the brain and nervous system- from a practical standpoint you can’t seperate any of them they all feed back on each other.

but like I said you have to verify these things yourself. Most people think it’s cool and exciting to feel the release and the energy flow resulting from it but will soon forget about the whole thing and not go deeper where the real benefits lie.

Ok, I've been tremoring off and on over the years, and more consistently recently. I just find it interesting the involuntary tremors and question my assumptions about them because I don't yet know what they are. Or they seem complex. Like the full mechanics of it. Isnt tension part of structure? Is tremoring cleaning out tension or feeding off of natural and healthy tension. Is it coming from particular muscles, fascia? On some days, I can tell my endocrine state changes my armoring state, so are there multiple ways of releasing whatever this is? Sometimes thinking in a different way resolves "tension". Those kinds of questions. I'm not requiring you to go in depth, was just putting it out there. Because it's a mysterious subject for me.

cgh4444

Ok, I've been tremoring off and on over the years, and more consistently recently. I just find it interesting the involuntary tremors and question my assumptions about them because I don't yet know what they are. Or they seem complex. Like the full mechanics of it. Isnt tension part of structure? Is tremoring cleaning out tension or feeding off of natural and healthy tension. Is it coming from particular muscles, fascia? On some days, I can tell my endocrine state changes my armoring state, so are there multiple ways of releasing whatever this is? Sometimes thinking in a different way resolves "tension". Those kinds of questions. I'm not requiring you to go in depth, was just putting it out there. Because it's a mysterious subject for me.

they are complex. “Tension” is just shorthand for a very complex neurological -muscular-logical tangling that has occurred in the system. Ever wonder why you perform the same routines or behaviors over and over as if on autopilot? Start paying attention to your face in public or your shoulders and notice how they seemingly automatically tense up around other people even in totally safe environments— releasing stress hormones and blocking the free flow of energy.

its interesting to be curious about what exactly is happening with these things- but since no one really knows the complete nuero psychological picture to the degree they can totally explain it to you in exact detail- in the end it really means very little. What does matter is there are powerful methods available for unwinding the tension/stress/ fixed robotic nature and discovering there’s an entirely different yet familiar landscape underneath it all.

cgh4444

Sorry if I’m getting away from your point- I’ll bow out. I am just sensing you’re getting slightly lost in the intellectual side of all of it, but that could just be me reading your posts wrong. Good luck

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

Sorry if I’m getting away from your point- I’ll bow out. I am just sensing you’re getting slightly lost in the intellectual side of all of it, but that could just be me reading your posts wrong. Good luck

Yeah, I sensed that you had some issue with something or felt I was asking the wrong questions. I've had very powerful and reality-shifting experiences with tremoring, and maybe you thought I was not aware of its meaning or downplaying it or something. I experience and perceive, but I also question certain belief systems because I know they can be detrimental. Kind of like your warning about people resolving trauma as a badge of honor.

Back
Top Bottom