What causes chronically tight muscles all over the body ?

Explorer

I spent hours thinking about this exact question. I think mental state affects the physical state more than vice versa.

Messed up physical health definitely can give you anxiety and depression, but I'm convinced that more often it is the opposite.

Modern lifestyle is designed to be as stressful as possible. Ultimately, if you want to heal, you need to remove as much of those stressors as you can.
Or you can just take Ashwagandha which will increase your stress resilience and give you this stoic idgaf type of feeling

BearWithMe

Or you can just take Ashwagandha which will increase your stress resilience and give you this stoic idgaf type of feeling
I'd rather fix my life situation, get a better job, move to a better place and cut out toxic people, than numb myself and dumb myself down, thanks.

Explorer

I'd rather fix my life situation, get a better job, move to a better place and cut out toxic people, than numb myself and dumb myself down, thanks.
I mean as in for stresses that are anxiety or overthinking based not based on any actual external stressors

Explorer

Even then, Ashwagandha is just horrible supplement, especially if you are a man.
Why? It always reduced fight or flight response/anxiety by like 90% for me, the only downside is it can relax you so much that you do not really care about larger scheme things like politics, ideas, etc. and just wanna conserve all of the energy/attention only for yourself and the present moment fully as it puts you into the present moment making you not care about past and future this stoic idgaf type of attitude I guess that could be a downside in regards to goals as you just feel too satisfied and relaxed about yourself

Despite that serotonergic effect I have had androgenic anti-cortisol pro-Thyroid benefits from it like increased temperatures, increased metabolism, and noticing a few kilogram dips the next morning in my weight after using it so it either burns a bit of fat or drops water weight or something like that, increased resilience to fear/stress/anxiety

The micro-PSSD-like effects go away after a few days of not using it so it is best to cycle it and use it only before sleep in times of higher uncontrollable stress

What other effective if not more effective Peaty non-serotonergic adaptogens do you know about?

I have tried Tribulus, Tongkat Ali, Horny Goat Weed but none of them ever had as strong instantly noticeable anti-stress relief as Ashwagandha does within a few minutes of it's ingestion for me

OP
M

Motif

When I take about 600 mg magnesium malate my tight muscles seem to relax a bit more. The other magnesium supplement with mixed magnesium sources never relaxed my muscles , only made me calmer in the head a bit.

is there another form that’s even better for that?

sometimes I really think my body just absorbs minerals in general bad.

everything speaks for it. The low zinc / copper that I can’t get rid of. Magnesium helping, potassium relaxes me , I need a lot of salt too and without I feel more stressed.

Clavius78

I have the issue of chronic muscle tension as well and I thought I'd chime in. Maybe it is of use to someone that's in a similar boat. I am diagnosed (late in life) with high functioning autism. The muscle tension is a result of the constant stress caused by my autism. Even up until the point that my joints are pressed together under the tension. In the more severe autism cases it results in dyspraxia. Two things helped me a lot:

1. I've had great results recovering from it with osteopathic therapy. Not all therapists are equal and they're not all familiar with autism and its consequences.

2. Secondly, THC-oil (not CBD-oil) works wonders for relaxation of my body and preventing new issues. I realize this is not legal everywhere though.

Hope it's of use to someone.

OP
M

Motif

I have the issue of chronic muscle tension as well and I thought I'd chime in. Maybe it is of use to someone that's in a similar boat. I am diagnosed (late in life) with high functioning autism. The muscle tension is a result of the constant stress caused by my autism. Even up until the point that my joints are pressed together under the tension. In the more severe autism cases it results in dyspraxia. Two things helped me a lot:

1. I've had great results recovering from it with osteopathic therapy. Not all therapists are equal and they're not all familiar with autism and its consequences.

2. Secondly, THC-oil (not CBD-oil) works wonders for relaxation of my body and preventing new issues. I realize this is not legal everywhere though.

Hope it's of use to someone.
What are your symptoms of autism?

Clavius78

What are your symptoms of autism?
- Extreme hyperfocus.
- Anxiety, especially for social situations.
- Sensory overload resulting in optical interference in the eyes.
- Other sensory issues. E.g. I can't feel pain or temperature below a certain high threshold.
- Chronic muslce tension.

But lets not hijack this thread.

OP
M

Motif

- Extreme hyperfocus.
- Anxiety, especially for social situations.
- Sensory overload resulting in optical interference in the eyes.
- Other sensory issues. E.g. I can't feel pain or temperature below a certain high threshold.
- Chronic muslce tension.

But lets not hijack this thread.
It’s my thread ?

I mean when I check symptoms for autism I might have it too.
but who knows what causes this ...

K

Kaur Singh

high resting tone = hypertonia --> hypothyroidism
it's the principle behind why achilles tendon reflex is used to assess thyroid function

(that then encompasses high serotonin, low CO2, why B1 can help, mineral imbalances, etc)

I did use to get terrible muscle spams after eating muscle meats.
I cut them out. Then I found Peat's work.
I can eat some meat now days and not have that effect

I was going to post something similar, but you've already said it nicely here.

I think tightness and knots are essentially caused by a local energy deficit in the muscle. Lactic acid may be involved (and a host of other things). I was investigating this recently in regards to "trigger points" which can cause either local pain in the affected muscle or a referred pain somewhere else. Like a trigger point in the gluteus medius causing lower back pain. People walk around with chronic back pain which may just be inflamed muscle (caused by energy deficit) pressing on a nerve or something of that nature.

We are all aware that hypothyroid people have muscles that don't relax as easy and stay semi-tense. Ray has also mentioned hypothyroid people don't retain magnesium as well.
How can lactic acid be released from muscles?

InChristAlone

Why? It always reduced fight or flight response/anxiety by like 90% for me, the only downside is it can relax you so much that you do not really care about larger scheme things like politics, ideas, etc. and just wanna conserve all of the energy/attention only for yourself and the present moment fully as it puts you into the present moment making you not care about past and future this stoic idgaf type of attitude I guess that could be a downside in regards to goals as you just feel too satisfied and relaxed about yourself

Despite that serotonergic effect I have had androgenic anti-cortisol pro-Thyroid benefits from it like increased temperatures, increased metabolism, and noticing a few kilogram dips the next morning in my weight after using it so it either burns a bit of fat or drops water weight or something like that, increased resilience to fear/stress/anxiety

The micro-PSSD-like effects go away after a few days of not using it so it is best to cycle it and use it only before sleep in times of higher uncontrollable stress

What other effective if not more effective Peaty non-serotonergic adaptogens do you know about?

I have tried Tribulus, Tongkat Ali, Horny Goat Weed but none of them ever had as strong instantly noticeable anti-stress relief as Ashwagandha does within a few minutes of it's ingestion for me
That's the definition of numbing out. Don't care about anything. Pretty much the same thing as SSRIs. Ashwaganda can eventually be extremely serotonergic like you say you can't stay on it.

Learning to calm our own stress is a life skill everyone should learn. It's called nervous system regulation. Being unable to put a stop to our anxious brain will leave us grasping for drugs and supplements when life gets tough. Surrendering to our experience is scary at first but the more we surrender the more we feel at peace without any chemical influence.

Accept and allow any anxious feeling or any worrying thought. Just let it be there and say oh well. It's okay. Then run towards the anxiety invite it to get stronger. The second you do this anxiety disappears because what was keeping anxiety/'stress' alive was the resistance to our own experience. Anxiety lives in the resistance.

BearWithMe

That's the definition of numbing out. Don't care about anything. Pretty much the same thing as SSRIs. Ashwaganda can eventually be extremely serotonergic like you say you can't stay on it.

Learning to calm our own stress is a life skill everyone should learn. It's called nervous system regulation. Being unable to put a stop to our anxious brain will leave us grasping for drugs and supplements when life gets tough. Surrendering to our experience is scary at first but the more we surrender the more we feel at peace without any chemical influence.

Accept and allow any anxious feeling or any worrying thought. Just let it be there and say oh well. It's okay. Then run towards the anxiety invite it to get stronger. The second you do this anxiety disappears because what was keeping anxiety/'stress' alive was the resistance to our own experience. Anxiety lives in the resistance.
This post is beautiful. I feel better just from reading it!

BearWithMe

Besides baking soda, do you thing carbonated water is a good source for CO2?
You can't directly "supplement" CO2. But you can increase your CO2 by proper breathing, and by supporting carbohydrate metabolism (eating plenty of sugar, thiamine etc.)

InChristAlone