What Cured Your Depression?

JCastro

Avoiding most or all supplements
Tranylcypromine
Regular exercise
Meditation
Being with stimulating people
Having a purpose, being busy and obligated (but not too much) by meaningful work

I maintain that "cure" is a dirty word for something like "organic" clinical depression.
I'm emphasizing the difference between a poor lifestyle causing low mood vs. brain chemistry not working right even when external things are okay

jzeno

So, hear me out. I have a crazy idea that seems to be backed up by research.

In this post (Alleged Cancer Cure) @TreasureVibe was sharing how someone wrote a blog post that capsaicin (spice factor in peppers) reduced size of tumor. They mentioned a study by UCLA, which I couldn't find, but I did find this study, which is similar: Capsaicin, a component of red peppers, inhibits the growth of androgen-independent, p53 mutant prostate cancer cells. - PubMed - NCBI and this weird one about cancer cells committing suicide from the heat of capsaicin Pepper Component Hot Enough To Trigger Suicide In Prostate Cancer Cells. I recently found a lump on my abdomen, so I began eating habaneros (2/day) just for the heck of it until I see a doctor.

After eating peppers for a few days I thought "I wonder if capsaicin could alleviate depression" and sure enough there is a study linking a connection: NMDA receptors are involved in the antidepressant-like effects of capsaicin following amphetamine withdrawal in male mice. - PubMed - NCBI

Depression is weird. It's like things slow down and everything is muted--nothing is fun, nothing is exciting, everything is terrible and the experience of eating habaneros is like the exact opposite. It feels like terrible danger that kinda excites the system, while also being relatively safe because as terrible as the heat might be sometimes the peppers are mild and manageable and the heat always subsides no matter the intensity.

Apparently there is research confirming that there is a link between capsaicin and depression and the anti-inflammatory effects of capsaicin and a connection between inflammation and depression:

Capsaicin produces antidepressant-like effects in the forced swimming test and enhances the response of a sub-effective dose of amitriptyline in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0898656802000864

So, I might be crazy, but since eating 2 habaneros/day I do feel a lot better emotionally and my sleep has seemed to improve and sometimes I pass bowels with more regularity--all good things. I really do think there is something to capsaicin and health and in particular if you suffer from depression.

The reason I think this could be helpful is not only the research behind it but the sheer simplicity of it: Habaneros can be bought virtually in any supermarket and you get immediate relief from the capsaicin. Not only is the science there, but this is super simple. And if you suffer from depression, you know that you are extremely unmotivated to do just about anything important or difficult. Anyone can eat a pepper and habaneros are everywhere and dirt cheap making this an extremely accessible and easy process of relieving the weight of depression. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

The way the depressed mind works, eating a pepper and feeling relief is like the ultimate Achilles' heal because your mind only wants simple, easy, accessible, undifficult, uncomplicated things. Anything taxing sounds almost deadly.

Do some reading and maybe you might be convinced to give this a shot and share it with a family member or friend.

GreekDemiGod

Over 10 years of dysthymia for me. I am somewhat functioning in society, but far from thriving.
Do you guys think boosting my Testosterone levels alone will have a mental effect?
B 6 as regular Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, and Zinc Picolinate gave wonderful mood boosts. Pregnenalone when it worked, was wonderful. Tribulus seems to be giving strong antidepressant effects.
What B6 dosage did you took? Been taking 10mg daily for a few days. Nothing spectacular :(

Arnold Grape

So, hear me out. I have a crazy idea that seems to be backed up by research.

In this post (Alleged Cancer Cure) @TreasureVibe was sharing how someone wrote a blog post that capsaicin (spice factor in peppers) reduced size of tumor. They mentioned a study by UCLA, which I couldn't find, but I did find this study, which is similar: Capsaicin, a component of red peppers, inhibits the growth of androgen-independent, p53 mutant prostate cancer cells. - PubMed - NCBI and this weird one about cancer cells committing suicide from the heat of capsaicin Pepper Component Hot Enough To Trigger Suicide In Prostate Cancer Cells. I recently found a lump on my abdomen, so I began eating habaneros (2/day) just for the heck of it until I see a doctor.

After eating peppers for a few days I thought "I wonder if capsaicin could alleviate depression" and sure enough there is a study linking a connection: NMDA receptors are involved in the antidepressant-like effects of capsaicin following amphetamine withdrawal in male mice. - PubMed - NCBI

Depression is weird. It's like things slow down and everything is muted--nothing is fun, nothing is exciting, everything is terrible and the experience of eating habaneros is like the exact opposite. It feels like terrible danger that kinda excites the system, while also being relatively safe because as terrible as the heat might be sometimes the peppers are mild and manageable and the heat always subsides no matter the intensity.

Apparently there is research confirming that there is a link between capsaicin and depression and the anti-inflammatory effects of capsaicin and a connection between inflammation and depression:

Capsaicin produces antidepressant-like effects in the forced swimming test and enhances the response of a sub-effective dose of amitriptyline in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0898656802000864

So, I might be crazy, but since eating 2 habaneros/day I do feel a lot better emotionally and my sleep has seemed to improve and sometimes I pass bowels with more regularity--all good things. I really do think there is something to capsaicin and health and in particular if you suffer from depression.

The reason I think this could be helpful is not only the research behind it but the sheer simplicity of it: Habaneros can be bought virtually in any supermarket and you get immediate relief from the capsaicin. Not only is the science there, but this is super simple. And if you suffer from depression, you know that you are extremely unmotivated to do just about anything important or difficult. Anyone can eat a pepper and habaneros are everywhere and dirt cheap making this an extremely accessible and easy process of relieving the weight of depression. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

The way the depressed mind works, eating a pepper and feeling relief is like the ultimate Achilles' heal because your mind only wants simple, easy, accessible, undifficult, uncomplicated things. Anything taxing sounds almost deadly.

Do some reading and maybe you might be convinced to give this a shot and share it with a family member or friend.
Lol — I’ll try it. It seems like this thread finds me whenever I get low: the sunlight is less where I live and it seems like whatever mental sanity I may have had dialed in is more easily disrupted.

While it may be simple to suggest digestive impairment leads to depressive symptoms, it’s difficult for me to figure out, when the effects are down the line or 1 day later. Like are the carrots I bought failing me?

Pregnenolone seems like a solid way out of a slump, but its effect is sometimes wild or not predictable. (If anyone has the ability to describe why this is, I would love to hear that information — atm, it’s not reliable to take if you have a job to go to, for example.)

It does feel better to approach symptoms as some type of biological override of energy production, but that sux if your diet is somewhat consistent and still you get depressed out of nowhere. I’m feeling low today, but I just ate some grass fed beef and an egg, washed down with Red Bull, so we’ll see. Failing that I’m en route to buy peppers.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I'll chime in with an AVOID recommendation: I tried FocusFactor brain supplement some years ago - top ingredients are "Dimethylaminoethanol (as DMAE bitartrate), L-glutamine, Bacopin® (bacopa monnieri extract; whole plant), L-pyroglutamic acid, phosphatidylserine...etc". Made me feel TERRIBLE for 24 hours - anxious, restless, teeth-clenching, furious, totally wound up.

I have learned to be very afraid of amino acids as I don't know how they will affect me. I have a history of "soft" bipolar - just dysthymia & depression but quick switch into mania when trying various SSRIs - the teeth-clenching irritable mania, not the big-spender type. Prednisone (for chronic cough) can cause similar effects for me - I hate it.

For now, I'm sticking to B6, aspirin, niacin, and mg. Hoping to get a few more weeks of sun here in the north!

Frankdee20

Over 10 years of dysthymia for me. I am somewhat functioning in society, but far from thriving.
Do you guys think boosting my Testosterone levels alone will have a mental effect?

What B6 dosage did you took? Been taking 10mg daily for a few days. Nothing spectacular :(

Na, I was using 75MG and up of plain B6. Now I stick to a B Complex with just P5P.

jzeno

@Arnold Grape, Give it a shot! I'm eating 2 or more per day and I feel fantastic. I feel like I'm young again. I can't explain it at all. My skin looks great and I feel fantastic compared to before (mood and energy). I have no plans in the immediate future to change my intake. If anything, I want to ramp it up and eat a few more here and there.

Attachments

• IMG_20190919_135106.jpg
    IMG_20190919_135106.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

jet9

@Arnold Grape, Give it a shot! I'm eating 2 or more per day and I feel fantastic. I feel like I'm young again. I can't explain it at all. My skin looks great and I feel fantastic compared to before (mood and energy). I have no plans in the immediate future to change my intake. If anything, I want to ramp it up and eat a few more here and there.
What kind of peppers ? Will bell peppers work ?

jzeno

@jet9 No, read my previous posts. The point is to eat peppers that are high in capsaicin, the spice element in peppers. Hence habaneros are ideal because they are very spicy but manageable.

I eat two a day around lunch with milk to temper the heat. Eat them carefully the first time if you don't eat spicy foods often. After that, you should be fine.

jet9

@jet9 No, read my previous posts. The point is to eat peppers that are high in capsaicin, the spice element in peppers. Hence habaneros are ideal because they are very spicy but manageable.

I eat two a day around lunch with milk to temper the heat. Eat them carefully the first time if you don't eat spicy foods often. After that, you should be fine.
Got it, thank you !

ilhanxx

haidut recommend hyperforin, but st john's wort gave me serotonergic effect, I was very angry at past.

Arnold Grape

haidut recommend hyperforin, but st john's wort gave me serotonergic effect, I was very angry at past.
He did?! That surprises me, however, I loved taking sjw: although it ostensibly conflicts with a lot of what is talked about here, I believe it reduces many of the stress hormones without messing with androgen forming things (like aspirin does). Over time I think it screwed with my liver, but that was like 10 years on. Give it a whirl.

ilhanxx

He did?! That surprises me, however, I loved taking sjw: although it ostensibly conflicts with a lot of what is talked about here, I believe it reduces many of the stress hormones without messing with androgen forming things (like aspirin does). Over time I think it screwed with my liver, but that was like 10 years on. Give it a whirl.

I give it a try again but i dont use any hypericin or hyperforin extract pill or capsules, it give me a vampire light effect, I want to use fresh dried herb tea, I suffer from dysthymia. Witamins or other this site's dopaminergic approaches dont work for me.

St. John's Wort increases brain serotonin synthesis by inhibiting hepatic tryptophan 2, 3 dioxygenase activity and its gene expression in stressed ra... - PubMed - NCBI

ilhanxx

I realized a thing, when I stressed so much, I take 5-6 mg exemestane, it relaxes so much, it is not placebo, maybe androgen panel in stressed people changes short time period and convert estrogen, prolactin and other stress hormones.

Arnold Grape

I give it a try again but i dont use any hypericin or hyperforin extract pill or capsules, it give me a vampire light effect, I want to use fresh dried herb tea, I suffer from dysthymia. Witamins or other this site's dopaminergic approaches dont work for me.

St. John's Wort increases brain serotonin synthesis by inhibiting hepatic tryptophan 2, 3 dioxygenase activity and its gene expression in stressed ra... - PubMed - NCBI
Try the Perika brand — it will take several weeks to really kick in, but that is the most reputable brand in sjw communities. I’m not sure why, but whenever I strayed from that brand, it never worked out for me

Opioidus

Extremely low dose SNRIs, both cymbalta and venlafaxine have the same effect. I believe these medications are extremely potent and they are over perscribed by a significant margin. One/hundredth of the clinical dose is enough to improve my energy, mood and sociability to a noticeable degree. However even in this "micro" doses I still get delayed ejaculation and increased appetite.

Frankdee20

For me, oral GABA supplementation is helping the instability that led me to drink alcohol, and self medicate. Dopamine, Serotonin, and Norepinephrine deficiency was not fueling my depression after all. I focused on the wrong brain chemicals.

YourUniverse

I've noticed the things that move my bowels quickly snap me out of depression, and when my bowels are stagnant, I become stagnant. So things like coffee, vitamin C, aloe vera, fructose, and anything else that quickly moves bowels help tremendously, almost like an on/off switch.

In fact, I'd be very grateful if someone count add more things to the list of things that speed up gut transit time...

jet9

So things like coffee, vitamin C, aloe vera, fructose, and anything else that quickly moves bowels help tremendously.
By fructose do you mean fruits? Can you name the ones that work good for bowel movements ?