What do you find to be the most comfortable, easily digested starch?

What is your most easily digested / comfortable starch?

• Masa harina

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Potatoes

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • White Rice

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • White Bread

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Sweet Potato

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Squash

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Some other kind of grain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some other kind of tuber

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

johnwester130

white sourdough bread fried in coconut oil lowered my body temperature

masa harina did not

so masa harina, potatoes and white rice for me

Masa harina and white bread are flour products and therefore should be seperated into the flour category.

In one of the KMUD shows, Peat said that the fermentation of sourdough bread "dramatically increases it's protein content" so sourdough bread may be a good source of protein.

There are many starches that you didn't list in your poll:

Starch has three sources:

1. Below ground storage organs: potato, sweet potato, (there are many varieties of the potato family), yam, (yams are not the same as sweet potatoes), parsnip, celeriac, burdock, tapioca (cassava root), sunchoke, jicama, rutabaga, water chestnut, taro, and many others that are available around the world. Some tubers have more simple sugar than starch such as beets and turnips.

2. Above ground storage organs - Winter squashes - butternut, acorn, Hubbard, banana squash, pumpkin, buttercup, turban. Summer squash are usually low in calories which makes sense; summer = fruit, winter = steamed starch to keep warm and be the carbohydrate source when fruit is not there, in the non-tropics.

3. Grains - rice, amaranth, barley, buckwheat, farro, emmer, kamut, millet, muesli, quinoa, rye, sorghums, spelt, teff, and triticale.

Legumes like beans, lentils, peas, and some others have starch but they also have a high amount of protein so to call them a carbohydrate is a misnomer.

Flour products should not be called "carbs" because they are usually cooked in fat such as donuts cooked in oil/butter and many also have fat or protein added to the flour products after cooking. To eat fat-free flour is rare, outside of HCV's or Kenyan Ugali (corn flour that they don't add fat to)

brandonk

How do you know if a starch is easily digested? Apart from perhaps well-limed corn, starches, whether solid or liquid (such as corn or rice syrup), leave tiny particles as end-products of their digestion that can be persorbed through the intestine, lodge in the tissues, and in theory result over time in many degenerative diseases from atherosclerosis to alzheimer's.

If starch is the only food you have available, then eating fat with it may reduce persorption.

DrJ

In small-ish amounts: no-fiber water crackers, white rice

tara

brandonk said:
post 116549 Very ripe fruit has much less starch
Depends on the variety. Some get more starchy as they age beyond initial ripeness.

brandonk said:
post 116549 if fruit pectin cooks long enough, it breaks down into something that is not really starch anymore
I had never thought pectin was starch. Does anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

FredSonoma said:
post 116380What is your most easily digested / comfortable starch?

I find it difficult to pin down the effects of different starchy foods, especially effects more than a couple of hours later. But I think I feel better if I eat some starchy food every day. I've never gone more than a couple of days without starch though (because it hasn't felt good), so I don't know what the longer-term effects would be.

My stomach usually feels good after potatoes, which I usually eat boiled with a little butter, or baked as chips with a little coconut oil, or cooked together with meat and or vegetables, or occasionally deep fired in beef fat. Yams ans sweet potatoes seem fine with my gut, but I ony eat a little of them for other reasons.
White rice may be more or less OK.
I like my home baked bread, but I think it may mess somewhat with my GI tract.
Oat porridge and other grains seem to be preferable to wheat for my gut, but still a little challenging.
Legumes seem a bit harder going - my gut seems happier since I stopped eating them regularly.

I've been using the not-so-Peaty tactic of eating a little garlic most days the last while, and that seems to reduce the gassy effects of more starch.

[Edit to add:] I also sometimes use a little starchy powder as a thickening in cooked liquid foods, and I think this seems pretty easy on my gut. Eg. a little tapioca starch or potato starch cooked with milk and vanilla to make custard (I don't eat this often because I have trouble with too much milk, but I'm not aware of any additional issues from the thickening), or with stewed fruit to thicken it up and make it milder.

Suikerbuik

You have to live...you will die anyway.
With raw starch or charcoal I can definitely tell that it increases inflammation beyond the threshold my body can deal with. In case of well-cooked starch however, the positive outweigh the negatives.

Meat contains a lot of phosphate, estrogen, etc. and is grown in isolated systems.
Milk is little difference and easily puts a strain on the system and possibly increases IGF-1
Honey contains a lot of plastic particles
Fruit is mostly picked raw.
Seafood comes mostly from heavily polluted seas.
Even if you manage all these foods to be perfect, new issues will inevitable arise.

I also feel that the body has a certain capability, as we evolved eating the stuff, we used to live in dirty environments and we cooked on open fires, to name a few things.
It is good to raise awareness though, but (to me) little priority.

Can you try a large charcoal and see if it happens?

Suikerbuik

I cannot see it unfortunately, but think I can/could feel it. This was all before I started taking thyroid (clinically tested hypothyroid) and at the time tests seemed to indicate an increased permeability. In that time, because of the hype, I tried raw potatoe starch a few times. Apparently each single time I tried it, kidney inflammation became a real issue, gradually reducing only after quitting the starch. I didn't know about Peat and his concerns about persorption. However, the same thing happened when I introduced AC and after some research it became obvious that charcoal is also easily persorbed, especially in a weakened gut.

HealthNatura sells a large mesh charcoal.

Zachs

Westside PUFAs said:
post 116534 Masa harina and white bread are flour products and therefore should be seperated into the flour category.

In one of the KMUD shows, Peat said that the fermentation of sourdough bread "dramatically increases it's protein content" so sourdough bread may be a good source of protein.

There are many starches that you didn't list in your poll:

Starch has three sources:

1. Below ground storage organs: potato, sweet potato, (there are many varieties of the potato family), yam, (yams are not the same as sweet potatoes), parsnip, celeriac, burdock, tapioca (cassava root), sunchoke, jicama, rutabaga, water chestnut, taro, and many others that are available around the world. Some tubers have more simple sugar than starch such as beets and turnips.

2. Above ground storage organs - Winter squashes - butternut, acorn, Hubbard, banana squash, pumpkin, buttercup, turban. Summer squash are usually low in calories which makes sense; summer = fruit, winter = steamed starch to keep warm and be the carbohydrate source when fruit is not there, in the non-tropics.

3. Grains - rice, amaranth, barley, buckwheat, farro, emmer, kamut, millet, muesli, quinoa, rye, sorghums, spelt, teff, and triticale.

Legumes like beans, lentils, peas, and some others have starch but they also have a high amount of protein so to call them a carbohydrate is a misnomer.

Flour products should not be called "carbs" because they are usually cooked in fat such as donuts cooked in oil/butter and many also have fat or protein added to the flour products after cooking. To eat fat-free flour is rare, outside of HCV's or Kenyan Ugali (corn flour that they don't add fat to)

We make quite a few breads that contain zero fat. You can also find other flour products with no fat added like noodles, tortillas, pita, etc.

brandonk said:
post 116650ripe fruit, non-fat cheese made without GMO enzymes and coconut oil, and perhaps an egg or occasional shellfish

But don't most of these have too much tryptophan?

brandonk

Such_Saturation said:
brandonk said:
post 116650ripe fruit, non-fat cheese made without GMO enzymes and coconut oil, and perhaps an egg or occasional shellfish

Yes, you may be right. Is the idea that a cheese made with the whey strained off low in tryptophan (I'm not sure)?

brandonk said:
post 116654
Such_Saturation said:
brandonk said:

Yes, you may be right. Is the idea that a cheese made with the whey strained off low in tryptophan (I'm not sure)?

Well slightly lower...

tara

brandonk said:
post 116647 It's not my area of expertise. As I understand it Ray Peat has said the risk of high fructose corn syrup and rice syrup comes from persorbed particles left by the manufacturing process. But you may know his work better than I do, since I've only been introduced very recently.
Maybe you've read someting I haven't come across yet, or have forgotten. I don't recall this. I can't say it's my area of expertise either.

brandonk

Such_Saturation said:
brandonk said:
post 116654
Such_Saturation said:
brandonk said:

Well slightly lower...
Ah, I see. Ray Peat is said to rinse his cheese curds to reduce the whey and tryptophan.

Someone here tried a tryptophan depletion diet with gelatin or collagen and reported a good effect. https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/view ... =190&t=403

See also: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3756112/

Have you tried a tryptophan-depletion diet?

brandonk

Such_Saturation said:
ecstatichamster said:
post 116666Perhaps is a hormesis thing, a little is good for the body.

Yeah every discussion thread comes to this after a while :ss

brandonk said:
post 116733
Have you tried a tryptophan-depletion diet?

Not yet :ninja
I see Ray Peat describes hormesis this way:
"stress produces somatic growth, in a process called "hormesis." and " But poisons can stimulate growth (“hormesis”)"

And this:
In the 1940s, Alexander Lipshuts demonstrated that a continuous, weak estrogenic stimulus was immensely effective in producing, first fibromas, then cancer, in one organ after another, and the effect was not limited to the reproductive system. How is it possible that the idea of "protection from a weak estrogen seems convincing to so many? Isn't this the same process that we saw when the nuclear industry promoted Luckey's doctrine of "radiation hormesis," literally the claim that "a little radiation is positively good for us"?

It seems the idea that a little "hormesis" is a good thing might fall under the term "non-Peat"?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals