What do you find to be the most comfortable, easily digested starch?

What is your most easily digested / comfortable starch?

• Masa harina

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Potatoes

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • White Rice

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • White Bread

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Sweet Potato

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Squash

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Some other kind of grain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some other kind of tuber

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
brandonk said:
post 116812
It seems the idea that a little "hormesis" is a good thing might fall under the term "non-Peat"?

Yes, or rather, the idea that stress produces growth until the growth becomes naturalized to the stress, is "Peat".

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

brandonk said:
post 116812 It seems the idea that a little "hormesis" is a good thing might fall under the term "non-Peat"?
Maybe it depends on what kind of stress and how it is applied?

Any radiation is harmful, and same with many toxins - no hormetic advantage.

But appropriate amounts of physical work help develop muscles in a helpful way. Many systems develop/maintain if used, but degrade if unused and cause other issues if overused. Peat has talked about the value of concentric exercise, and about the GI taking time to adapt to a change in diet. A little unaccustomed sunshine causes both stress and triggers the development of pigment that allows for more beneficial sun exposure in the near future.

brandonk

tara said:
post 116818
brandonk said:
post 116812 It seems the idea that a little "hormesis" is a good thing might fall under the term "non-Peat"?
Maybe it depends on what kind of stress and how it is applied?

Any radiation is harmful, and same with many toxins - no hormetic advantage.

But appropriate amounts of physical work help develop muscles in a helpful way. Many systems develop/maintain if used, but degrade if unused and cause other issues if overused. Peat has talked about the value of concentric exercise, and about the GI taking time to adapt to a change in diet. A little unaccustomed sunshine causes both stress and triggers the development of pigment that allows for more beneficial sun exposure in the near future.
These are some really interesting examples! Thank you!

I've encountered the technical term "hormesis" as it is used in toxicology (as opposed to perhaps an ordinary language use) to refer to a bi-phasic dose response (supposedly), where a little bit of toxin can stimulate growth and be "a good thing", while a large dose is lethal.

But as I'm reading Ray Peat, it seems this should not be so. Changes in diet, concentric exercise and exposure to sun are good only to the extent an excess does not cause injury to the tissue, and if they do cause injury (say, by inflammation or lactic acid buildup), then the Selye "stress" response kicks in, which is no longer "a good thing".

Or at least that's how I'm understanding it I think at an early stage of my Peatification?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals