What caused my digestion to even get worse? (Magnesium malate, Ascorbic acid, allicin, olive leaf extract)

Motif

Or do you think tight muscles from laying down a lot (I was sick) could cause this?

Maybe I’m lacking salt too, from sweating a lot while sick, but honestly I was adding pretty much salt. But salt is a big topic for me anyway.
I really think I need huge amounts.
I remember feeling like crap over days months ago and my digestion was weak too in that time . Than i added more salt and was better. I just don’t know why i need that crazy much.
I love the taste of a Glas of coke or lemonade with a whole heaped tsp of salt for example.

atlee7757

Magnesium ( in any form) and ascorbic acid would worsen poor digestion if taken with food.

Magnesium and ascorbic acid need to be supplemented in fairly large quantities, but preferably with water (and salt) when there is no digestion going on in the stomach. 30-60 minutes before eating, would allow them to be cleared before eating food.

OP
M

Motif

Magnesium ( in any form) and ascorbic acid would worsen poor digestion if taken with food.

Magnesium and ascorbic acid need to be supplemented in fairly large quantities, but preferably with water (and salt) when there is no digestion going on in the stomach. 30-60 minutes before eating, would allow them to be cleared before eating food.
Is this a ph thing? I would think Ascorbic acid is way more acidic?

atlee7757

Malic and ascorbic acid both have a low pH. Magnesium doses are usually 100-200mg, but Vitamin C doses are frequently in the 2-4gm range.

For this reason, I prefer ascorbic acids that are buffered: Magnesium Ascorbate, Sodium Ascorbate, Zinc Ascorbate all in pure powder form.

However, I still take them combined with salted water and away from food.

Dr. B

Or do you think tight muscles from laying down a lot (I was sick) could cause this?

Maybe I’m lacking salt too, from sweating a lot while sick, but honestly I was adding pretty much salt. But salt is a big topic for me anyway.
I remember feeling like crap over days months ago and my digestion was weak too in that time . Than i added more salt and was better. I just don’t know why i need that crazy much.
I love the taste of a Glas of coke or lemonade with a whole heaped tsp of salt for example.
malic acid has the same inflammatory/digestive irritating effects as citric acid. i dont know the amount they put in magnesium but its usually significant. if its 200mg elemental magnesium it could easily have a gram or more of malic acid. malic acid is likely never sourced from real fruits in supplements, its sourced from molds. i heard theres something about the L malic acid vs D malic forms too, i think one is natural one is the synthetic supplement one.

allicin could do it, its garlic extract?
olive leaf could if quality is poor
vitamin c could if quality is poor

if theres mag stearate or silica in the capsules that could possibly do it

Birdie

I've never taken those supplements, except maybe, ascorbic acid before I found Ray Peat. I think I've seen that he gives good reasons to avoid all those.

On the salt, I add it too. I have a little bowl in the kitchen and I take a pinch before making coffee and before I eat. I have another bowl an a salt grinder on the table. It's hard to get enough but I try to make it easy.

BearWithMe

Honestly all of the things you mentioned in the title make my digestion worse, especially allicin and olive leaf extract

Vileplume

Most supplements make my digestion worse:

-gelatin capsules
-aspirin
-thiamine HCL
-magnesium glycinate

and a ton of others, give me bloating and bacterial issues.... It's just like what Peat mentions: In the manufacturing process of any supplement, a lot of inflammatory junk and biproducts can enter the equation.

Last edited:
OP
M

Motif

But the thing is my chronic skin issues which are the reason I am here are much better. But I don’t know why exactly

Dr. B

Most supplements make my digestion worse:

-gelatin capsules
-aspirin
-thiamine HCL
-magnesium glycinate

and a ton of others, give me bloating and bacterial issues.... It's just like what Peat mentions: In the manufacturing process of any supplement, a lot of inflammatory junk and biproducts can enter the equation.
which brand of thiamine hcl did you use?
i think glycine powders/supplements have issues with sourcing. im not sure what theyre sourced from, but magnesium aspartate is the only one ive found that doesnt badly effect, or even improves digestion. glycinate is acceptable, citrate/malate cause irritation

Honestly all of the things you mentioned in the title make my digestion worse, especially allicin and olive leaf extract
which brand of olive leaf, what did it do to your digestion? i think it is a natural antibiotic right. i wonder if its safe to use every other day... island nutrition on amazon seems like a good brand... what if you take it alongside apple cider vinegar capsules and activated charcoal capsules

Dr. B

do you notice a correlation that anything that worsens digestion also worsens skin texture and oiliness and acne etc?
olive leaf causes lots of stomach rumbling and indigestion type effects. why do you think this is

Dr. B

Absolutely. Also, hair loss.
can you describe what happened to you with olive leaf and which brand used? did you get indigestion type symptoms?
i used island nutrition olive leaf along with promethean wellness apple cider vinegar. i thought it was the vinegar, that maybe freeze drying vinegar into powder makes it cause indigestion, and because that product also has things like small amounts of inulin, lemon powder, cayenne powder and ginger. but I think it was likely the olive leaf causing things. indigestion symptoms and that indigestion in itself leads to oily skin, acne, and fatigue.

BearWithMe

can you describe what happened to you with olive leaf and which brand used? did you get indigestion type symptoms?
i used island nutrition olive leaf along with promethean wellness apple cider vinegar. i thought it was the vinegar, that maybe freeze drying vinegar into powder makes it cause indigestion, and because that product also has things like small amounts of inulin, lemon powder, cayenne powder and ginger. but I think it was likely the olive leaf causing things. indigestion symptoms and that indigestion in itself leads to oily skin, acne, and fatigue.
Why would you use such supplement. I'm surprised there are people that can take it and not get indigestion

Dr. B

Why would you use such supplement. I'm surprised there are people that can take it and not get indigestion
hey mate how long did you use olive leaf for?
it is an antibiotic like substance so it could cause lots of bacterial die off which will then cause endotoxin. did you try to push through it? the symptoms are all endotoxin related I think. so Ive added vitamin C, im thinking of adding in vitamin A, D and charcoal since they're all anti endotoxin.

BearWithMe

hey mate how long did you use olive leaf for?
it is an antibiotic like substance so it could cause lots of bacterial die off which will then cause endotoxin. did you try to push through it? the symptoms are all endotoxin related I think. so Ive added vitamin C, im thinking of adding in vitamin A, D and charcoal since they're all anti endotoxin.
I'm very familiar with the feeling of endotoxin overload. Olive leaf gives just plain stomach irritation.

Dr. B

wouldnt ascorbic acid increase digestion since its acidic.

Dr. B

i used a high quality Spanish olive leaf extract brand, island nutrition. and it does seem to cause slowed digestion, bloating, indigestion. why?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom