What do you think about this study?

Wilfrid

Hi all,

I know that Ray do not trust the plasma membrane theory and that it was already debunked by Gilbert Ling but still the protective effect of omega 3 in this study are a little confusing for me....
I knew already the deleterious effect of PUFA on the pyruvate dehydrogenase enzyme activity ( I read the study refering to the inhibition of this enzyme by PUFA consumption but it was the omega 6 that was used in this study not the omega 3), but I didn't find any accurate study refering to the deleterious effect of omega 3 on the thyroid gland...I'm also aware of the lipid's peroxydation problem but again what about be the direct negative effect of omega 3 on the gland and its production of hormones?

Any thought?

http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/c ... 9.full.pdf

J

j.

In his article oils in context he cites this study, which I think was the one he was talking about in an interview where he said all dietary PUFA is bad.

Terroine, E. F., et al., "Sur le signification physiologique des liaisons ethyleniques des acides gras," Bull. Soc. Chim. Biol. 9(5), 605-20, 1927.

OP
W

Wilfrid

j. said:
In his article oils in context he cites this study, which I think was the one he was talking about in an interview where he said all dietary PUFA is bad.

Terroine, E. F., et al., "Sur le signification physiologique des liaisons ethyleniques des acides gras," Bull. Soc. Chim. Biol. 9(5), 605-20, 1927.

When Ray said that all dietary PUFA is bad, I think that we need to look back to one of his previous book: " Nutrition for women".
In the chapter on " Colitis, regional enteritis...", he wrote that proteins like " eggs, chicken broth, sardines should not interfere with thyroid function...".
So, such kind of statement leaves me with only fews options:

1- RP didn't know, when he wrote the book, that sardine is a fatty fish loaded with PUFA and a
very good source of omega 3. But this explanation is very unlikely,no?

2- After all, omega 3 rich fatty fish like sardines,anchovies ect... are not so "dangerous" even for those with so critics conditions like auto-immune disease and/or with low thyroid function.

J

j.

Maybe he was referring to the protein content of those things, or he became more aware of the importance of keeping PUFA intake extremely low after writing the book.

4peatssake

Wilfrid said:
j. said:

When Ray said that all dietary PUFA is bad, I think that we need to look back to one of his previous book: " Nutrition for women".
In the chapter on " Colitis, regional enteritis...", he wrote that proteins like " eggs, chicken broth, sardines should not interfere with thyroid function...".
So, such kind of statement leaves me with only fews options:

1- RP didn't know, when he wrote the book, that sardine is a fatty fish loaded with PUFA and a
very good source of omega 3. But this explanation is very unlikely,no?

2- After all, omega 3 rich fatty fish like sardines,anchovies ect... are not so "dangerous" even for those with so critics conditions like auto-immune disease and/or with low thyroid function.
This is really something you should bring up with him.

That said, in the copy of Nutrition for Women that I have, he made some additional notes after reviewing it years later, which he said he does from time to time to see if he still agrees "with the orientation I had when I was writing it."

He has always maintained the toxicity of pufa and continues to do so. To suggest otherwise clearly misrepresents him and his work.

J

j.

4peatssake said:
To suggest otherwise clearly misrepresents him and his work.

Jesus Christ, no wonder some people started calling this forum a cult.