What Can You Do With Masa Harina Beside Tortilla?

Philomath

I too made pancakes. 1 cup masa, 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 1tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, salt and I added some sugar. I also added about a 1/2 cup water to make it thinner. Came out tasting a little like cornbread - fluffy like normal pancakes - not bad really. Kids were so so on them. Next time I'll try 1/2 masa, 1/2 arrow root flour or something to cut the heavy corn flavor.
I also make gorditas which are like cornbread pitas.

BingDing

This is from p 135 of a low carber forum thread. Ironically, a sugar-free zone.

Just to add a little life, I'll post my RP friendly recipe.

My intention was to make a more stick-to -your- ribs version of Atole which is a Mexican warm drink made from milk and corn meal/masa.
I would like to find an organic, bulk masa but so far am using organic cornmeal.

For each serving;
1 cup milk
1 T masa
a little salt
vanilla and sweetener to taste
Whisk while heating til thick.

To this basic recipe I added an egg which I beat separately and tempered before whisking in.

It turned out to be more like porridge which I ate out of a bowl with a bit of butter.....basically, it turned out like a stove top custard with cornmeal texture.

I cooked it very slowly so the meal was quite soft.

I added just a little sweetener and vanilla and it was too sweet. I am not a fan of sweetened hot cereals and would probably add less/none in the future.

BUT this turned out delicious and I will add it to my breakfast list (which is pretty short).

My next cooking experiment is to come up with a spoon bread like my mom made. It, too, is not sweet but like a baked cornmeal custard....the custard was thicker on the top if I remember correctly.

I'll check out the local co op for a good quality masa.

Hope you are all well and having a great holiday season.

Oh, I almost forgot; I added 1 tsp gelatin at the beginning w the cornmeal and cold milk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals