What Constitutes A ' Very Well Cooked' Potato?

SuperStressed

I see many people quoting 45 minutes on the boil but isn't that figure for the potato protein soup?
obviously if we are eating the potato as mash we don't want the nutrients to leach into the water.
So how long is necessary to make very well cooked potato for mash? Has Ray ever spoken about an ideal amount of time?

ExCarniv

I see many people quoting 45 minutes on the boil but isn't that figure for the potato protein soup?
obviously if we are eating the potato as mash we don't want the nutrients to leach into the water.
So how long is necessary to make very well cooked potato for mash? Has Ray ever spoken about an ideal amount of time?

I boil them on low heat for 30min till soft enough to mash, wouldn't stress about that.

Other choice is put a potatoe in big chunks in the last hour when make bone broth

I use an instant pot for them at 30 minutes, works pretty well I hated boiling them waiting too messy and annoying

jzeno

Ray Peat always says "well-cooked starches", but doesn't elaborate. Charlotte Gerson elaborates in her book: https://www.truthseekerz.com/The.Ge...al.Program.for.Cancer.and.Other.Illnesses.pdf

Page 339

"Potatoes are most often boiled slowly in a covered pot over medium low heat approximately 1 hour until tender."

A second method I use is cooking several potatoes in a crock pot on low for 8 hours. I cook them until they emit a pleasant aroma and I can pierce them with a fork effortlessly. About 8 hours.