mrchibbs

golder

Health Natura for me, very good aged product, works flawlessly.
Thanks for this. What effects/dosage/timing did you found worked best for you and what wer eyou measuring success against? Much appreciated.

fever257

Health Natura, Life Giving Store, and Saturee all offer premium, pure Cascara Sagrada supplements.

Cascara is a potent quinone that exhibits stimulant laxative, anti-multi-stress hormone effects. It stimulates the bowels ~ 8 hours after consuming. As such, I only ever cnsume it at night - its nice to get the bowels moving when you wake up. I've noticed it boosting temperatures very quickly. I would definitely have it in your arsenal - its one of the most powerful substances/supplements I've tried. The scoop from LGS should explain to start out with 1/2 of the scoop (~50mg), I moved up to a full scoop (100mg) after about 2 weeks. I now use about 2/5-2 scoops (150-200mg) every other night or so, or whenever I can remember.

I will say, however, that i've tried a lot of supplements over time - Cascara is by far the worst-tasting, most unpleasant of them all. I can't believe I ever tried to just choke it down! We should never take supplements this way. Some people like to brew Cascara in a tea. My favorite way - I believe its the easiest - is to put it in a gelatin capsule. I ordered some of these from Health Natura (or was it LGS?). It's the best option imo. The horrible bitter taste is completely avoided and I've never had issues with acid reflux or anything.

Ingenol

I will say, however, that i've tried a lot of supplements over time - Cascara is by far the worst-tasting, most unpleasant of them all. I can't believe I ever tried to just choke it down! We should never take supplements this way. Some people like to brew Cascara in a tea. My favorite way - I believe its the easiest - is to put it in a gelatin capsule. I ordered some of these from Health Natura (or was it LGS?). It's the best option imo. The horrible bitter taste is completely avoided and I've never had issues with acid reflux or anything.

Interesting how different we each are. I just mix LGS Cascara in water and drink it no problem. It's not pleasant, but I certainly don't have to choke it down.

OP
L

Logan-

Thanks for the responses so far.

Health Natura, Life Giving Store, and Saturee

Have you tried all three? What’s your favourite?

Well Aged Cascara

Unfortunately it has maltodextrin, like LGS’ product; but if RP is o.k. with it, maybe it’s not too bad. I don’t know what he thinks about the maltodextrin in these products.

Does anyone know if Farmalabor’s original cascara had maltodextrin, when RP was praising it?

OP
L

Logan-

I know, so as LGS’ product; but when RP was praising this product, did it have maltodextrin in it, or is it a later addition?

OP
L

Logan-

logo-gmic.gif

Gut Microbes. 2015; 6(1): 78–83.
Published online 2015 Mar 4. doi: 10.1080/19490976.2015.1005477
PMCID: PMC4615306
PMID: 25738413
Deregulation of intestinal anti-microbial defense by the dietary additive, maltodextrin
Kourtney P Nickerson,1,2 Rachael Chanin,1 and Christine McDonald3,4,*
Author information Article notes Copyright and License information Disclaimer
This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Abstract
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a complex, multi-factorial disease thought to arise from an inappropriate immune response to commensal bacteria in a genetically susceptible person that results in chronic, cyclical, intestinal inflammation. Dietary and environmental factors are implicated in the initiation and perpetuation of IBD; however, a singular causative agent has not been identified. As of now, the role of environmental priming or triggers in IBD onset and pathogenesis are not well understood, but these factors appear to synergize with other disease susceptibility factors. In previous work, we determined that the polysaccharide dietary additive, maltodextrin (MDX), impairs cellular anti-bacterial responses and suppresses intestinal anti-microbial defense mechanisms. In this addendum, we review potential mechanisms for dietary deregulation of intestinal homeostasis, postulate how dietary and genetic risk factors may combine to result in disease pathogenesis, and discuss these ideas in the context of recent findings related to dietary interventions for IBD.

Abbreviations
AIEC
adherent-invasive Escherichia coli
CD
Crohn's disease
CMC
carboxymethyl cellulose
DSS
dextran sulfate sodium
GRAS
Generally Recognized As Safe
FDA
Food and Drug Administration
IBD
inflammatory bowel disease
IBD-AID
inflammatory bowel disease-anti-inflammatory diet
MDX
maltodextrin
SCD
specific carbohydrate diet
UC
ulcerative colitis

565062EA-A1B0-44B4-B973-391670EE6E71.jpeg

F043CCD8-96EE-40D1-BB7B-6826FB8E2FA1.jpeg

Nickerson, Kourtney P et al. “Deregulation of intestinal anti-microbial defense by the dietary additive, maltodextrin.” Gut microbes vol. 6,1 (2015): 78-83. doi:10.1080/19490976.2015.1005477
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4615306/pdf/kgmi-06-01-1005477.pdf

OP
L

Logan-

logo-plosone.png

PLoS One. 2012; 7(12): e52132.
Published online 2012 Dec 12. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0052132
PMCID: PMC3520894
PMID: 23251695
Crohn's Disease-Associated Adherent-Invasive Escherichia coli Adhesion Is Enhanced by Exposure to the Ubiquitous Dietary Polysaccharide Maltodextrin
Kourtney P. Nickerson 1 , 2 and Christine McDonald 1 , 2 , *
Emiko Mizoguchi, Editor
Author information Article notes Copyright and License information Disclaimer

Abstract
Crohn's disease (CD) is associated with intestinal dysbiosis evidenced by an altered microbiome forming thick biofilms on the epithelium. Additionally, adherent-invasive E. coli (AIEC) strains are frequently isolated from ileal lesions of CD patients indicating a potential role for these strains in disease pathogenesis. The composition and characteristics of the host microbiome are influenced by environmental factors, particularly diet. Polysaccharides added to food as emulsifiers, stabilizers or bulking agents have been linked to bacteria-associated intestinal disorders. The escalating consumption of polysaccharides in Western diets parallels an increased incidence of CD during the latter 20th century. In this study, the effect of a polysaccharide panel on adhesiveness of the CD-associated AIEC strain LF82 was analyzed to determine if these food additives promote disease-associated bacterial phenotypes. Maltodextrin (MDX), a polysaccharide derived from starch hydrolysis, markedly enhanced LF82 specific biofilm formation. Biofilm formation of multiple other E. coli strains was also promoted by MDX. MDX-induced E. coli biofilm formation was independent of polysaccharide chain length indicating a requirement for MDX metabolism. MDX exposure induced type I pili expression, which was required for MDX-enhanced biofilm formation. MDX also increased bacterial adhesion to human intestinal epithelial cell monolayers in a mechanism dependent on type 1 pili and independent of the cellular receptor CEACAM6, suggesting a novel mechanism of epithelial cell adhesion. Analysis of mucosa-associated bacteria from individuals with and without CD showed increased prevalence of malX, a gene essential for MDX metabolism, uniquely in the ileum of CD patients. These findings demonstrate that the ubiquitous dietary component MDX enhances E. coli adhesion and suggests a mechanism by which Western diets rich in specific polysaccharides may promote dysbiosis of gut microbes and contribute to disease susceptibility.

F0E949F9-7DDD-4E02-9622-674E40FCADC4.jpeg

Figure 1. MDX strongly enhances E. coli biofilm formation.

(A) Growth curves of LF82 grown in medium supplemented with the indicated polysaccharide or sugar. (B) Specific biofilm formation of LF82. Average ±SD shown. **p<0.01, ***p<0.001, n.d. = none detected (C) Micrographs of LF82 biofilms from B stained with Congo red to detect exopolysaccharide formation (pink) with bacteria counterstained with carbol fusion (blue).

591CD6B3-A042-4B35-9F81-F0B2BD259123.png

Table 1. Bacterial strains.

60D88BAA-598A-4886-8A7C-7551C5B8AFEE.png

Figure 2. MDX promotes biofilm formation of multiple E. coli strains in a process dependent on MDX metabolism.

(A) Specific biofilm formation of a panel of E. coli strains. (B) Micrographs of crystal violet stained biofilms from A. (C) Specific biofilm formation of LF82 in medium supplemented with MDX of different chain lengths. (D) Micrographs of crystal violet stained biofilms from C. Average ±SD shown. *p<0.05, **p<0.01, n.d. = none detected.

8C0D85E4-DFE7-468E-BEF0-213293E13C32.png

Figure 3. MDX increases biofilm formation via type 1 pili.

(A) Scanning electron micrographs of LF82 biofilms. Arrowheads indicate bacteria-plastic (white) or inter-bacterial (black) adhesins. (B) Assessment of the LF82 fim operon by PCR to determine type 1 pili expression. (C) Specific biofilm formation of LF82 in the presence or absence of 2% mannose. (D) Micrographs of crystal violet stained biofilms from C. (E) Specific biofilm formation of LF82 and isogenic mutant strains. (F) Micrographs of crystal violet stained biofilms from E. Average ±SD shown. *p<0.05, **p<0.01.
E8F5B022-6B4D-4CCB-8E94-267DFADC88F1.png

Figure 4. MDX selectively enhances LF82 adhesion to intestinal epithelial cell lines.

(A) Adhesion of LF82 to Caco2 monolayers. (B) Immunofluorescent confocal micrographs of LF82 adhered to Caco2 monolayers. Green = LF82, blue = nuclei (C) Adhesion of LF82 to HT29 monolayers. (D) Immunofluorescent confocal micrographs of LF82 adhered to HT29 monolayers. Green = LF82, blue = nuclei (E) Intracellular LF82 recovered from HT29 monolayers. (F) Immunofluorescent confocal micrographs demonstrating the localization of LF82 (red) on the surface of HT29 cells (green). Nuclei  =  blue. Average ±SD shown. *p<0.05, **p<0.01 relative to glucose.
61A63989-2F67-4ABD-A1FC-10F55D214E45.png

Figure 5. MDX selectively enhances LF82 adhesion to Raw264.7 macrophages.

(A) Total amount of Raw264.7 cell-associated LF82. (B) Intracellular LF82 recovered from Raw264.7 cells. (C) Immunofluorescent confocal micrographs of LF82 (red) infected Raw264.7 cells (green). Nuclei  =  blue. Average ±SD shown. **p<0.01, ***p<0.001 relative to glucose.
7E03D9B3-C01F-49B6-A270-3AABE1F5843D.png

Figure 6. MDX enhances epithelial cell adhesion in a type 1 pili-dependent manner.

(A) Adhesion of LF82 to HT29 monolayers pre-incubated with 2% mannose. (B) Adhesion of LF82 isogenic mutants to HT29 monolayers. Average ±SD shown. *p<0.05, **p<0.01 relative to glucose.

88F10D61-801D-4089-AD2D-38046F3A745E.png

Figure 7. MDX-enhanced LF82 adhesion to epithelial cells occurs via a mechanism independent of CEACAM6.

(A) Immunoblots of CEACAM6 expression. (B) Adhesion of LF82 to Caco2 cell lines stably expressing shRNAs. Average ±SD shown. **p<0.01, ***p<0.001 relative to glucose. (C) Immunoblots of CEACAM6 expression. (D) Immunoflurescent confocal micrographs of LF82 adhered to Caco2 cells used in B. Green = LF82, blue = nuclei.

Nickerson KP, McDonald C (2012) Crohn's Disease-Associated Adherent-Invasive Escherichia coli Adhesion Is Enhanced by Exposure to the Ubiquitous Dietary Polysaccharide Maltodextrin. PLoS ONE 7(12): e52132. Crohn's Disease-Associated Adherent-Invasive Escherichia coli Adhesion Is Enhanced by Exposure to the Ubiquitous Dietary Polysaccharide Maltodextrin
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3520894/pdf/pone.0052132.pdf

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

Also from the above study article:

7DD9C1C4-1BCA-4D82-B816-1CF5BBA13C68.png

Figure S3: Identification strategy for malX + bacterial strains to be analyzed by quantitative PCR in human mucosal samples. NCBI lists 63 proteobacteria species with gene sequences specific for malX. Excluding discontinued sequences and partial sequences, the remaining sequences were aligned using ClustlW2. Further sequences were eliminated if they lacked significant identity or were sequences from non-human pathogens for a final strain count of 36 gene sequences. The aligned sequence was used to generate a consensuses sequence which was then entered into the BiBiServ GeneFisher2 software. Parameters for primer design were length between 15 to 18 bp, GC content of 45–65%, melting temperature between 57–63°C and a product size between 50 and 200bp. Candidate primer sets were also evaluated for possible amplification of the human genome. The primers selected were 5′ACGCGTTTCCTTTCGCAA3′ and 5′ACAGAACTGGCGCTACGA3′.
(TIF)

pone.0052132.s003.tif (1.5M)
GUID: 4A06A36F-45E0-4DAA-BEC0-D3215845CC51

OP
L

Logan-

Reports on the above study:

Could Compound in Artificial Sweeteners Worsen Crohn's Disease?

Maltodextrin May Worsen Crohn’s Disease | Los Angeles IBD, IBS, and Colon Cancer Surgeons

https://health.usnews.com/health-ne...n-artificial-sweeteners-worsen-crohns-disease

One study has shown that maltodextrin increases the activity of Escherichia coli bacteria, which may have a role in the development of the inflammatory bowel disease known as Crohn’s disease.

Another study has linked maltodextrin to the survival of Salmonellabacteria, which may cause gastroenteritis and a broad range of chronic inflammatory conditions.

A recent study suggested that maltodextrin may also compromise the ability of cells to respond to bacteria. It could also suppress intestine defense mechanisms against them, leading to intestinal disorders.
Maltodextrin: What it is, dangers, and substitutes

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

Does Maltodextrin Contain GMOs?
Can-Maltodextrin-Help-Athletes.jpg
Maltodextrin is often made from genetically-modified corn.

According to the FDA, GMO corn does not pose any health risk. Scientific evidence has shown that foods from genetically-engineered plants are just as safe as those from comparable non-GMO counterparts (16).

Since all ingredients in certified organic products must be GMO-free, maltodextrin in those products must be made from non-GMO corn or wheat (17).

Summary: Maltodextrin is often made from GMO corn. However, certified organic products containing maltodextrin do not contain GMOs.

What is Maltodextrin and is it Dangerous? A Review For Non-Scientists | Diet vs Disease

gaze

@Logan-

did you ever email ray to ask about it? I'm pretty sure the maltodextrin is used in such small amounts, combined with cascaras benefits that its not a big problem. However I'm also unsure just how much they need to use for the powder, its probably to prevent clumping or something. Maybe if you have a corn intolerance it could be worse though.

Last edited:
OP
L

Logan-

@Logan-

did you ever email ray to ask about it? I'm pretty sure the maltodextrin is used in such small amounts, combined with cascaras benefits that its not a big problem. However I'm also unsure just how much they need to use for the powder, its probably to prevent clumping or something. Maybe if you have a corn intolerance it could be worse though.
I have not asked him. I wouldn’t buy cascara that contains maltodextrin. The owner of LGS said 30% of their product is maltodextrin.

gaze

I have not asked him. I wouldn’t buy cascara that contains maltodextrin. The owner of LGS said 30% of their product is maltodextrin.

yea, in that case the maltodextrin is a bit concerning. i bought health naturas. i'll let you know how it goes. i have an extremely sensitive stomach, so If there's anything negative about it I'll notice it.

I've used both lifegivingstore.com and Health Natura. Both are quite good. No problems with either one. Thanks for the info on maltodextrin.

serling78

Health Natura, Life Giving Store, and Saturee all offer premium, pure Cascara Sagrada supplements.

Cascara is a potent quinone that exhibits stimulant laxative, anti-multi-stress hormone effects. It stimulates the bowels ~ 8 hours after consuming. As such, I only ever cnsume it at night - its nice to get the bowels moving when you wake up. I've noticed it boosting temperatures very quickly. I would definitely have it in your arsenal - its one of the most powerful substances/supplements I've tried. The scoop from LGS should explain to start out with 1/2 of the scoop (~50mg), I moved up to a full scoop (100mg) after about 2 weeks. I now use about 2/5-2 scoops (150-200mg) every other night or so, or whenever I can remember.

Regarding cascara boosting temperature, have you noticed any flushing of the skin as a result? I only ask because your comment on temp is the closest thing I can find anywhere that may suggest flushing from cascara is possible, and its a side effect I'm experiencing that I'm pretty sure is related to cascara.

I'm very prone to, and annoyed by, facial flushing and since taking cascara I've had noticeable burning and redness lately after my skin had been much improved over the past year or so.

fever257

@serling78 not directly as a result of Cascara, no, I have not. I wouldn't worry about that or consciously think about it while experimenting, either - you may be inducing a mild, mentally-driven stress response on yourself. I recommend practicing gratitude with each new supplement you try.