What Causes PMS, In A Nutshell?

Is there one agreed upon theory around here? (Not that I would blindly believe a theory just because somebody said so, just as a caveat ,but I'm curious to hear what the opinions on this forum are).

I"m curious about Peat's opinions on PMS. Is it mainly thought to be estrogen dominance? Anything else?

And for me personally, the PMS symptoms that I'm thinking of when I ask this question are the emotional ones. I can handle bloating, cramps, water retention, etc. It's the depression, paranoid thinking, negative thoughts, irritability, and mental/emotional lethargy that I would like to eliminate from my life 1-2 weeks out of the month.

Would the main task be to reduce estrogen? Thanks in advance.

bogbody

I'm still new here and figuring this out too but yes it seems to be reduce estrogen and support the thyroid. This is what Peat says in Generative Energy:
My first suggestion for someone with PMS is to avoid thyroid suppression (diet; darkness and endurance exercise should be avoided), and to use my carrot salad recipe: Grated carrots, vinegar, coconut oil and salt are the essentials, garlic and olive oil are optional. Acetic acid and fatty acids released from the coconut oil act at different levels, and the carrot fiber is a timed-release system which also binds toxins and stimu-lates the bowel; the salt spares magnesium and tends to inhibit excessive prolactin release. Use of a balanced thyroid (Armour or Proloid) supplement can help to restore normal thyroid function by breaking the cycle of stress. If these methods aren't enough, progesterone or pregnenolone can be supplemented. Both of these help to normalize thyroid func-tion, and both have the "catatoxic" function of protecting against a wide range of toxins.
Just anecdotally I personally have only started adopting Peat principles very recently (weeks, not months) and will say that for my last cycle, I did not experience any PMS. I'm still adjusting but this was my first noticeable benefit. This is just from eating a Peat-syle diet and using topical progesterone daily starting at ovulation through menstruation. My energy was slightly lower during that time but I had zero depression and irritability which I almost always have in the past. I also take Vitamin E.

L_C

You probably didn’t expect to hear that but for me it helped to implement the ‘observation mind’ from the book Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

I used to be very sad and depressed with negativity before the on start of my period. Now it just comes and goes.

Tolle is more of a new age guy but looking at emotions from the observation mind helped a lot and not just with PMS but with negativity overall.

Last edited:

Hirri

Hi there, I am the same, also suffering 2 weeks every month and all the mental part is making me crazy, especially insomnia which is always worse those days. I am curious about endurance sport, does it really make things worse? Because I run and I thought it's better for my mental health...

Philomath

I’m researching this for my daughters, but Peat says thyroid blocks Serotonin, and high serotonin is responsible for many of the emotional issues mentioned here. So it seems raising thyroid levels would bloc serotonin and eliminate some of these issues no?
Then again, Haidut’s new product 10-Methoxy-Harmalan is a serotonin antagonist (no Cypro or LSD like side effects) that may help??

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals