What cheese and milk?

barbwirehouse

Is all cheese acceptable (cottage cheese, soft cheese, hard cheese, etc) or only some?

Should you drink skim or full fat milk?

tara

Depends on your context. Some people are fine with many cheeses, others do better avoiding some.

Peat recommends cheeses made using animal rennet over others (eg 'vegetarian').

He recommends avoiding products containing carrageenan particularly, and other vegetable gums. Carrageenan is very commonly used as a thickener in many dairy products - I haven't found any commercial cottage cheeses, cream cheeses, icecream, etc where i am that don't contain carrageenan. He has an article describing it - highly allergenic for some people, and probably harmful to some extent for everyone - undermines gut barrier integrity, IIRC.
I think aged cheeses tend to have higher histamine than fresher cheeses. I love cheese, but sadly many of them don't love me. I'm very cautious about aged cheeses myself, because I suspect they push my symptoms, and I suspect I'm sensitive to excess histamine. I'm hoping one day I can enjoy brie and camembert and cheddar and edam and gouda etc again without regretting it.

It is easy to make your own home made fresh cheese. The easiest method uses vinegar or lemon juice.
Heat milk to just below boiling (80+ degrees C), add vinegar or lemon juice gradually, stirring, till it curdles, strain, add salt to taste.
Only slightly more complex, and in my opinion more delicious, is fresh cheese made with animal rennet, if you can get hold of some. I've made some with what is sometimes called junket rennet.

Skim or full fat? I'm not going to say you should do anything - that's up to you. Some people here report doing well on full fat milk. If you are recovering from undereating, then full fat may serve you better for a while. If you can easily get enough calories from other sources - mostly carbs - for satiety and to run a strong metabolism, and you are trying to limit fat gain, skim may serve this purpose better. I think Peat has sometimes recommended 1% milk - has just enough fat in it to aid digestion, but not so much as to contribute to a lot of fat gain.

jyb

I drink milk whole but only quality milk (raw or near raw from happy cows). I think the benefits of the fat is good or bad depending on the quality (both the cow health and the processing). If its milk from the average stores then I'll just drink skimmed.

I eat much less cheese because I find it less comfortable to digest (in large quantities), so I mostly have milk, cream, ice cream, yogurt, butter...