What can cause a yeast problem before period?

Peata

I've tried searching for the answer to this, and the only thing I found was a short article saying lowered estrogen before one's period can cause yeast overgrowth. A lot of articles are vague, just stating it can happen and the usual advice to avoid sugar and stuff. I want real answers if possible, that these articles just aren't digging into.

Is there any other information on why a woman would get yeast days before her period? This has happened in the past. There were times it only lasted one day and times it continued on until period started. Often it doesn't happen at all. But this month it did.

Not sure what I did differently that caused it. It's not severe by any means, but still an annoyance and discomfort. I am taking the carrot salad daily since about Thursday (yeast came on Friday). Period could come any day now.

Dewitt

Progesterone levels take a big nosedive right before period. That might cause it.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thank you. I'm going to work harder next cycle on increasing progesterone levels.

I'm taking lots of zinc, which I read increased progesterone, but apparently it's still not enough. This is on top of the RP eating, vitamin E, low dose aspirin, minerals, carrot salad, etc. I did not use much Progest-E this time.

lindsay

I used to have trouble with this when the weather was hot and humid. I stopped having issues when I started swimming, however (probably from the pool chemicles).
You may consider trying coconut oil, as it's anti-microbial. In fact, the progest-e and some coconut oil might help quite a bit.
It might be worthwhile to get a pH kit and see what your pH levels are when this creeps up. It could give you an idea of what kinds of food to avoid or eat more of during these times. I have a friend who has trouble with alkaline/acid balance in her system and she has a wicked candida infection right now. It seems pH levels could be a good indicator.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thank you for your reply, Lindsay.

I eat at least 1 t. coconut oil daily, usually a few, not including what I use in cooking. I've never used pH strips before, that's something to look into.

Kelly

I was struggling with yeast infections for several months. At different points in my cycle. One of my worst cycles it was there for the entire time, it was severe, it was miserable. Check out this probiotic. Read the most helpful reviews for the best way to use it. I took it for 2 months, several days leading up to then several days after my period. It kicked mine and it's been oh, I'd say 4 or 5 months and no more yeast infections.

http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulas-F ... B0013OUK3E

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks, Kelly, for the probiotic rec.

The yeast is gone now. No period yet.

Lilly

low thyroid lowers immunity, what are your temps and heart rate? also, supplementing Progest E in the luteal phase is a thing to do to lower estrogen.

OP
Peata

Peata

Lilly said:
low thyroid lowers immunity, what are your temps and heart rate? also, supplementing Progest E in the luteal phase is a thing to do to lower estrogen.

I was just gonna come here and post that I've also read that a woman's immunity is lowered before period, probably another reason the yeast can go out of control.

I haven't been monitoring temps and heart rate as much as I used to. But this morning at 8 a.m. my temp was 97.7 That was just before I had my morning coffee.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals