What could be the cause of anxious feeling in the gut?

BruceD

This seems to happen occasionally and early in the morning. I get strong anxiety and it feels like it is centered in my intestines. It is very uncomfortable and debilitating. It clears itself up after bowel movements. It's like a relief. A high dose of Iodine will also relieve it.

Anyone have an idea as to the cause? I would guess it is food related, but don't see any pattern there yet. It seems to happen randomly. I have been unable to pinpoint it to a certain good or drink.

Thanks in advance!

mostlylurking

This seems to happen occasionally and early in the morning. I get strong anxiety and it feels like it is centered in my intestines. It is very uncomfortable and debilitating. It clears itself up after bowel movements. It's like a relief. A high dose of Iodine will also relieve it.

Anyone have an idea as to the cause? I would guess it is food related, but don't see any pattern there yet. It seems to happen randomly. I have been unable to pinpoint it to a certain good or drink.

Thanks in advance!
Try drinking a glass of orange juice. I get that feeling when my blood sugar drops. Stay away from the iodine. You can really mess yourself up with that stuff.

Another thought: if your gut is inflamed and swollen and this is causing a narrowing that things have to pass through, aspirin could be very helpful because it reduces the inflammation and swelling.

suggested reading: Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.

a quote:
The contractile ability of smooth muscle, that’s impaired by swelling and inflammation, can be restored by antiinflammatory agents, for example aspirin (or other inhibitor of prostaglandin synthesis) or antihistamines. This applies to the muscles of lymphatic vessels (Wu, et al., 2005, 2006; Gosling, 2000), that must function to reduce edema, as well as to the bowel muscles that cause peristalsis.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter

Thanks in advance!
Agree with Mostlylurking that it's most likely due to low blood sugar. Glycogen stores and usually low and stress hormones high in the morning which can cause anxiety. Cortisol usually causes anger and frustration whereas noradrenaline and adrenaline can cause anxiety. Do you have rapid heart rate as well?

OP
B

BruceD

I already drink fruit juice when needed, which is often. And it helps. Fruit juice does not work when this happens.

I suspect gut dysbiosis. Hence the effectiveness of iodine. It works well when this happens, but the damage is already done. I had heard that Iodine was used for food poisoning in the past.

Also, the fact that relief really comes when I clear myself out after several urgent BMs.
It almost seems like I am consuming undigested food and I need to purge it.

mostlylurking

A whole lot less iodine than you think will cause problems. It will block your thyroid function. According to Dr. Peat, the perfect amount of iodine to take is to rely on the iodine that is already attached to the natural desiccated thyroid supplement.

Dr. Peat talks about iodine in this video:

You can find other clips about iodine by going here: Ray Peat Search and searching for Iodine.

OP
B

BruceD

Agree with Mostlylurking that it's most likely due to low blood sugar. Glycogen stores and usually low and stress hormones high in the morning which can cause anxiety. Cortisol usually causes anger and frustration whereas noradrenaline and adrenaline can cause anxiety. Do you have rapid heart rate as well?
Hi Hans, no increase in heart rate.

mostlylurking

I already drink fruit juice when needed, which is often. And it helps. Fruit juice does not work when this happens.

I suspect gut dysbiosis. Hence the effectiveness of iodine. It works well when this happens, but the damage is already done. I had heard that Iodine was used for food poisoning in the past.

Also, the fact that relief really comes when I clear myself out after several urgent BMs.
It almost seems like I am consuming undigested food and I need to purge it.
The iodine could make things a lot worse by blocking your thyroid function. Please refer to the video I just posted on this thread.

This issue sounds a lot more like a major ongoing digestion problem. If you have a thiamine deficiency you could have low stomach acid and low digestive enzymes. Also a thyroid deficiency can cause low stomach acid. Supplemental iodine can block thyroid function which can make the problem worse and ongoing.

OP
B

BruceD

The iodine could make things a lot worse by blocking your thyroid function. Please refer to the video I just posted on this thread.

This issue sounds a lot more like a major ongoing digestion problem. If you have a thiamine deficiency you could have low stomach acid and low digestive enzymes. Also a thyroid deficiency can cause low stomach acid. Supplemental iodine can block thyroid function which can make the problem worse and ongoing.
Even if occasional high dose? I try to avoid it otherwise. It is the only thing so far that is effective. I do believe I have an ongoing issue though. Just now recovering from Gastritis and other pain/inflammation in my lower gut.

I take allithiamine 4x / week. I think I am replete there.

A few years ago, started taking betaine HCL and it was probably the biggest single thing that I ever did to improve my symptoms. This revelation is what led me to Ray Peat. Once I started Peating, I was able to wean off eventualy. When I started Betaine HCL. I had Hasimotos and antibodies in the 180s. After I weaned off, that number got down to low 50s. Still in that range. I suspect that if I can figure out the gut issues, it will resolve the Hashimotos completely.

Perry Staltic

Even if occasional high dose? I try to avoid it otherwise. It is the only thing so far that is effective. I do believe I have an ongoing issue though. Just now recovering from Gastritis and other pain/inflammation in my lower gut.

I think many Japanese and other orientals consume daily what you consume only occasionally.

mostlylurking

I take allithiamine 4x / week. I think I am replete there.

A few years ago, started taking betaine HCL and it was probably the biggest single thing that I ever did to improve my symptoms. This revelation is what led me to Ray Peat. Once I started Peating, I was able to wean off eventualy. When I started Betaine HCL. I had Hasimotos and antibodies in the 180s. After I weaned off, that number got down to low 50s. Still in that range. I suspect that if I can figure out the gut issues, it will resolve the Hashimotos completely.
I don't know all the details about iodine. I just know that Ray Peat doesn't agree with supplementing with it and he believes that it can block thyroid function. I'm not willing to use it myself for those reasons.

You didn't include what your dose of allithiamine is. I don't understand your erratic dosing of 4X/week. Thiamine hcl sticks around maybe 2-3 hours because it is water soluble; I don't know what the time to clear is for allithiamine, I think it is "oil soluble" but I don't know how that works. I'm still learning about thiamine; I'm interested in it because my thiamine function got blocked by antibiotics (Bactrim) taken last summer. It didn't get better with time on it's own. I got pretty sick from it.

Here's a very good video about thiamine:

Is Thiamine Deficiency Destroying Your Digestive Health? Why B1 Is ESSENTIAL For Gut Function

also, here is another very good intro video on thiamine with Dr. Chandler Marrs:

Ledo

Thanks in advance!
I have that problem now and has been going on since Verizon's 5G "double wide band" or whatever they are calling it went in on my street around August of last year.

I and family members had extreme vertigo intialy giving way to sick nausa feeling in the stomach on and off and now the heavy distress in the lower intestine. Comes and goes with what I believe to be my energy level. When i have it, feces are very ill formed with little motility. At times everything seems to be normal but I think i am hovering around an energetic threshold level of ill health and the symptoms you describe is how it manifests.

I am on a corner and the equipment wraps around basically surrounding us.

OP
B

BruceD

I don't know all the details about iodine. I just know that Ray Peat doesn't agree with supplementing with it and he believes that it can block thyroid function. I'm not willing to use it myself for those reasons.

You didn't include what your dose of allithiamine is. I don't understand your erratic dosing of 4X/week. Thiamine hcl sticks around maybe 2-3 hours because it is water soluble; I don't know what the time to clear is for allithiamine, I think it is "oil soluble" but I don't know how that works. I'm still learning about thiamine; I'm interested in it because my thiamine function got blocked by antibiotics (Bactrim) taken last summer. It didn't get better with time on it's own. I got pretty sick from it.

Here's a very good video about thiamine:

Is Thiamine Deficiency Destroying Your Digestive Health? Why B1 Is ESSENTIAL For Gut Function

also, here is another very good intro video on thiamine with Dr. Chandler Marrs:

I only use Iodine as an antiseptic.

I take allithiamine at 50mgs. I took it every day for months. I have cut it back 4 x per week because it is fat soluble and I believe myself to be mostly replete. It will build up in your fat cells and will be released at the rate that fat turns over in your fat cells. It can build up in your body and provide a more constant source of thiamine than the water soluble version. You only need to take it once per day and will absorb well without food.

It's a game changer for me. I have lost weight while eating lots of sugar and carbs. And a lot of it is kind of junky. Good, calm energy.

OP
B

BruceD

I have that problem now and has been going on since Verizon's 5G "double wide band" or whatever they are calling it went in on my street around August of last year.

I and family members had extreme vertigo intialy giving way to sick nausa feeling in the stomach on and off and now the heavy distress in the lower intestine. Comes and goes with what I believe to be my energy level. When i have it, feces are very ill formed with little motility. At times everything seems to be normal but I think i am hovering around an energetic threshold level of ill health and the symptoms you describe is how it manifests.

I am on a corner and the equipment wraps around basically surrounding us.
Interesting. I am an IT guy and surrounded by wifi. My house is old and have boosters on every fllor.

OP
B

BruceD

I think many Japanese and other orientals consume daily what you consume only occasionally.
I have never had any noticeable bad side effects. But I only really use it as an antiseptic and when I have symptom flare ups.

mostlylurking

I only use Iodine as an antiseptic.

I take allithiamine at 50mgs. I took it every day for months. I have cut it back 4 x per week because it is fat soluble and I believe myself to be mostly replete. It will build up in your fat cells and will be released at the rate that fat turns over in your fat cells. It can build up in your body and provide a more constant source of thiamine than the water soluble version. You only need to take it once per day and will absorb well without food.

It's a game changer for me. I have lost weight while eating lots of sugar and carbs. And a lot of it is kind of junky. Good, calm energy.
I tried to take TTFD thiamine back in November but it gave me a headache that lasted 36 hours from one pill. I was pretty sick when I tried it; maybe I'll be better able to tolerate it now. I guess I'll find out. I've learned that taking potassium can help with the bad effects of it; I doubled my orange juice which is my potassium source.