What brand/type of sugar do you use?

Jennifer

I use raw honey, maple syrup from my uncle’s trees in NH and this sugar:

Scarytrout

I've gotten different brands from places around town. Many of them taste burnt or have a bit of flavor besides sweetness alone. Most recently I tried the regular Aldi white sugar and liked it. It's probably beet sugar. It's very white, consistent, and doesn't have a tinge of other flavor to it.

J.R.K

Interesting on your sugar choice @Jennifer. I am curious if there is some Policosinols in this sugar as well?

Jennifer

@J.R.K, I would think it contains policosanol, since it’s whole cane juice. I chose it as a substitute for when ripe fruit is scarce and to lessen my dependency on cooked sugars because it’s truly raw. I experience digestive upset if I have more than a small amount of cooked sugars—maple syrup, white sugar, pasteurized fruit juice etc.—but can have as much of the raw cane juice crystals as I want without issue.

J.R.K

@J.R.K, I would think it contains policosanol, since it’s whole cane juice. I chose it as a substitute for when ripe fruit is scarce and to lessen my dependency on cooked sugars because it’s truly raw. I experience digestive upset if I have more than a small amount of cooked sugars—maple syrup, white sugar, pasteurized fruit juice etc.—but can have as much of the raw cane juice crystals as I want without issue.
Sounds like some very good reasons, thanks for sharing @Jennifer !

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sorta off topic but not. The sugar isle was almost wiped out at Walmart. I saw a bag of Florida Crystals and figured I better get it while the gettin was good. :ss2

Sefton10

Found a UK version

Sefton10

Attachments

• 1634546677648.png
    1634546677648.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 49

Jennifer

My pleasure, @J.R.K. :)

@Sefton10, nice finds! I’ve also tried this freeze-dried cane juice:

Amazon product ASIN B07Q3SSMZPView: https://www.amazon.com/Vinamit-Freeze-Dried-Sugarcane-Juice/dp/B07Q3SSMZP?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I’m not sure if it’s an accurate reflection of what fresh sugarcane juice tastes like or because it’s a grass, but it tasted very green and I’m not a fan of that grassy, vegetal flavor. I did find another one on Amazon, and might give it a try just to compare:

Amazon product ASIN B09FTPJDWHView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FTPJDWH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JXNE000S5FDL&psc=1

Even though it’s raw, I still think there’s some caramelization that happens with the sun-drying process because the cane juice crystals have a molasses flavor, just not as intense as brown sugar, and the freeze-dried cane juice didn’t have any molasses flavor or browning. I mention this for those who may be sensitive to the caramelization—Ray has said that the browning of sugars makes it more likely to be allergenic. He’s also said how other impurities in brown sugar can be slightly toxic and allergenic so I still rely mainly on raw Thai coconut water as my main substitute for ripe fruit when it isn’t available.

For reference, here are some of Ray’s quotes on sugar and coconut water:

[BROWN SUGAR] No, although there are some nutrient minerals in it, the impurities can be slightly toxic and allergenic .

[COCONUT SUGAR] If it's browned from heating, it's more likely to be allergenic, and even without too much heat, some people are likely to be allergic to it. But if it doesn't cause any reactions, then it's very good, with some nutritional value. Honey is in some ways better than white sugar, but depending on the plants it's derived from, it can be allergenic. White sugar has the advantage of being very clean. Fruits have many valuable nutrients, so are the best way to get sugars, when good ones are available.

[Blackstrap molasses?] Although it's extremely rich in minerals, I think the intense heat used for concentrating it degrades the sugar into things that are likely to be allergens.

[Coconut water] If it is fresh from the coconut, it's good, also if it has been bottled without additives.

Jennifer

And just in case Vileplume happens to read this thread, or anyone else nervous about white sugar depleting minerals, Ray also said this about sugar:

[SUGAR HIGH] If the rest of your diet is good, the energy bursts from sugar should level off, and become a steady increased metabolic rate.

[Anti-sugar cult] There is a great anti-sugar cult, with even moralistic overtones,equating sugar craving with morphine addiction. Sugar craving is usually caused by the need for sugar, generally caused by hypothyroidism.When yeasts have enough sugar, they just happily make ethanol, but when they don't have sugar, they can sink filaments into the intestine wall seeking it, and, if the person is very weak, they can even invade the bloodstream and other organs. Milk, cheese, and fruits provide a very good balance of nutrients. Fruits provide a significant amount of protein. Plain sugar is o.k. when the other nutrients are adequate. Roots, shoots, and tubers are, next to the fruits, a good carbohydrate source; potatoes are a source of good protein. Meat as the main protein can provide too much phosphorus in relation to calcium.

I checked a few of the references that were on the charts in his video, and didn't find any facts that would necessarily support what he was saying. Many people are publishing similar extreme interpretations. His ideas about alcohol, appetite, addiction, insulin, and leptin are stereotyped medical cliches, that aren't supported clearly by good evidence [SUGAR THE BITTER TRUTH - LUSTIG].

I think a total for sugar up to ten ounces can be o.k., depending on your metabolic rate and needs. Budd and Piorry used up to 12 ounces per day therapeutically.

If your other foods are rich in vitamins and minerals it's safe.

To prevent stress, or to replenish glycogen stores after stress, your appetite for it is likely to be a good guide.

Sefton10

Good info @Jennifer. I've ordered a few kilos of the raw sugar cane juice crystals. I figure with the potential supply chain disruption and the general lack of quality ripe fruit over winter, it's good to have on hand as a back up (and honey alternative). Definitely seems more nutritious than plain table sugar, although a lot more expensive.

清貴杉山

And just in case Vileplume happens to read this thread, or anyone else nervous about white sugar depleting minerals, Ray also said this about sugar:

[SUGAR HIGH] If the rest of your diet is good, the energy bursts from sugar should level off, and become a steady increased metabolic rate.

[Anti-sugar cult] There is a great anti-sugar cult, with even moralistic overtones,equating sugar craving with morphine addiction. Sugar craving is usually caused by the need for sugar, generally caused by hypothyroidism.When yeasts have enough sugar, they just happily make ethanol, but when they don't have sugar, they can sink filaments into the intestine wall seeking it, and, if the person is very weak, they can even invade the bloodstream and other organs. Milk, cheese, and fruits provide a very good balance of nutrients. Fruits provide a significant amount of protein. Plain sugar is o.k. when the other nutrients are adequate. Roots, shoots, and tubers are, next to the fruits, a good carbohydrate source; potatoes are a source of good protein. Meat as the main protein can provide too much phosphorus in relation to calcium.

I checked a few of the references that were on the charts in his video, and didn't find any facts that would necessarily support what he was saying. Many people are publishing similar extreme interpretations. His ideas about alcohol, appetite, addiction, insulin, and leptin are stereotyped medical cliches, that aren't supported clearly by good evidence [SUGAR THE BITTER TRUTH - LUSTIG].

I think a total for sugar up to ten ounces can be o.k., depending on your metabolic rate and needs. Budd and Piorry used up to 12 ounces per day therapeutically.

If your other foods are rich in vitamins and minerals it's safe.

To prevent stress, or to replenish glycogen stores after stress, your appetite for it is likely to be a good guide.

Excellent info,iv been struggling a bit to get my carbs in and not relying in corn masa or organic white rice,i think i will start to use more white sugar again,need the extra calories

Jennifer

@Sefton10, you and I had the same idea. I stocked up on the cane crystals (bought 9 kilos) and coconut water—I have it in the freezer—just in case. Like Charlie mentioned, I’m already seeing a lot of empty shelves in stores so I figured I should probably build up my supply just in case. Plus, I like to have non-perishable food on hand during the winter when I can’t always get to the store due to snowstorms.

@MarianoBecchi, I hope sugar works out well for you. :)

aniciete

Are you still using those cane juice crystals? I’ve never heard of those but it looks interesting.

Jennifer

Yep, I’m still using the cane juice crystals, @aniciete. I got back into the habit of drinking black tea recently and have been using the crystals to sweeten it.

aniciete

Yep, I’m still using the cane juice crystals, @aniciete. I got back into the habit of drinking black tea recently and have been using the crystals to sweeten it.
Thanks! I ordered 10lbs to put in coffee. Im starting to think refined cane sugar is making my digestion slower because raw honey causes no issues but unfortunately it’s hard to find a non allergenic honey for myself.