What Do You Think About OJ + Calcium And Vit D?

AnonE

I saw this guy at the grocery store and decided to give it a go: Minute Maid

Seems like a really nutrient-dense liquid, combining the best of OJ with a lot of calcium. And while I try and follow Peat dieting principles, I can never fit in both OJ and milk, or even that much cheese very consistently.

So what would be the pros/cons of something like this? Seems like a good nutrient combination from a Peat standpoint. The 1.75L carton I got has 2470mg of calcium according to cronometer (and ~700IU vit D), with the calcium being in the form of "tricalcium phosphate, calcium lactate, monocalcium phosphate". Maybe not the best forms of calcium, in fact I have no idea, but at that amount at least some decent portion should get absorbed and reduce my need to try and chug another liter of milk lol.

Thoughts?

lampofred

Calcium and phosphate are antagonists so that might not be the best form of calcium, and Peat says lactate is toxic

Even if calcium phosphate and calcium lactate were good forms of calcium, synthetic vitamins usually have a high potential to be allergenic

Last edited:
OP
A

AnonE

Source for those claims? Seems pretty serious to throw out there.

edit - about certain compounds being toxins.

OP
A

AnonE

Oh and semi-related but I'd love some ideas for calcium supplements then, because frankly I don't eat enough dairy.

I'm trying calcium bisglycinate at the moment, seems decent, and I think it comes with glycine if I understand correctly.

lampofred

I think Peat recommends eggshell calcium for people who aren't fans of dairy, which is calcium carbonate.

Tenacity

"The Crabtree effect, which is the suppression of respiration by glycolysis, is often described as the simple opposite of the Pasteur effect, in which respiration limits glycolysis to the rate that allows its product to be consumed oxidatively. But the Pasteur effect is a normal sort of control system; when the Pasteur effect fails, as in cancer, there is glycolysis which is relatively independent of respiration, causing sugar to be consumed inefficiently. Embryonic tissues sometimes behave in this manner, leading to the suggestion that glycolysis is closely related to growth. Unlike the logical Pasteur effect, the Crabtree effect tends to lower cellular energy and adaptability. Looking at many situations in which increasing the glucose supply increases lactic acid production and suppresses respiration, leading to maladaptive decrease in cellular energy, I have begun thinking of lactic acid as a toxin. The use of Ringer's lactate solution in medicine has led many people to assume that lactate must be beneficial, or they wouldn't put it in the salt solution that is often used in emergiencies; however, I think its use here, as a buffer, is simply a convenience, because of the instability of some bicarbonate solutions.

On the organismic level, it is clear that lactic acid is "the essence of hyperventilation," and that it produces edema and malfunction on a grand scale: The panic reaction, shock lung, vascular leakiness, brain swelling, and finally multiple organ failure, all can be traced to an excess of lactic acid, and the related features of hyperventilated physiology.

Otto Warburg apparently thought of lactate as simply a sign of the respiratory defect that characterizes cancer. V. S. Shapot at least hinted at its possible role in turning on the catabolic reactions leading to cancer cachexia (wasting). I think a good case can be made for lactate as the cause of the respiratory defect in cancer, just as it is usually the immediate cause of the respiratory derangement of hyperventilation on the organismic level."

Mitochondria and mortality

"Recent publications are showing that excess phosphate can increase inflammation, tissue atrophy, calcification of blood vessels, cancer, dementia, and, in general, the processes of aging. This is especially important, because of the increasing use of phosphates as food additives."

Phosphate, activation, and aging.

Wolf

Why not just add calcium carbonate to standard OJ alongside some magnesium bisglycinate? Works well for me. I salt it thereafter and all is well.

OP
A

AnonE

Thanks for the reference @Tenacity seems like this is low quality stuff then. Oh well.

Looks like I'll invest in calcium carbonate and the bisglycinate, unless anyone has anything against those =P

Birdie

You also have to take into account the stuff used to mix the vitamins or deliver them to the oj. In milk for example some have problems with the stuff used to suspend the vitamins. Anyway, sound like you are going in a better direction.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals