What Do You Make Of Lower Prolactin Correlates With Worse Health And Sex?

There are many studies showing high prolactin lowers sex drive. But this and a few other studies show opposite conclusions:

Low Prolactin Is Associated with Sexual Dysfunction and Psychological or Metabolic Disturbances in Middle‐Aged and Elderly Men: The European Male Aging Study (EMAS)
Low PRL is related to several metabolic, psychological, and sexual unhealthy characteristics in European men. Checking PRL might be useful to stratify men for cardiovascular risk and to encourage appropriate lifestyle changes. Corona G, Wu FC, Rastrelli G, Lee DM, Forti G, O'Connor DB, O'Neill TW, Pendleton N, Bartfai G, Boonen S, Casanueva FF, Finn JD, Huhtaniemi IT, Kula K, Punab M, Vanderschueren D, Rutter MK, Maggi M, and the EMAS Study Group. Low prolactin is associated with sexual dysfunction and psychological or metabolic disturbances in middle aged and elderly men: The European Male Aging Study (EMAS). J Sex Med 2014;11:240–253.

encerent

Could have low PRL because they're not having sex. They're not having sex because they're ugly from being unhealthy.

lvysaur

I don't think that prolactin and cortisol are bad. They're probably bad if they stay constantly high.

grenade

Prolactin seems to also be a "protectice factor" in diabetes.

What's interesting is that lactic acid is partly responsible for the rise in prolactin post-exercise.

Thiamine, which improves glucose control and lower lactic acid, would theoretically lower prolactin yet restore proper metabolic function.

Prolactin is probably helpful short term but definitely harmful long term, as are the other stress hormones.

raypeatclips

I wonder if it's because high prolactin is correlated with high estrogen. Peat says high estrogen can cause insatiable sexual desire. So people with low prolactin have "lower" sex drives compared to estrogen fuelled manic sex drives.

I can't work out from the study how they have determined what is good and bad sexual health?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I wonder if it's because high prolactin is correlated with high estrogen. Peat says high estrogen can cause insatiable sexual desire. So people with low prolactin have "lower" sex drives compared to estrogen fuelled manic sex drives.

I can't work out from the study how they have determined what is good and bad sexual health?

Is there any evidence to prove that super high Estrogen increases manic sex drive in men?

Arrade

I’ve never felt high sex drive with high estrogen
Very low estrogen gives harder erections

Luckytype

I’ve never felt high sex drive with high estrogen
Very low estrogen gives harder erections

Is this something you read or is it something youve measured objectively when you've experienced it? Have you ever gotten your body fat low enough to experience the effects of ultra low estrogen, assuming youre not chronically starving thus producing it via strss response. Respectfully, based on another interaction of ours im going to say no. There is considerably more to driving primal sexual response than modulating or measuring 1 hormone.

There is also considerable evidence that lower T, higher E leads to aggressive functioning sex drive versus the healthy inverse. Again though, not in a vacuum.

paymanz

Speculation:

If prolactin and other stress hormones like nitric oxide are meant to be protective when better options are not available then i guess their deficiency could make problems.

Jsaute21

Nothing revolutionary here but improving health is not black and white. Sometimes i have a ravenous libido the night after drinking. There are times during a healthy and productive week that my libido is non existent, not because i am unhealthy but because life can get in the way. I think it is fairly well documented through well conducted research that lower prolactin is optimal to higher prolactin. Sometimes as one improves their own health, they notice feeling tired more often due to stress hormones lowering. Rome wasn't built in a day but whether a male or female, libido should come around with sound nutrition and timely supplementation when feeling hypo or unhealthy.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Nothing revolutionary here but improving health is not black and white. Sometimes i have a ravenous libido the night after drinking. There are times during a healthy and productive week that my libido is non existent, not because i am unhealthy but because life can get in the way. I think it is fairly well documented through well conducted research that lower prolactin is optimal to higher prolactin. Sometimes as one improves their own health, they notice feeling tired more often due to stress hormones lowering. Rome wasn't built in a day but whether a male or female, libido should come around with sound nutrition and timely supplementation when feeling hypo or unhealthy.

I would have to agree entirely to this. WELL SAID!!

For eg. Olive Leaf I know stimulates adrenaline/nor-adrenaline and that makes my libido go through the roof. But in a dirty sort of way.

anecdotally, i've used pramipexole, which is a prolactin inhibitor and dopamine agonist. I used wayyyy too much, and on an empty stomach, and I was bed-ridden for most of the day. I basically got erectile dysfunction in combination with sexual insatiability, which was a somewhat frustrating situation. im not sure how much of that though would have been resolved had I used a dosage appropriate to my energetically compromised state.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom