What do you know about "cervical pillows"?

ironfist

Been having some throat troubles, thinking it has to do with posture. My pillow, no matter the thickness, tends to crank my skull FORWARD when I sleep on my back. These cervical sorts seem like they'd place your head in the perfect position.

Saracatt

Been having some throat troubles, thinking it has to do with posture. My pillow, no matter the thickness, tends to crank my skull FORWARD when I sleep on my back. These cervical sorts seem like they'd place your head in the perfect position.

Saracatt

I have this problem as well. I wish I had a better answer, but I’ve tried all kinds of pillows. Even expensive ones from the chiropractor, and the best thing I’ve found to do is to sleep with no pillow or the flattest one I can find.

Robert5493

Pillows are an orthotic.
Katy Bowan talks about how they affect alignment in her book "Move your DNA."
It took her a year to wean off of using a pillow.

I tried one with infrared, magnetic and other gimmicks: i hate it. I prefer a flat and low pillow ( I gonna buy a natural latex one).

Luann

Pillows are an orthotic.
Katy Bowan talks about how they affect alignment in her book "Move your DNA."
It took her a year to wean off of using a pillow.
I did not know she recommends against them. She's great
I use a rolled-up towel. If I had time I would make a buckwheat pillow

AlaskaJono

Yep. I had my wife make a little 1/2 size pillow and very thin for just this reason. Over the years I have used a towel folded up to about 2inches thick inside a pillow case. Or nothing. Now I use my custom thin pillow for on my side sleeping, and move it back out the way for sleeping on my back. Also very important is to do a few little 'excercize' movements before one gets up in the am with a flat neck, and use slight pressure with a hand to resist lightly turning left, right, up, back, etc. . Just a few minutes each day. Many people I have know have these upper cervicalsC1 C2 jammed up, besides the head or chin forward posture.

Hope this helps.

Perry Staltic

One nice thing about using a buckwheat pillow that I didn't expect is my lower back relaxes. I didn't even realize there was tension there.

AlaskaJono

One nice thing about using a buckwheat pillow that I didn't expect is my lower back relaxes. I didn't even realize there was tension there.
A dense tootsie-roll pillow (or any dense pillow) located between ones thighs can help alleviate hip/sciatic pain. It is a learning situation to sleep like that but I had to in recent years to resolve some hip/Low back pain. Works very well especially on the sacro-iliac joint and hip flexors and lower lumbar. ;-)

sunny

I put a small lap blanket in a pillow case and adjust it as needed. It is flat, just some neck support.

Robert5493

I did not know she recommends against them. She's great
I use a rolled-up towel. If I had time I would make a buckwheat pillow
yes, she makes a lot of great points. Listening to her, I started sleeping and sitting on the floor when possible and found my flexibility increased a lot within just a week.
Giving up on the pillow has been harder, but getting easier. I'm not sure I've seen any benefits from doing so yet.