What Aspect Of Light Exposure Is Most Central To Health?

Collden

Pretty convinced light exposure is one of the most crucial keys to good health, but what is it about light? Is it Vitamin D production, direct effect of penetrating red light on cells, the effect on melatonin and dopamine via the retina, or something else?

I suspect that the stimulatory effect of retinal light exposure on the whole organism is likely more important than either vitamin D or direct skin exposure to penetrating red light. Every christmas when I travel up from about 45 deg latitude to 60 deg latitude for my holidays and basically get zero really bright light exposure, my health just falls apart within days - depressed and tired all the time, digestion slowed down to a crawl, bloated and severely inflamed. It seems direct skin exposure to light could not account for this rapid deterioration since that was already basically zero. I made a big effort to become vitamin D replete last year but it did not really have any profound impact on my health, but I still didnt spend much time outside in the daylight beyond some noon whole body sun exposure, I'm wondering if this is the missing link.

Has anyone noticed a big impact on their health from spending much more time outdoors during the daylight hours?

squanch

Yes I've noticed similar things.
I've tried vitamin D oral, sublingual and topical and in relatively high doses. Never really noticed any significant effects, positive or negative.
Sitting in front of a high watt halogen lamp in the winter gives me this hard to describe "lying on the beach" feeling. Without any vitamin D synthesis from the lamp (UV filter glass).

Circadian rhythm is another somewhat related topic that I'm experimenting with this winter. Blue light exposure in the morning and earlier bedtimes (while maintaining the same total hours of sleep) all seem to have a positive impact on my health during winter.

Unfortunately it's very hard to get enough natural bright light exposure during European winters compared to the US. Here's a map that compares the sunshine duration of both.

Ps2DbeC.png

Last edited:
OP
C

Collden

Interesting map, the US is indeed pretty well off when it comes to solar intensity. Circadian rhythm regulation is probably a big factor I agree. I think aside from morning bright light exposure there's probably a more linear endocrine effect of light, daytime melatonin levels seem to be suppressed in direct proportion to the amount of daytime bright light exposure, and many studies suggest a dose-response relationship between amount of daily daylight exposure and risk of developing myopia.

I wonder also if the sheer brightness of the daylight has an additional endocrine effect, latitude seems to be such a huge factor influencing our health, and the intensity of the visible sunlight varies substantially with how far you are from the equator. Even a perfectly clear summer day in northern Europe will be substantially less bright than a sunny day in North Africa.

achillea

Dr Klinghardt talking about light on the inside of the body and how cells communicate. Very interesting to those of us who are into healing red light.

L

lollipop

Dr Klinghardt talking about light on the inside of the body and how cells communicate. Very interesting to those of us who are into healing red light.

Very interesting @achillea. Have you received a treatment? @yerrag, this might be interesting to watch especially about detoxification of Mercury and other toxins.